Best Practices for Successful Legal and Ethical Online Counseling and Coaching
Presented by Marlene M. Maheu, PhD on 09-14-2012 at 9 a.m. Pacific
People in therapy are clamoring for email addresses. Some send text messages. Others want to connect through Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and professional websites. Yet, many mental health practitioners still practice as if they are not living in a worldwide economy that is driven by technology.
During this 90-minute Web Conference, Dr. Maheu will outline key legal and ethical mandates incumbent upon mental health professionals as they embark upon the use of new and emerging technologies to render services from their computers. Topics covered in educational stories will showcase legal and ethical dilemmas related to Skype, Facebook, Blogging, Google, videoconferencing, practicing over state lines, informed consent, HIPAA, and other risk management concerns. Participants will glimpse the far-reaching and exciting new horizons that await the cautious but forward-thinking clinician and coach.
Many clinicians recognize the importance of using technologies in their clinical practice, but they may be at a loss when it comes to understanding where to start. This Web Conference will provide preliminary guidance for how to incorporate psychotechnologies into everyday clinical practice. It will also provide a glimpse at the scientific literature that's been developing for the last 50 years.
This Web Conference is designed to help clinicians:
1) Describe one ethical dilemma related to Skype and the ethical code that help practitioners think through these types of dilemmas;
2) Discuss the legal issues related to practicing over state lines or international borders for mental health;
3) Outline one key element of a risk management plan for working online with people in therapy.
If you have any questions about this Web Conference or would like more information, please contact us here.
How the Web Conference Works
In short, participants will be able to listen to the event by calling in to our teleconference center. Prior to the event, all participants will be sent an email with instructions on how to login to the teleconference center. This event will include lecture, interaction, and question and answer periods.
All are available to GoodTherapy.org members at no additional cost.
Continuing Education (CE) Information
1.5 CE credits will be provided by GoodTherapy.org for attending this Web Conference in its entirety.
“GoodTherapy.org" is an NBCC-Approved Continuing Education Provider (ACEPTM) and may offer NBCC-approved clock hours for events that meet NBCC requirements. GoodTherapy.org solely is responsible for all aspects of the program.
GoodTherapy.org is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. GoodTherapy.org maintains responsibility for this program and its content.
GoodTherapy.org, SW CPE is recognized by the New York State Education Department's State Board for Social Work as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed social workers #0395.
This Web Conference is available for free to GoodTherapy.org Members.
This event has already taken place. An audio recording for this event may be available in the Member's Area.
Meet the Presenter
Marlene M. Maheu, PhD
Dr. Marlene Maheu has been a leader and pioneer in telehealth since 1994. Named "psychology's telehealth visionary" by Dr. Pat DeLeon, Dr.Maheu was the first independent practitioner to develop an online consumer portal for psychology worldwide, and she chaired the first Telehealth-related Task Force at the APA in 1995.
In 1998, Dr. Maheu was appointed to a three-year term on APA's Committee for Professional Practice Standards (COPPS) and was its first "telehealth lead." Never one to rest on her laurels, Dr. Maheu has since served on more than a dozen task forces and committees related to telehealth.
In addition, Dr. Maheu was the first psychologist to be the lead author of a telehealth academic and professional book as well as the first psychologist to be the lead author of a telehealth handbook specializing in mental health.
Currently, Dr. Maheu is the Executive Director of the TeleMental Health Institute, offering consultation to international hardware and software companies, as well as the first post-graduate CE professional Certificate Training Programs in telepsychology, now available 100% online. Dr. Maheu is also helping to start a new division at the APA devoted exclusively to advancing technology. She is currently serving as this innovative group's first President. For more information on Dr. Maheu, please visit her website.
Continuing Education Provider Approvals
- GoodTherapy.org is Approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. GoodTherapy.org maintains responsibility for this program and its content. APA approval applies to all events listed after May 2011.
- GoodTherapy.org has been approved by NBCC as an Approved Continuing Education Provider, ACEP No. 6380. Programs that do not qualify for NBCC credit are clearly identified. GoodTherapy.org is solely responsible for all aspects of the programs.
- This course has been approved by GoodTherapy.org, as a NAADAC Approved Education Provider, for educational credits. NAADAC Provider #135463. GoodTherapy.org is responsible for all aspects of their programming.
- GoodTherapy.org, provider #1352, is approved as a provider for social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) www.aswb.org through the Approved Continuing Education (ACE) Program. GoodTherapy.org maintains responsibility for the program. ASWB Approval Period: 03/30/2016 – 03/30/2019. Social workers should contact their regulatory board to determine course approval for continuing education credits. Social workers participating in this course will receive 2 clinical continuing education clock hours.
- GoodTherapy.org, LLC is recognized by the New York State Education Department's State Board for Social Work as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed social workers #SW-0395.
- GoodTherapy.org, LLC is recognized by the New York State Education Department's State Board for Mental Health Practitioners as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed marriage and family therapists #MFT-0022 and for licensed mental health counselors #MHC-0031.