The Art of Sex Therapy
Presented by Ian Kerner, PhD, LMFT on 07-29-2016 at 9 a.m. Pacific (noon Eastern) to 11 a.m. Pacific (2 p.m. Eastern)
Sex is a topic that is invariably on peoples' minds, but to what extent does it enter the clinical conversation? It is not uncommon for both people in therapy and therapists to collude in avoiding sex-related issues due to mutual discomfort, or for therapists to feel unskilled when addressing sexuality. Many therapists will simply avoid the conversation altogether or refer out to a sex therapist.
The field of sex therapy has a rich and accessible history of clinical theory and a body of principles and practices that lend themselves well to integration with individual psychotherapy and/or couples therapy. This educational web conference will provide a concise overview of the field of sex therapy, including current models of human sexual response, as well as tools for assessment, case formulation, and treatment planning through a biopsychosocial lens. Dr. Ian Kerner will discuss the latest science-based research informing the treatment of common DSM-5 sexual issues such as female sexual interest and arousal disorder (FSIAD), male hypoactive sexual desire disorder (HSDD), erectile disorder (ED), premature ejaculation (PE), female orgasmic disorder (FOD), and problematic sexual behaviors such as excessive use of internet pornography.
This introductory, instructional level web conference is designed to help clinicians:
- Discuss the fundamental principles and practices of sex therapy and how to integrate them into their current practice.
- Recognize a research-based, up-to-date model of male and female sexual response.
- Utilize a specific framework for assessing sexual issues in the initial session with an individual or couple.
- Formulate a clinical or therapeutic intervention in the form of a first homework assignment.
- Recognize common types of clinical issues that are likely to be encountered in sex therapy along with baseline interventions.
If you have any questions or concerns about this continuing education web conference, or would like more information, please contact us here.
Event Reviews from Members
Dr. Kerner believes, encourages, and supports therapists in feeling comfortable to manage sex therapy issues in a counseling session, and not have to refer out. - Debra Brittain, LCSW
It was so relevant to my practice, I could just hug him. It also bridged the gap in how to effectively address the issue of sex, and the various intervention and theories were so useful, most of which i have never heard of. THANK YOU!!!! - Claudia Higgins, MSW, RCSWI
I feel more competent to deal with sexual issues in the room and will follow up with more training in sex therapy. - Catherine Palmer, MS, LPC
Continuing Education (CE) Information
Two CE credits will be provided by GoodTherapy.org for attending this web conference in its entirety.
GoodTherapy.org is an Approved Education Provider by NAADAC, The Association for Addiction Professionals (provider #135463). Of the eight counselor skill groups ascribed to by NAADAC, this course is classified within counseling services.
GoodTherapy.org is an NBCC-Approved Continuing Education Provider (ACEPTM) and may offer NBCC-approved clock hours for events that meet NBCC requirements.
This organization, GoodTherapy.org, provider #1352, is approved as a provider for social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) www.aswb.org through the Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program. GoodTherapy.org maintains responsibility for the program. ASWB Approval Period: March 30, 2016 through March 30, 2019. Social workers should contact their regulatory board to determine course approval for continuing education credits. Social workers participating in this course will receive two clinical continuing education clock hours.
GoodTherapy.org is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. GoodTherapy.org maintains responsibility for this program and its content.
GoodTherapy.org, SW CPE is recognized by the New York State Education Department's State Board for Social Work as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed social workers #0395.
Premium Membership with GoodTherapy includes access to this web conference at no cost. Not yet a Premium Member? Mental health professionals can attend this live web conference for $29.95 or access the homestudy recording for $14.95.
Meet the Presenter
Ian Kerner, PhD, LMFT
Ian Kerner, PhD, LMFT specializes in couples counseling and sex therapy, working with both couples and individuals to help them address any number of relational concerns. He also works with individuals who have experienced sexual trauma and those who wish to address issues associated with gender and identity.
In addition to writing a weekly column for CNN Health, Dr. Kerner maintains a private practice and is a staff therapist at The Institute for Contemporary Psychotherapy, a non-profit training and treatment center. He also serves as co-programmer of a New Sex Therapy Series at the same institution. Dr. Kerner studied human sexuality at the Robert Wood Johnson Medical School and earned his doctorate through the American Academy of Clinical Sexologists.
An author and editor, Dr. Kerner has appeared on Today, CNN, and NPR as an expert on the topics of sex and sexuality. He is regularly quoted by the media, gives frequent lectures on topics such as human sexuality and relationship issues, and his recent appearances include the Sex and Attachment conference in New York City and the 2016 Psychotherapy Networker Symposium. His books include:
- She Comes First: The Thinking Man's Guide to Pleasuring a Woman
- Be Honest, You’re Not That Into Him Either: Raise Your Standards and Reach for the Love You Deserve
- Passionista: The Empowered Woman's Guide to Pleasuring a Man
- Sex Recharge: A Rejuvenation Plan for Couples and Singles
Dr. Kerner is a New York City native where he currently resides with his wife, two sons, and their two family dogs. For more information about Dr. Kerner and his work, please visit www.iankerner.com.
* This page contains at least one affiliate link for the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, which means GoodTherapy.org receives financial compensation if you make a purchase using an Amazon link.
Continuing Education Provider Approvals
- GoodTherapy.org is Approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. GoodTherapy.org maintains responsibility for this program and its content. GoodTherapy.org received APA approval in May 2011. Events after 2011 may meet APA requirements for Continuing Education credits.
- GoodTherapy.org has been approved by NBCC as an Approved Continuing Education Provider, ACEP No. 6380. Programs that do not qualify for NBCC credit are clearly identified. GoodTherapy.org is solely responsible for all aspects of the programs.
- This course has been approved by GoodTherapy.org, as a NAADAC Approved Education Provider, for educational credits. NAADAC Provider #135463. GoodTherapy.org is responsible for all aspects of their programming.
- GoodTherapy.org, provider #1352, is approved as a provider for social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) www.aswb.org through the Approved Continuing Education (ACE) Program. GoodTherapy.org maintains responsibility for the program. ASWB Approval Period: 03/30/2016 – 03/30/2019. Social workers should contact their regulatory board to determine course approval for continuing education credits. Social workers participating in this course will receive 2 clinical continuing education clock hours.
- GoodTherapy.org, LLC is recognized by the New York State Education Department's State Board for Social Work as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed social workers #SW-0395.
- GoodTherapy.org, LLC is recognized by the New York State Education Department's State Board for Mental Health Practitioners as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed marriage and family therapists #MFT-0022 and for licensed mental health counselors #MHC-0031.