Different Therapy Approaches May Help Different Personality TypesJune 21, 2010
For those battling depression, both cognitive-behavioral therapy and interpersonal psychotherapy have long been recognized as very effective means of overcoming depression. A new study printed in the British Journal of Psychiatry and published on PsychiatryOnline.org shows that differing personality traits can affect how responsive people are to these two main types of therapy. The researchers wanted to know if certain personality traits made treatment less effective. Their conclusion: the success of interpersonal therapy seemed to vary based on the individual’s personality and temperament, while the success of cognitive-behavioral therapy showed no difference based on personality traits. This can help therapists further match clients with the best form of treatment not only for their struggles (e.g. depression), but their personality as well.
© Copyright 2010 by www.GoodTherapy.org - All Rights Reserved.
The preceding article summarizes research or news from periodicals or related source material in the fields of mental health and psychology. GoodTherapy.org did not participate in or condone any studies, or conclucions thereof, that may have been cited. Any views or opinions expressed are not necessarily shared by GoodTherapy.org.
Erin AshleyJune 22nd, 2010 at 4:32 PM
I agree that no single therapy approach will work for everybody but it is all about the human psyche and it differs from person to person which in turn is determined by a whole lot of factors…
minakoJune 22nd, 2010 at 4:34 PM
surely this recognition will lead to much better therapy choices between doctors and patients
Leave a Comment
By commenting you acknowledge acceptance of GoodTherapy.org's Terms and Conditions of Use.
Search Our Blog
- madison: ClaudeA, Unfortunately, she’s been very resistant to talking, with me, with her family or friends, even the marriage counselor we...
- Katie: Thank you, Helene!
- Anonymous: I don’t know @Carpe Diem…..so let me be clear…he hooked up with his ex he had not seen in a year, knocked her up and...
- Rose: J Ray, I don’t know where you are from, but here in usa they used to have emergency medicaid. But he’d need to qualify for it....
- Lori Hollander: Jason, Thanks for your thoughts!