Welcome to GoodTherapy.org! The following resources and information will help people to become more familiar, comfortable, and knowledgeable about healthy therapy and counseling.
- What is Therapy? - If you aren't quite sure what therapy is, how it works, or how it affects people, consider reading this basic overview.
- Benefits of Therapy - What are the benefits of therapy? What kind of conditions does it treat? Learn more on this page.
- Modes of Therapy - This page explains several of the most common categories of therapy, such as couples counseling, family therapy, and group therapy. Learn how these modes of therapy differ or compare to one another, and decide which modality is right for your needs.
- Types of Therapy - This is a compendium of specific types of psychotherapies, from traditional to innovative. Click on the links to learn about each type in greater detail.
- Issues Treated in Therapy - This is a compendium of mental health issues that can be treated in therapy. There is no wrong reason for consulting a mental health professional. Click on the links to review definitions of each issue, brief descriptions of the diagnostic criteria, and examples of real life case studies.
- Psychotropic Medication - GoodTherapy.org offers our view on psychotropic medication, as well as various resources related to the topic.
What Makes Good Therapy?
- Elements of Good Therapy - Discover GoodTherapy.org's elements of good therapy. Our organization is founded on these tenets, and we encourage our therapist members to uphold them in their psychotherapeutic practice.
- How to Find the Right Therapist - If you are going to start therapy, it's important to find the right therapist. We offer tips for people seeking therapy on how to find a therapist that suits your needs. You can also search the GoodTherapy.org therapist directory for a mental health professional in your area.
- Signs of Healthy Therapy - Here are fifty signs of productive and healthy therapy.
- Warning Signs in Therapy - Here you can review a list of fifty common warning signs of questionable therapy.
- Famous Psychologists - Learn more about influential psychologists and psychotherapists and their contributions to the mental health field. Over a hundred biographies of people from history and today are featured in this compendium.
- Ethics in Therapy - Licensed mental health professionals are guided by ethical codes in their therapeutic work. Here you can read the various ethical codes and educate yourself on what to look for in ethical therapy.
- Learn About Free Counseling and Affordable Therapy - Financial issues should not prevent you from getting necessary care. GoodTherapy.org has provided a guide on how to find therapy on a budget.
- Dear GoodTherapy.org - Licensed therapists are available to answer your questions about therapy through our online syndicated column, Dear GoodTherapy.org. Submit your question today, and it could be featured in one of our weekly answers.
- Resources for People Interested In Therapy and Mental Health - Some people want as much information as possible about their concerns. Here is a collection of mental health resources, such as workshops and blogs. The links are organized by topic.
- Psychology, Therapy, and Mental Health Podcasts - Podcasts can be a convenient, accessible way to learn about the world. GoodTherapy.org offers two lists of podcasts: one list is for people seeking information about mental health concerns, and the other list is targeted for professionals seeking advice and inspiration. All the podcasts are free to download.
- FREE Online Workshops - GoodTherapy.org offers recorded online informational workshops presented by mental health professionals available to the public for free. Our events cover topics such as self-esteem, depression, relationships, and more.
Last Update: 05-15-2018