Betsy Trumbull, LCSW
Betsy Trumbull, LCSW
|Professions: Clinical Social Worker|
|License Status: I'm a licensed professional.|
|Primary Credential: LCSW - L4128|
Billing and Insurance
I am an in-network provider for:
See other therapists in Portland, OR.
My therapy approach is rooted in cognitive-behavior therapy, which focuses on understanding how thoughts influence emotions that influence behavior. The focus of therapy is on targeting and decreasing problematic thoughts and increasing effective behaviors that move you towards goals that you have. I often give either written homework or skills to practice in between sessions to support the changes you are trying to make. My therapy style balances two primary things: acceptance and change. I am a skilled listener and will do so with understanding and compassion because feeling heard, understood, and accepted is a crucial part of the therapy process. I also do a lot of talking: offering insight, asking questions to help you gain insight, sharing stories, metaphors, and analogies. I draw things on a whiteboard so we can both get a better understanding of what is happening and how to find solutions. I use examples from my own life. I use a lot of humor and irreverence because I believe there is room for laughter even in the midst of pain. I will tell you what you need to hear (not what you want to hear) because it is my most important job to help you grow and change in the ways you want to grow and change.
Email or Call Betsy Trumbull, LCSW at 1-800-651-8085 ext. 21720
More Info About My Practice
I accept most insurance plans and offer a sliding scale to clients who may need to pay out of pocket. Because having a good fit with your therapist is a huge component in how successful therapy will be, I also offer a free 30 minute phone consultation so you have a chance to ask questions, tell me more about what you are looking for and for us both to get a sense of whether we would be a good fit.
Specific Issue(s) I'm Skilled at Helping With
My areas of specialty are:
- Problems with mood including depression, anxiety and anger
- Posttraumatic Stress Disorder recovery
- Difficulty coping with life transitions
- Addictions including: substance dependence or abuse, internet addiction, sexual addiction, problematic gambling
- Relationship problems including dissatisfaction with relationship, frequent conflict, physical intimacy problems, feelings of disconnection in relationship and recovering from infidelity
- LBGTQ friendly and alternative lifestyle friendly couples and family therapy services
- Problems coping with a spouse or family member who has been diagnosed with Borderline - Personality Disorder or other mental health diagnoses
- Social isolation or lack of social supports
- Feeling stuck or unsure of goals for your life
- Behavior problems including avoidance, over-spending, lack of organization, not attending to responsibilities, social isolation
How Psychotherapy Can Help
We all know that life can present many challenges along the way: some we know exactly how to cope with while some leave us at a loss and areas of our lives like work, close relationships, social activities or daily responsibilities begin to suffer. You may be finding that, despite your best efforts you just don't know how to make things better. When this is the case, therapy with a trained professional therapist can be hugely beneficial. As a therapist, it is my priority to deeply understand from a non-judgmental place what your challenges are, what your strengths are and what is most important to you. My ultimate goal is to help you gain the insight as well as the tools you need to, in essence, be your own therapist so you can solve whatever challenges are presented to you.
Services I Provide
- Clinical Supervision
- Family Therapy
- Group Therapy
- Individual Therapy & Counseling
- Marriage, Couples, or Relationship Counseling
- Online Counseling / Phone Therapy
Ages I Work With
By using this site, you signify your assent and agreement to the Terms of Service.