Facts about Desyrel (Trazodone HCL)
What is Desyrel? Desyrel is known by the trade name trazodone and is used to treat depression. It is in a class of antidepressants known as serotonin modulators. Desyrel comes in the form of a tablet that you take by mouth. When a person starts taking this medication, their doctor will slowly adjust their dosage until their condition is under control. Desyrel does not begin working immediately; it may take several weeks before the effects of the drug are noticeable. As with any prescription medication, one should listen to and follow the instructions of their doctor and pharmacist very carefully.
Important Information Before Use:
- Tell your doctor about every prescription or nonprescription medication you are taking or have recently taken, including herbal supplements and over-the-counter remedies. Depending on your medication history, your doctor may need to adjust your dosage of Desyrel or watch you closely for potential side effects.
- Talk to your doctor about any medication allergies you might have.
- If you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant, tell your doctor. Also, tell your doctor if you are currently breastfeeding.
- Certain health conditions can complicate the use of Desyrel. Tell your doctor if you're currently undergoing electroshock therapy or if you have or ever have had cancer. In addition, tell your doctor about any personal history of HIV, AIDS, high blood pressure, irregular heartbeat, heart disease, or heart attack.
Important Information During Use:
- If your depression symptoms suddenly get worse or you have thoughts of harming yourself, talk to your doctor immediately. Your doctor will likely want to quickly transition you to another medication or refer you to an inpatient care facility.
- Before any surgery, even dental surgery, tell the attending physician that you are taking Desyrel.
- Be careful when driving or operating machinery until you know how the medication will affect you. If you feel overpowering drowsiness, then you should not drive.
- Only consume alcohol in small quantities. Alcohol makes the side effects of Desyrel more pronounced.
- Get out of bed slowly to avoid the lightheaded feeling that is a common side effect of Desyrel. Try resting your feet on the floor for a few minutes until you feel completely awake and ready to stand up.
Desyrel Side Effects
Sources and Links for Fact Checking: