Lynn Somerstein, PhD, E-RYT
Lynn Somerstein, PhD, E-RYT
|Professions: Counselor, Psychotherapist, Other|
|License Status: I'm a licensed professional.|
|Primary Credential: Psychoanalysis - LP00149|
Billing and Insurance
I don't currently accept insurance, but I can provide documentation if clients wish to submit to an insurance company for "out of network" benefit coverage
Fees: I charge from $65.00 to $200.00 per session.
See other therapists in New York City, NY.
My motto is, "Use your head and follow your heart."
Would you like to relax, become less anxious and depressed? I teach stress management techniques and help people recover from traumatic experiences. Sometimes we'll laugh together.
People I work with describe me as warm, concerned, available, and interactive.
I am a licensed psychoanalyst as well as a yoga teacher registered with the Yoga Alliance and the International Yoga Therapy Association; I am experienced in helping people of all ages and backgrounds.
Sliding scale referrals and some insurance plans accepted.
Email or Call Lynn Somerstein, PhD, E-RYT at 1-800-651-8085 ext. 01091
More Info About My Practice
If you've ever been curious about some of the things therapists experience doing treatment and how they got to be therapists in the first place, here's your chance to find out- read my book, "Defining Moments for Therapists."
This book is written for people in therapy, therapists, and therapists in training.
Specific Issue(s) I'm Skilled at Helping With
I am especially interested in psychotherapy and psychoanalysis with people experiencing issues of attachment, depression and anxiety.
My Blog Posts
- Suicide and Saying Goodbye: Leaving Survivors with Love
- I Want to Be a Therapist. What Personal Work Comes First?
- Help! I'm Afraid of Everything!
- What It Feels Like to Be Stalked (Let Alone Three Times)
- Starting Over: A Story of Resilience and Therapeutic Growth
- Help! I'm a Natural Flirt, but It's Hurting My Partner
- How Do I Overcome the Shame of Sex?
- Stopping Abuse Starts with Supporting Everyone Involved
- Am I Crazy for Talking to Myself All the Time?
- How a ‘Compassion Walk’ Can Put You in a Better Space
- You Can’t Change Others, but You Can Change Your Seat
- Pathological Lying: The Too-Good-to-Be-True Fairy Tale
- Am I Horrible for Not Crying at My Father's Funeral?
- How Am I Supposed to Stop Being Crazy?
- Help! My Husband Wants to Go Back to School, Not Work
- Help! My Coworkers Are Thieves and I Can’t Report Them!
- Courting Nonviolence: How Yoga Helps Keep the Peace
- Why Am I So Paranoid and Skeptical About Everything?
- Is It Normal to Have Intrusive, Disturbing Thoughts?
- How Yoga Therapy Breathed Life into a Harrowing Birth Story
- When Is It OK to End a One-Sided Friendship?
- Help! I Can't Seem to Forgive Myself for How I Treated My Ex
- Hats Off to a Woman Who Really Knows How to Wear One
- So You Found Out Your Partner Cheated on You. Now What?
- 4 Iconic Yoga Positions and Their Therapeutic Benefits
- Bah Humbug! Am I a Bad Person for Hating the Holidays?
- Pregnancy, Truth, and Consequences: When Good News Gets Out
- Help! My Girlfriend Keeps Making Her Pets My Problem
- Under Construction: Finding Therapy in Home Improvement
- Help! My Only Friends Are Homophobic and Don't Know I'm Gay
- How Do I Deal with Younger, Competitive People at Work?
- From the Sleep Queen: Simple Tips and Yoga to Help You Sleep
- How Can I Stay Strong Knowing My Wife Has Terminal Cancer?
- My Girlfriend Hid Her Depression; Now I Don't Feel Safe!
- 'Four Agreements,' Three Women, and One Valuable Lesson
- One Flu Over the Cuckoo's Nest: When Illness Levels You
- Help! I'm Lost in My Mind, with No Sense of Life Purpose
- Anger and Relationships: When Spite Spoils the Night
- Help! If I Have an Abortion, Do I Have to Tell My Boyfriend?
- I've Stolen, I've Lied, and I Want My Wife Back. Help!
- Now and Zen: Reflections on Time, Acceptance, and Connection
- Help! I'm Afraid to Talk to My Therapist about Self-Injury
- The Debated Dress Is History, but Its Lesson Lives On
- Leaving Yourself Out in the Cold? Thaw with a Therapist
- Another Abandonment? My Therapist Won't See Me Anymore!
- Three Jobs, Two Kids, One Disabled Mom, and No Hope. Help!
- The ‘I’ of the Beholder: What You See Is What You Get
- Amputated Relationships and Attachment: How to Let Go
- Retirement Looms and I'm Starting to Worry! Any Advice?
- The Secret to Ending Procrastination? Keep Your Pajamas On
- Help! I Can't Stop Thinking about My Therapist
- When You Feel Like the Only Living Person in the Room
- It Took a Mere 35 Minutes to Diagnose Me with Bipolar!
- 5 Facts about Stress (and 17 Ways to Deal with It)
- Will I Ever Find Love?
