Well, maybe not real fireworks. But according to MeiMei Fox—a speaker, depth psychotherapy life coach, and author of a recent article—feeling as if fireworks are exploding is one of the 10 sure signs that you’ve found your true love. Fox, who has had her share of failed relationships, worked with her new husband to come up with 10 signs that partner is Mr. or Mrs. Right:
- Sexual attraction: Even though fireworks may eventually smolder, sexual attraction to your partner is a must and serves as a foundation for love, honesty, and intimacy.
- Authenticity: Partners should be comfortable with each other exactly as they are, with no pressure to act like someone they’re not.
- Commitment: If one partner is not able to commit wholeheartedly to the relationship, it could mean they have doubts. Commitment is at the core of a true loving union.
- Honesty: There is no place for secrets in the most important relationship of your life. “When it’s true love, you should find yourself wanting to share everything,” Fox says. “Your love is made simple and true by being honest.”
- Unity: Each partner must put his or her needs behind those of the relationship. As the old saying goes: “There is no ‘I’ in team.” True love is about teamwork.
- Priority No. 1: The relationship should come before anything else. The love you share with your soulmate should be the most valuable thing in both of your lives, and you should stay committed to letting nothing get in the way of working toward and sharing in its success.
- It’s romantic: Relationships should not be all work. They should be fun, and each partner should be living in the fun of the relationship rather than talking about the relationship and its problems.
- Your friends are happy: People sometimes worry too much about what their friends will think of a new love interest. Fox agrees that outsiders may be able to see things in your partner that you can’t. When family and friends like the person who makes you happy, it’s a good sign.
- You want to be home: Looking forward to returning home to the arms of your partner reinforces that you’re with someone you love, value, and enjoy being with.
- Having that lucky feeling: Fox says that she feels as if she’s won the lottery every morning she wakes up next to her husband. Although that might not happen all the time for most people, you can be pretty sure you’ve found a keeper if you feel darned lucky that he or she found you too.
Fox, MeiMei. 10 Signs You’ve Found “The One” (n.d.): n. pag. The Huffington Post. 12 Sept. 2012. Web. 12 Sept. 2012. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/meimei-fox/10-signs-youve-found-the-_b_1870841.html
© Copyright 2012 GoodTherapy.org. All rights reserved.
The preceding article was solely written by the author named above. Any views and opinions expressed are not necessarily shared by GoodTherapy.org. Questions or concerns about the preceding article can be directed to the author or posted as a comment below.