Different Therapy Approaches May Help Different Personality TypesJune 21, 2010
For those battling depression, both cognitive-behavioral therapy and interpersonal psychotherapy have long been recognized as very effective means of overcoming depression. A new study printed in the British Journal of Psychiatry and published on PsychiatryOnline.org shows that differing personality traits can affect how responsive people are to these two main types of therapy. The researchers wanted to know if certain personality traits made treatment less effective. Their conclusion: the success of interpersonal therapy seemed to vary based on the individual’s personality and temperament, while the success of cognitive-behavioral therapy showed no difference based on personality traits. This can help therapists further match clients with the best form of treatment not only for their struggles (e.g. depression), but their personality as well.
© Copyright 2010 by www.GoodTherapy.org - All Rights Reserved.
The preceding article summarizes research or news from periodicals or related source material in the fields of mental health and psychology. GoodTherapy.org did not participate in or condone any studies, or conclucions thereof, that may have been cited. Any views or opinions expressed are not necessarily shared by GoodTherapy.org.
Erin AshleyJune 22nd, 2010 at 4:32 PM
I agree that no single therapy approach will work for everybody but it is all about the human psyche and it differs from person to person which in turn is determined by a whole lot of factors…
minakoJune 22nd, 2010 at 4:34 PM
surely this recognition will lead to much better therapy choices between doctors and patients
Leave a Comment
By commenting you acknowledge acceptance of GoodTherapy.org's Terms and Conditions of Use.
Do you have a mental health story or experience that you wish to share? Whether your story is about therapy or psychiatry, self-help, personal healing, wellness, or a particular mental health condition or challenge, please consider contributing your written story to GoodTherapy.org!Share Today
Search Our Blog
- Gianna: I’ve been chewing the inside of my mouth for about ten years now. I do it every few months. The pain following days after is...
- Cleopatra: I’m the Other Woman, the Mistress. I’ve had affairs with five married men. It’s the same story with all of them:...
- leroy: Im black…do i have a destiny?
- Mike: Three weeks is a blink of an eye. Some people hide their depression for decades.
- Melissa C.: Cici As you already have stated that grandbaby has to be first priority. Her mother will do what she’s gonna do until she hits...