Meeting the Treatment Needs of Iraq and Afghanistan War Veterans: Promoting Treatment-Engagement, Delivering Evidenced-Based Care, and Addressing High Risk Behaviors in Returning Veterans
Presented by Matthew Jakupcak, PhD on 03-08-2013 at 9 a.m. Pacific to 10:30 a.m. Pacific (1:30 p.m. Eastern)
Dr. Jakupcak will present on the treatment needs of returning veterans who have served in support of the Iraq and Afghanistan Wars. Specifically, he will describe the most common mental and physical health conditions present among this recent cohort of veterans, including the rates of subthreshold and threshold posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD), depression, chronic pain, and traumatic brain injuries (TBI) observed in military and veteran samples.
Dr. Jakupcak will also review the challenges of engaging this population in mental healthcare and specific approaches that may be used to promote readiness for care. He will review evidenced-based treatments for common deployment related conditions, including novel treatment strategies such as tele-mental health and web-based treatments, mindfulness training, behavioral activation for PTSD, and complementary and alternative treatments such as mantra repetition that can be delivered in non-mental health settings such as primary care clinics. Finally, Dr. Jakupcak will review high-risk behaviors common to returning veterans, including suicidal behaviors, interpersonal aggression and violence, risk-taking, and substance abuse. The importance and challenges of addressing these behaviors in treatment will be discussed.
This web conference is intermediate instructional level and designed to help clinicians:
- Understand mental healthcare utilization in returning veterans;
- Provide novel treatment strategies to address posttraumatic stress disorder and comorbid mental disorders;
- Identify risk factors for suicidality and aggression;
- Recognize substance abuse disorders.
If you have any questions about this Web Conference or would like more information, please contact us here.
How the Web Conference Works
In short, participants will be able to listen to the event by calling in to our teleconference center. Prior to the event, all participants will be sent an email with instructions on how to login to the teleconference center. This event will include lecture, interaction, and question and answer periods.
All are available to GoodTherapy.org members at no additional cost.
Continuing Education (CE) Information
1.5 CE credits will be provided by GoodTherapy.org for attending this web conference in its entirety.
GoodTherapy.org is also an Approved Education Provider by NAADAC, The Association for Addiction Professionals (provider #135463). Of the eight counselor skill groups ascribed to by NAADAC, this course is classified within counseling services.
GoodTherapy.org is an NBCC-Approved Continuing Education Provider (ACEPTM) and may offer NBCC-approved clock hours for events that meet NBCC requirements.
GoodTherapy.org, provider #1352, is approved as a provider for social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) www.aswb.org, through the Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program. ASWB Approval Period: March 30, 2016 through March 30, 2019. Social workers should contact their regulatory board to determine course approval. Social workers participating in this course will receive two clinical continuing education clock hours.
GoodTherapy.org is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. GoodTherapy.org maintains responsibility for this program and its content.
GoodTherapy.org, SW CPE is recognized by the New York State Education Department's State Board for Social Work as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed social workers #0395.
This web conference is available for free to GoodTherapy.org members.
This event has already taken place. An audio recording for this event may be available in the Member's Area.
Meet the Presenter
Matthew Jakupcak, PhD
Matthew Jakupcak is the lead clinical psychologist in Deployment Health Services at the Seattle Division of the VA Puget Sound Health Care System. He is also an Assistant Professor at the University of Washington's Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences. Dr. Jakupcak has been conducting research and providing direct clinical care to Iraq and Afghanistan War Veterans since 2004.
Continuing Education Provider Approvals
- GoodTherapy.org is Approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. GoodTherapy.org maintains responsibility for this program and its content. GoodTherapy.org received APA approval in May 2011. Events after 2011 may meet APA requirements for Continuing Education credits.
- GoodTherapy.org has been approved by NBCC as an Approved Continuing Education Provider, ACEP No. 6380. Programs that do not qualify for NBCC credit are clearly identified. GoodTherapy.org is solely responsible for all aspects of the programs.
- This course has been approved by GoodTherapy.org, as a NAADAC Approved Education Provider, for educational credits. NAADAC Provider #135463. GoodTherapy.org is responsible for all aspects of their programming.
- GoodTherapy.org, provider #1352, is approved as a provider for social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) www.aswb.org through the Approved Continuing Education (ACE) Program. GoodTherapy.org maintains responsibility for the program. ASWB Approval Period: 03/30/2016 – 03/30/2019. Social workers should contact their regulatory board to determine course approval for continuing education credits. Social workers participating in this course will receive 2 clinical continuing education clock hours.
- GoodTherapy.org, LLC is recognized by the New York State Education Department's State Board for Social Work as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed social workers #SW-0395.
- GoodTherapy.org, LLC is recognized by the New York State Education Department's State Board for Mental Health Practitioners as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed marriage and family therapists #MFT-0022 and for licensed mental health counselors #MHC-0031.