Maternal Depression and Disrupted Attachment
Presented by Diana Lynn Barnes, PsyD, MFT on 08-27-2010 at 9 a.m. Pacific to 10:30 a.m. Pacific (1:30 p.m. Eastern)
One of the most profound of all human connections is that between a mother and her infant. The quality of this earliest attachment experience becomes the template for all other intimate attachments across the lifespan. The disruptions in attachment that occur when a new mother experiences depression threaten attachment security, jeopardizing the healthy psychological, cognitive, and social-emotional development of the young child.
This workshop addresses maternal depression within the context of attachment theory, exploring the influence of disrupted attachment on maternal attunement. Discussion also includes the impact of maternal depression on an infant’s neurobiological development and the multigenerational transmission of attachment.
This web conference is intermediate instructional level. If you have any questions about this web conference, or would like more information, please contact us here.
How the Web Conference Works
In short, participants will have two options for participating in this event. Option one, listening to the event by calling in to our teleconference center. Option two, listening to the event by calling in to the teleconference and viewing the event online. Prior to the event all participants will be sent an email with instructions on how to log in to the teleconference and videoconference center. This event will include lecture, interaction, and question and answer periods.
All are available to GoodTherapy.org members at no additional cost.
Continuing Education (CE) Information
1.5 CE credits will be provided by GoodTherapy.org for attending this web conference in its entirety.
GoodTherapy.org is also an Approved Education Provider by NAADAC, The Association for Addiction Professionals (provider #135463). Of the eight counselor skill groups ascribed to by NAADAC, this course is classified within counseling services.
GoodTherapy.org is an NBCC-Approved Continuing Education Provider (ACEPTM) and may offer NBCC-approved clock hours for events that meet NBCC requirements.
GoodTherapy.org, provider #1352, is approved as a provider for social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) www.aswb.org, through the Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program. ASWB Approval Period: March 30, 2016 through March 30, 2019. Social workers should contact their regulatory board to determine course approval. Social workers participating in this course will receive two clinical continuing education clock hours. GoodTherapy.org maintains responsibility for this program and its content and is solely responsible for all aspects of the program.
GoodTherapy.org, SW CPE is recognized by the New York State Education Department's State Board for Social Work as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed social workers #0395.
This web conference is available at no cost to GoodTherapy.org members.
This event has already taken place. An audio recording for this event may be available in the Member's Area.
Meet the Presenter
Diana Lynn Barnes, PsyD, MFT
Diana Lynn Barnes is an internationally recognized expert on the assessment and treatment of perinatal illness. A past president of Postpartum Support International, she sits on their President’s Advisory Council and is a member of the Los Angeles County Perinatal Mental Health Task Force. Dr. Barnes is co-author of The Journey to Parenthood: Myths, Reality and What Really Matters and author of a training manual for clinicians called Transition to Parenthood: A Course for Expectant Parents. Her paper "Postpartum Depression: Its Impact on Couples and Marital Satisfaction" is published in the Journal of Systemic Therapies and her paper on PTSD during Pregnancy, co-authored with international researcher Dr. Cheryl Beck, is published in the Annals. She is a fellow of the APA and the 2009 recipient of a Lifetime Achievement Award from Eli Lilly. You can learn more about Dr. Barnes and the Center for Postpartum Health here.
Continuing Education Provider Approvals
- GoodTherapy.org has been approved by NBCC as an Approved Continuing Education Provider, ACEP No. 6380. Programs that do not qualify for NBCC credit are clearly identified. GoodTherapy.org is solely responsible for all aspects of the programs.
- This course has been approved by GoodTherapy.org, as a NAADAC Approved Education Provider, for educational credits. NAADAC Provider #135463. GoodTherapy.org is responsible for all aspects of their programming.
- GoodTherapy.org, provider #1352, is approved as a provider for social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) www.aswb.org through the Approved Continuing Education (ACE) Program. GoodTherapy.org maintains responsibility for the program. ASWB Approval Period: 03/30/2016 – 03/30/2019. Social workers should contact their regulatory board to determine course approval for continuing education credits. Social workers participating in this course will receive 2 clinical continuing education clock hours.
- GoodTherapy.org, LLC is recognized by the New York State Education Department's State Board for Social Work as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed social workers #SW-0395.
- GoodTherapy.org, LLC is recognized by the New York State Education Department's State Board for Mental Health Practitioners as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed marriage and family therapists #MFT-0022 and for licensed mental health counselors #MHC-0031.