Food and Addiction Spectrum Disorders
Presented by Kim Dennis, MD on 05-17-2013 at 9 a.m. Pacific to 10:30 a.m. Pacific (1:30 p.m. Eastern)
Up to 50% of individuals with eating disorders also present with substance use disorders, and up to 35% of individuals with substance use disorders also present with eating disorders, bulimia nervosa being most commonly linked to substance abuse. The findings of the National Center on Substance Abuse indicate both have shared risk factors and characteristics. The DSM IV-TR diagnostic characteristics of substance dependence as well as the criteria for binge eating disorder (now included in the DSM-V) will be discussed with respect to behaviors surrounding food and eating.
Research has indicated that the brain reward system processes positive responses to both food and addictive substances. Due to the many similarities between eating and addictive disorders, the recovery and 12-step models used in substance abuse treatment can be used effectively with eating disorders.
This web conference is intermediate instructional level and designed to help clinicians:
- Review and discuss the current animal and human research on food addiction;
- Outline the characteristics of binge eating disorder (BED) according to the DSM-5;
- Discuss the treatment ramifications of recognizing eating disorders as within the addiction spectrum;
- Discuss the similarities and differences between eating disorders and substance dependence.
If you have any questions about this web conference or would like more information, please contact us here.
Event Reviews from Members
"Very well organized and knowledgeable." - David Corse, MA, NCC, LPCi, CADCI, CGACII, NCGC-II
Continuing Education (CE) Information
1.5 CE credits will be provided by GoodTherapy.org for attending this web conference in its entirety.
GoodTherapy.org is also an Approved Education Provider by NAADAC, The Association for Addiction Professionals (provider #135463). Of the eight counselor skill groups ascribed to by NAADAC, this course is classified within counseling services.
GoodTherapy.org is an NBCC-Approved Continuing Education Provider (ACEPTM) and may offer NBCC-approved clock hours for events that meet NBCC requirements.
GoodTherapy.org, provider #1352, is approved as a provider for social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) www.aswb.org, through the Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program. ASWB Approval Period: March 30, 2016 through March 30, 2019. Social workers should contact their regulatory board to determine course approval. Social workers participating in this course will receive two clinical continuing education clock hours.
GoodTherapy.org is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. GoodTherapy.org maintains responsibility for this program and its content.
GoodTherapy.org, SW CPE is recognized by the New York State Education Department's State Board for Social Work as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed social workers #0395.
Premium Membership with GoodTherapy includes access to this web conference at no cost. Not yet a Premium Member? Mental health professionals can attend this live web conference for $29.95 or access the homestudy recording for $14.95.
Meet the Presenter
Kim Dennis, MD
Dr. Kim Dennis specializes in treating eating disorders, trauma, PTSD, co-occurring disorders, and addictions recovery. She is a board-certified psychiatrist and maintains a holistic perspective in the practice of psychiatry. She is also on the editorial board of Eating Disorders: The Journal of Treatment and Prevention. Dr. Dennis has been on CNN and ABC News. She contributes to the Chicago Tribune, Huffington Post, WebMD, Boston Globe Addiction Professional, and Behavioral Healthcare. She writes a monthly column for Daily Strength and is a member of the Academy for Eating Disorders, American Medical Association, American Academy of Addiction Psychiatry, International Association of Eating Disorder Professionals, American Society for Addiction Medicine, and the International Association of Eating Disorder Professionals. She is the Medical Director and CEO for Timberline Knolls Residential Treatment Center. For more information about Dr. Dennis and her work, please visit www.timberlineknolls.com.
Continuing Education Provider Approvals
- GoodTherapy.org is Approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. GoodTherapy.org maintains responsibility for this program and its content. GoodTherapy.org received APA approval in May 2011. Events after 2011 may meet APA requirements for Continuing Education credits.
- GoodTherapy.org has been approved by NBCC as an Approved Continuing Education Provider, ACEP No. 6380. Programs that do not qualify for NBCC credit are clearly identified. GoodTherapy.org is solely responsible for all aspects of the programs.
- This course has been approved by GoodTherapy.org, as a NAADAC Approved Education Provider, for educational credits. NAADAC Provider #135463. GoodTherapy.org is responsible for all aspects of their programming.
- GoodTherapy.org, provider #1352, is approved as a provider for social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) www.aswb.org through the Approved Continuing Education (ACE) Program. GoodTherapy.org maintains responsibility for the program. ASWB Approval Period: 03/30/2016 – 03/30/2019. Social workers should contact their regulatory board to determine course approval for continuing education credits. Social workers participating in this course will receive 2 clinical continuing education clock hours.
- GoodTherapy.org, LLC is recognized by the New York State Education Department's State Board for Social Work as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed social workers #SW-0395.
- GoodTherapy.org, LLC is recognized by the New York State Education Department's State Board for Mental Health Practitioners as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed marriage and family therapists #MFT-0022 and for licensed mental health counselors #MHC-0031.