- How to Use Yoga and Meditation to Relieve Stress and Anxiety
- I'm a Gay College Basketball Player. Should I Come Out?
- 30 Ways to Play Well with Others
- How Serious Is Paranoia? Am I Crazy? Do I Need Meds?
- 18 Qualities of a Marriage Built to Last
- 40 Years after Our Fling, Why Can't I Forget about Her?
- 15 Secrets for a Good Night’s Sleep
- Am I Having a Midlife Crisis? Or Is It Something Else?
- Eye for an Eye, Tooth for a Tooth: Who Deserves Revenge?
- Is It Normal for Group Therapy to Mix Teens with Adults?
- Zen and the Art of Stress Relief
- 50 Years Later, Should I Finally Talk about My Pastor's Sex Abuse?
- Remembering Martin S. Bergmann: Psychoanalyst, Actor, Friend
- How Can I Get My Daughter Meds for ADHD?
- When It's Cold and Dark and You Hate Everything
- Ever Since My Accident, I Can Barely Go Near a Car. Help!
- Where's the Happiness Aisle?
- My Depressed Girlfriend Makes Home Feel Like the Battlefield
- My Friend Is Ruining Her Life, but She Won't Listen to Me
- Caught in a Whirlpool: The Role You Play in Your Own Rescue
- Help! I'm a 23-Year-Old Camp Counselor with a 14-Year-Old Problem
- The Yoga Prison Project: Lessons on Both Sides of the Bars
- Why Do I Always Seem to Assume the Worst?
- When Walking Away Is Standing Your Ground
- My Insecure Girlfriend Is Possessive and Controlling. Should I Leave?
- When Opposites Who Once Attracted Fall Apart
- When Is It OK for Therapists to Encourage Kids to Keep Secrets from Parents?
- I'm Impatient and Easily Irritated. Am I Depressed?
- Child Struck By Car! What Happens Next?
- When Divorce Is Right
- Sexual Abuse and Trauma Haunt Me. How Can I Move Forward?
- After 18 Years Together, My Husband Wants Nothing to Do with Me
- Getting Unstuck Isn't Easy, but It Beats the Alternative
- Ready to Move On from Therapy ... but How?
- Narcissism: Inside the Lonely, Envious World of the 'Perfect Ones'
- Everything Seemed Great ... Until My Husband Blindsided Me by Text
- I Don’t Forget to Wear My Red Dress; He Always Brings Me Flowers
- My Boyfriend's Ex Is Difficult, and He Won't Let Me Vent
- Meet the GoodTherapy.org Topic Experts: Lynn Somerstein
- Goofing Up or Goofing Off?
- My Partner Was Abused and Now Has Boundary Issues. What Do I Do?
- Not a Fan of the DSM-V ... or Its Predecessors
- Left Out Like Rudolph: Factioned Families and the Holidays
- I Have Three Young Children and I Can't Cope. Help!
- Weathering Fear and Anxiety in the Aftermath of Hurricane Sandy
- How Do I Get Over the Pain Caused in School?
- Bystanders to Violence: The Child Witness
- Bystanders: If a Tree Falls ...
- Axes and Lambs: If You See Something, Say Something
- Marriage Bound by Cheating and Anger: A Story
- I Can't Get Over My Husband's Affairs
- Cognitive Dissonance and the Misery of Spring
- Heaven or Hell: The Problem with Devotion
- My Partner Is Grieving and Depressed. Is There Hope for Our Relationship?
- Strategies to Get to Sleep When Life Is Keeping You Awake
- Starting Therapy—and Ending It, Too
- A Picture of Lasting Love
- Starting Over in January
- Hope and Fear in China
- Going to China!
- Remembering September 11
- Part II: Should You Attend a Friend's Wedding Even If Your Heart Says "No"?
- Should You Attend a Friend's Wedding Even If Your Heart Says "No"?
- Learning to Stop Judging Yourself by Others' Standards
- Motherhood: Shaking Off the Habits of Past Generations
- Nine Tips for Loving Self and Others
- All Hell Broke Loose: The Tucson Assassinations
- Growing Up and Relationships: What's Wrong With Me?
- Why See a Therapist When You Can Just Talk to Your Friends?
- Six Ways to Power Up Your Creativity
- Object Relations and Global Dreams
- Susie's Therapeutic Journey: A Story
- Scared Stiff: Breathwork Brings One Person Back into the World
- Happy Holidays! Are You Happy Enough?
Please note: The video above was submitted by Lynn Somerstein, PhD, E-RYT, and any views or opinions expressed are not necessarily shared by GoodTherapy.org. We do our best to ensure videos align with our mission and vision; however, if you find there is inappropriate content, please email us or call 888-563-2112 ext. 2.
Services I Provide
- Individual Therapy & Counseling
- Marriage, Couples, or Relationship Counseling
- Group Therapy
- Clinical Supervision
- Online Counseling / Phone Therapy
Ages I Work With
Groups I Work With
I work with people from all backgrounds and of all ages, but I specialize in issues of attachment, anxiety and depression.
By using this site, you signify your assent and agreement to the Terms of Service.