David Schaffer, MSW, LICSW, AADC
David Schaffer, MSW, LICSW, AADC
|Professions: Clinical Social Worker, Psychotherapist, Mental Health Counselor|
I'm a licensed professional.
Licensed Independant Clinical Social Worker - Dp00940211
Licensed Independent Social Worker - I9145
to ask this therapist for billing and insurance information.
My aim is always to help the people I work with move toward more fulfilling lives. In order to help, I first have to understand what the client experiencing, what is happening in their life, and what they want from counseling. This involves listening non-judgmentally and with genuine concern.
Of course people come to a therapist not just to be listen to but for help. Models of therapy help therapists demonstrate an understanding of what is happening in the clients life and make suggestions as to what might be able to help. Together, the therapist and the client develop a plan tailored to fit the client's goals, abilities and life situation.
I tend to use approaches from the behavioral tradition including Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, Mindfulness Based Cognitive Therapy, Dialectical Behavioral Therapy and Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT). I particularly like ACT's focus on moving toward a clearer sense of what values give meaning and fulfillment to life. These values often include client's hopes and dreams, their faith-life or sense of spirituality, and their moral philosophy or culturally held beliefs.
I often use the concepts of mindfulness and, when appropriate, teach mindfulness meditation in session. I have a my own fourteen year meditation practice and find this helps in incorporating mindfulness into therapy.
or Call David Schaffer, MSW, LICSW, AADC at 1-800-651-8085 ext. 11123
Specific Issue(s) I'm Skilled at Helping With
I particularly like working with people who experince anxiety of all forms. The first area of anxiety developed a special interest in is Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. It really strikes me how "crazy" people feel when they struggle with obsessive thoughts and the compulsions that go along with them. When you are able to help people change their reaction to thier obsessive thoughts, it is remarkable the improvement they can experience.
I enjoy the whole range of anxiety disorders from the worry of generalized anxiety to the body focus of panic to the avoidance reminders of traumatic experience from post traumatic stress. It feels like this is an area where I understand people experiences and where the ways I tend to work with people seem to make a difference, often very quickly.
What I Love about Being a Psychotherapist
I love to help people. I was and economics major as an undergraduate and worked in business for about five years. Each day the question: "What have I done to make the world a better place?" haunted me. Being a therapist gives me the opportunity to do that every day in a very direct way.
I get to see both the huge diversity of human experience and the remarkable commonality we all share. Most of all I get to see the difference that sharing a burden with another person, looking at things in a new way or making small changes in what you do can make in a person's life.
- Clinical Supervision
- Group Therapy
- Individual Therapy & Counseling
- Marriage, Couples, or Relationship Counseling
- Abortion / Post Abortion Issues
- Abuse / Abuse Survivor Issues
- Addictions and Compulsions
- Adjusting to Change / Life Transitions
- Aggression and Violence
- Attachment Issues
- Body Image
- Career Choice
- Chronic Pain
- Codependency / Dependency
- Communication Problems
- Compulsive Spending / Shopping
- Control Issues
- Creative Blocks
- Divorce / Divorce Adjustment
- Domestic Violence
- Drug and Alcohol Addiction
- Dual Diagnosis
- Eating and Food Issues
- Emotional Abuse
- Emotional Intelligence
- Emotional Overwhelm
- Family of Origin Issues
- Gambling Addiction
- Grief, Loss, and Bereavement
- Health / Illness / Medical Issues
- Helplessness / Victimhood
- Identity Issues
- Inattention, Impulsivity, and Hyperactivity (ADHD)
- Infidelity / Affair Recovery
- Internet Addiction
- LGBT (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender) Issues
- Life Purpose / Meaning / Inner-Guidance
- Men's Issues
- Midlife Crisis / Midlife Transition
- Mood Swings / Mood Disturbance
- Obsessions and Compulsions (OCD)
- Physical Abuse
- Post Partum Depression
- Posttraumatic Stress / Trauma
- Prejudice / Discrimination
- Relationships and Marriage
- Religious Issues
- Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD)
- Sensitivity to Criticism
- Sexual Assault / Abuse
- Sleep Disorders
- Social Anxiety / Phobia
- Trust Issues
- Values Clarification
- Women's Issues
- Workplace Issues
- Young Adult Issues
- Acceptance and Commitment Therapy
- Anger Management
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy /REBT
- Dialectical Behavioral Therapy
- Exposure Therapy
- Family Systems Therapy
- Interpersonal Neurobiology
- Mindfulness Based Cognitive Therapy
- Mindfulness Based Interventions
- Motivational Enhancement Therapy
- Positive Psychology
- Positive Psychotherapy
By using this site, you signify your
assent and agreement to the Terms of Service.