Transference: a Treasure in Disguise
Presented by Judith Barr, MS, LPC, LMHC on 04-20-2012 at 9 a.m. Pacific to 10:30 a.m. Pacific (1:30 p.m. Eastern)
Too few counselors and therapists are really taught about transference--in depth and “up close and personal.” And many professionals have learned to think of transference as a terrible thing. Without knowing transference both conceptually and experientially, a counselor cannot possibly help an individual who is in transference and cannot possibly have ideas about how to utilize the transference, however awkward, as a gift for healing.
The deepest intention for this workshop is to help participants begin to see (or deepen their awareness of) transference as a treasure in disguise. Judith Barr will craft her talk for participants to leave this Web Conference with a feel for what it is like to be in transference and what it is like to work with people who are in transference.
This Web Conference is designed to help clinicians:
- Define transference;
- Identify the link between an early decision and transference;
- Give at least one example of transference from the workshop and hopefully one example from the participant’s own experience;
- Name four descriptions of what it is like to be in transference;
- Describe the connection between transference and trustworthiness,
- Name four different ways to utilize transference;
- Give an example of transference onto money;
- If there have been demonstrations, describe how two-chair work can help you help a person work through transference;
- Describe the connection between an individual’s transference and the impact of transference on our world;
- Identify how transference is a treasure in disguise.
If you have any questions about this web conference or would like more information, please contact us here
Continuing Education (CE) Information
1.5 CE credits will be provided by GoodTherapy.org for attending this web conference in its entirety.
GoodTherapy.org is also an Approved Education Provider by NAADAC, The Association for Addiction Professionals (provider #135463). Of the eight counselor skill groups ascribed to by NAADAC, this course is classified within counseling services.
GoodTherapy.org is an NBCC-Approved Continuing Education Provider (ACEPTM) and may offer NBCC-approved clock hours for events that meet NBCC requirements.
GoodTherapy.org, provider #1352, is approved as a provider for social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) www.aswb.org, through the Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program. ASWB Approval Period: March 30, 2016 through March 30, 2019. Social workers should contact their regulatory board to determine course approval. Social workers participating in this course will receive two clinical continuing education clock hours.
GoodTherapy.org is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. GoodTherapy.org maintains responsibility for this program and its content.
GoodTherapy.org, SW CPE is recognized by the New York State Education Department's State Board for Social Work as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed social workers #0395.
This Web Conference is available for free to GoodTherapy.org Members.
Meet the Presenter
Judith Barr, MS, LPC, LMHC
As a depth psychotherapist who always goes to the root, Judith Barr has been helping those she treats--and helping other therapists help the people they treat--to heal more deeply and fully than they could ever have imagined. Judith has been helping to guide people safely into the abyss within and back out again for over 30 years. Her innovative work helps therapists and clients alike make a connection between our healing of our relationships with money, politics, power, fear, grief, ourselves, others and more and the state of our lives, our nation, and our world.
Judith offers sessions for individuals, couples, and groups, workshops, consultations for the public, and training and supervision for healing professionals. Through her book, Power Abused, Power Healed, her newsletters, her Huffington Post blog, her PoliPsych blog, and her speaking engagements, media appearances, and teleconferences--Judith teaches about how we can heal power abuse and how we can help to create change and sustainable safety in our world from the inside out.
For more information or to contact Judith, please visit her website.
Continuing Education Provider Approvals
- GoodTherapy.org is Approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. GoodTherapy.org maintains responsibility for this program and its content. GoodTherapy.org received APA approval in May 2011. Events after 2011 may meet APA requirements for Continuing Education credits.
- GoodTherapy.org has been approved by NBCC as an Approved Continuing Education Provider, ACEP No. 6380. Programs that do not qualify for NBCC credit are clearly identified. GoodTherapy.org is solely responsible for all aspects of the programs.
- This course has been approved by GoodTherapy.org, as a NAADAC Approved Education Provider, for educational credits. NAADAC Provider #135463. GoodTherapy.org is responsible for all aspects of their programming.
- GoodTherapy.org, provider #1352, is approved as a provider for social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) www.aswb.org through the Approved Continuing Education (ACE) Program. GoodTherapy.org maintains responsibility for the program. ASWB Approval Period: 03/30/2016 – 03/30/2019. Social workers should contact their regulatory board to determine course approval for continuing education credits. Social workers participating in this course will receive 2 clinical continuing education clock hours.
- GoodTherapy.org, LLC is recognized by the New York State Education Department's State Board for Social Work as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed social workers #SW-0395.
- GoodTherapy.org, LLC is recognized by the New York State Education Department's State Board for Mental Health Practitioners as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed marriage and family therapists #MFT-0022 and for licensed mental health counselors #MHC-0031.