Ethics With Soul and Boundaries in Psychotherapy
Presented by Ofer Zur, PhD on 03-26-2010 at 9 a.m. Pacific
This presentation will review the clinical and ethical complexities of therapeutic boundaries, such as self-disclosure, physical touch, gifts, bartering, telehealth (e-therapy), joint engagement in activities outside the office (i.e., home visits, hospital visits, or adventure therapy), length and place of sessions, and various forms of dual or multiple relationships. Also to be discussed are modern-day digital and virtual therapeutic challenges, such as telehealth or e-therapy, the appropriate use of e-mail in therapy, therapists Googling their clients, clients Googling their therapists, and clients receiving and sending cell phone messages and texts during sessions.
Special attention will be given to dual relationships in small communities, such as church, LGBT, minority, and rural communities. The presentation will also cover issues of standard of care, risk management, and ethical decision-making. Therapists will be able to participate in discussions and pose question and ideas during the conference. The hope is that therapists will learn how to operate ethically and with clinical integrity rather than with fear and trepidation.
How the Web Conference Works
In short, participants will join the teleconference by calling into the teleconference center and entering an access code. The teleconference will include lecture, interaction, and question and answer periods.
All are available to GoodTherapy.org members at no additional cost.
Continuing Education (CE) Information
1.5 CE credits will be provided by GoodTherapy.org for attending this web conference in its entirety.
GoodTherapy.org is an NBCC-Approved Continuing Education Provider (ACEPTM) and may offer NBCC-approved clock hours for events that meet NBCC requirements. GoodTherapy.org solely is responsible for all aspects of the program.
GoodTherapy.org, SW CPE is recognized by the New York State Education Department's State Board for Social Work as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed social workers #0395.
This teleconference is available for free to GoodTherapy.org members.
This event has already taken place. An audio recording for this event may be available in the Member's Area.
Meet the Presenter
Ofer Zur, PhD
Ofer Zur, PhD, is a licensed psychologist and forensic consultant practicing in Sonoma, CA and a fellow of American Psychological Association (APA), Div. 42. He is the director of the Zur Institute, which offers over 100 online courses and is one of the most extensive online CE programs for psychologists, counselors, social workers, MFTs, and nurses. His teaching, consultations with therapists, and writings focus on private practice outside managed care, ethics, standard of care, boundaries, dual relationships, and Internet addiction. His books include Dual Relationships and Psychotherapy (Springer, 2002, co-edited with A. Lazarus), HIPPA Friendly (Norton, 2005), Private Practice Handbook (ZI, 2007), and Boundaries in Psychotherapy (APA Books, 2007). Dr. Zur is deeply concerned about the harm inflicted by dogmatic, inflexible, and ideologically rigid psychotherapeutic practices. His website provides dozens of free articles and guidelines for psychotherapists and the public.
Continuing Education Provider Approvals
- GoodTherapy.org has been approved by NBCC as an Approved Continuing Education Provider, ACEP No. 6380. Programs that do not qualify for NBCC credit are clearly identified. GoodTherapy.org is solely responsible for all aspects of the programs.
- This course has been approved by GoodTherapy.org, as a NAADAC Approved Education Provider, for educational credits. NAADAC Provider #135463. GoodTherapy.org is responsible for all aspects of their programming.
- GoodTherapy.org, provider #1352, is approved as a provider for social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) www.aswb.org through the Approved Continuing Education (ACE) Program. GoodTherapy.org maintains responsibility for the program. ASWB Approval Period: 03/30/2016 – 03/30/2019. Social workers should contact their regulatory board to determine course approval for continuing education credits. Social workers participating in this course will receive 2 clinical continuing education clock hours.
- GoodTherapy.org, LLC is recognized by the New York State Education Department's State Board for Social Work as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed social workers #SW-0395.
- GoodTherapy.org, LLC is recognized by the New York State Education Department's State Board for Mental Health Practitioners as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed marriage and family therapists #MFT-0022 and for licensed mental health counselors #MHC-0031.