My Approach to Helping
Healing is holistic. We have to look at everything from the cues your body is giving you to the societal messages surrounding you in order to reach not just the bandaids but the deeper roots of distress and, ultimately, growth. I don’t see just the symptoms: I see the entire person in front of me, with your rich, unique history and complex experiences that make you, you. The most important commitment I have is to fostering self-acceptance and self-compassion; we learn too much conditional self-worth, pressure, and shame when the root of finding true peace with ourselves and our world is to believe we are enough now, just as we are.
What would believing this change for you? I know all too well how we can be pulled away from listening to (and valuing) our needs, and paying attention to that inner compass deep down that always knows the way. We just need the space and permission to listen to it and to its signals. Let’s carve out that space together.
I specialize in sex and relationship therapy, disordered eating, and spiritual/existential struggles including death anxiety. This is what I care most about: anti-shame, positive relationships to our body and health, pursuits of deeper values and meaning, unlearning harmful societal messages, and learning to love ourselves just for "being".
More Info About My Practice
1 . Holistic
You are not just your thoughts: you are a whole system of the physical, mental, emotional, social, spiritual, and societal spheres of your life. I bring the body into session: where are you holding tension and strain? What are these sensations trying to tell us? Thinking systemically, which messages have you absorbed that influence your thoughts and patterns? Are your spiritual needs being fulfilled, or can this distress point us to some needs your heartsoul are nudging you to attend to? What is happening in your environment, and what changes can be made to better support your growth and flourishing?
One size does not fit all when it comes to our personal inner worlds. There are many therapeutic approaches I draw from and integrate, depending on the needs of the client. My favourites are acceptance and commitment therapy, narrative therapy, humanistic therapy, emotion-focused therapy, and existential therapy.
I am not an expert on your life and your journey. I am a "fellow traveler" beside you, as we navigate that path together. The most important thing for me is that I listen to you: to your worldview, to your values, your goals, your beliefs, your interests, your coping skills, your needs, your passions... You have made it this far, and I know you have the resources inside to move you forward.
4. Well-being is the goal.
Wellbeing is not just the absence of distress, but the presence of fulfillment, joy, peace, and vitality. True, deep healing is about flourishing - not about putting bandaids on symptoms. Let's look deep down (and around!) at what might be contributing to the roots of distress; and then let's look deep inward again to find what you need to thrive. My goal is to help you feel safe and supported through this process.
Specific Issue(s) I'm Skilled at Helping With
Relationships & Interpersonal Conflict:
Whether in the context of romantic, peer, or familial relationships, I use an emotion-focused and attachment-based lens (EFT) to help you navigate interpersonal dynamic difficulties. This may be beneficial for those looking to navigate current relationships, as well as for those looking to explore their own personal attachment and relationship patterns outside the context of current bonds.
My practice is actively anti-shame, with a commitment to being sex positive. Using my holistic approach, we examine the broader context surrounding the client's presenting concern, including the client's emotional, social, physical, psychological, and societal experience. My sex therapy work includes (but is not limited to) talk therapy surrounding following concerns:
- General discussions and explorations of client sexual experience
- Difficulties and emotionalmental barriers within both personal and partnered sexual experiences
- Education around building a healthy and satisfying sex life, as pertaining to the client's lived experience and goals
- Sexual trauma, anxieties, and other physicalpsychological blockages to a fulfilling sex life and general somatic experience
- Sexual difficulties causing client distress, including painful sex, desire disparities, orgasm and arousal difficulties, sex in the context of relationship dynamics, and more
- Support for those navigating their sexuality, with a commitment to kink positivity and LGBTQ+ affirmation
Disordered Eating & Body Image Issues
I promote body positivity and self-acceptance, with a strong commitment to forming healthy relationships with food and movement. I work in line with the client's own goals to provide support for:
- Body image difficulties
- Food, eating, and health anxieties
- Disordered eating, guiltshame regarding food and bodies, and exploration of the emotional context around foodmovement
- Binge eating behaviours, restrictive food intake behaviours, orthorexic behaviours, and more
- Establishment of positive relationships toward food and movement, including mindful and intuitive eating
- Deeper roots of self-esteem struggles, including the client's personal experience as well as examining societal messages around bodies and food
- Progress towards balanced living and other health goals, which may include no food rules & detaching morality from foodmovement
- Connection to life joy and meaning outside of diet, body, and weight
Spiritual & Existential Struggles:
To me, spirituality encompasses anything we feel gives our lives meaning, sense, and purpose. All client religiousspiritual traditions (or lack thereof) are included in this definition, as well as all personal values and belief systems. With my training in Counselling and Spirituality, my number one rule is always to work within the framework of your own beliefs and worldview in order to locate what is meaningful and purposeful in your own life. I work with those both within and outside of religiousspiritual traditions in order to navigate:
- Existential anxieties, including death anxiety
- Questions relating to spiritual and existential themes
- Values and belief exploration
- Questions of meaning and purpose
- Navigation of own beliefs both within and outside of spiritualreligious traditions
- Spiritualreligious trauma, and more.
Grief & Death:
Loss comes in many forms, and grief accompanies any type of loss. Grief may occur at the end of a significant relationship, for example, or can accompany any other type of significant transition or change. Of course, grief is also prominent when we lose, or anticipate to lose, someone we love. I provide support for those experiencing grief of all forms. In our session, we will build a safe container of a space where it is "okay to not be okay". In the middle of a largely death-avoidant culture, it is important to have spaces to speak honestly and openly about death and dying - whether this is about the deathillness of a loved one, or your own end of life experience.
I provide client-driven, holistic, and integrative support for a range of emotional difficulties, including:
- Shame & Guilt
- Social Anxiety
- Generalized Anxiety
- General Stress
- Life Transitions
- And any other general emotional difficulties or situations for which a client would like extra support.