Couples in Recovery after Infidelity: Creating a New Monogamy
Presented by Tammy Nelson, PhD on 09-06-2013 at 9 a.m. Pacific to 10:30 a.m. Pacific (1:30 p.m. Eastern)
What is the most effective form of therapy for treating affairs? What doesn’t work? Why are some forms of affair treatment outdated and even contraindicated? How can couples therapy help couples if done effectively? Can couples really survive the trauma of infidelity? Using a theoretical model that works, this seminar will introduce a step by step intervention to help couples recover from infidelity, with a purposeful process that gives couples hope for a future that is more than just survival after betrayal, but can create a whole new partnership, in many cases stronger and more intimate than ever before.
Using case examples to illustrate how breaches of monogamy affect sexuality and intimacy participants will learn how to help couples restore (or create) erotic energy after an affair, increase empathy and understanding instead of focusing on forgiveness as the goal, and ways to create a new vision of a new, stronger monogamy going forward.
This web conference is intermediate instructional level and designed to help clinicians:
- Define infidelity and how it affects a marriage or committed partnership;
- Identify what does not work in infidelity treatment and how psychotherapy can retraumatize clients;
- Discover ways to help couples negotiate monogamy after infidelity and how to create a new monogamy agreement;
- Identify how sexual empathy heals and will discover whether or not forgiveness is necessary for recovery.
If you have any questions about this web conference or would like more information, please contact us here.
Event Reviews from Members
Great job! I am so impressed with her and her work and am excited to learn more about her contributions to our field. Thank-you. - Cindy Solliday McRoy, PhD
All are available to GoodTherapy.org members at no additional cost.
Continuing Education (CE) Information
1.5 CE credits will be provided by GoodTherapy.org for attending this web conference in its entirety.
GoodTherapy.org is also an Approved Education Provider by NAADAC, The Association for Addiction Professionals (provider #135463). Of the eight counselor skill groups ascribed to by NAADAC, this course is classified within counseling services.
GoodTherapy.org is an NBCC-Approved Continuing Education Provider (ACEPTM) and may offer NBCC-approved clock hours for events that meet NBCC requirements.
GoodTherapy.org, provider #1352, is approved as a provider for social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) www.aswb.org, through the Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program. ASWB Approval Period: March 30, 2016 through March 30, 2019. Social workers should contact their regulatory board to determine course approval. Social workers participating in this course will receive two clinical continuing education clock hours.
GoodTherapy.org is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. GoodTherapy.org maintains responsibility for this program and its content.
GoodTherapy.org, SW CPE is recognized by the New York State Education Department's State Board for Social Work as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed social workers #0395.
This web conference is available at no cost to GoodTherapy.org members.
This event has already taken place. An audio recording for this event may be available in the Member's Area.
Meet the Presenter
Tammy Nelson, PhD
Tammy Nelson is a relationship expert and a Board Certified Sexologist with a Doctorate in Philosophy in Clinical Sexology. She is an international speaker and a licensed psychotherapist with over 25 years of experience working with individuals and couples. Dr. Nelson is a Diplomate of the American Board of Sexologists, a Certified Imago Relationship Therapist, an Advanced Imago Clinician, a Registered Art Therapist, a Licensed Professional Counselor, and a Licensed Alcohol and Drug Counselor. She is on the International Advisory Board of Sex Coach University and is part of their faculty. She is also a faculty presenter for the Psychotherapy Networker and a member of the American Family Therapy Academy.
Dr. Nelson is the author of several books, including The New Monogamy; Redefining Your Relationship After Infidelity, Getting the Sex You Want; Shed Your Inhibitions and Reach New Heights of Passion Together, and What’s Eating You? A Workbook for Anorexia and Bulimia. She has been a featured expert in Cosmopolitan, Redbook, New York Times, Washington Post, Self, and many others. She writes for the Psychotherapy Networker and Huffington Post, YourTango, ThirdAge, GoodCleanLove, and can be followed on her blog. Tammy is an international trainer for therapists and offers intensives and workshops for couples. She is a premier marketer and creates publicity campaigns that reach audiences in the hundreds of thousands, both for clinical and consumer audiences. For additional information about Dr. Nelson and her work, please visit www.drtammynelson.com.
Continuing Education Provider Approvals
- GoodTherapy.org is Approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. GoodTherapy.org maintains responsibility for this program and its content. GoodTherapy.org received APA approval in May 2011. Events after 2011 may meet APA requirements for Continuing Education credits.
- GoodTherapy.org has been approved by NBCC as an Approved Continuing Education Provider, ACEP No. 6380. Programs that do not qualify for NBCC credit are clearly identified. GoodTherapy.org is solely responsible for all aspects of the programs.
- This course has been approved by GoodTherapy.org, as a NAADAC Approved Education Provider, for educational credits. NAADAC Provider #135463. GoodTherapy.org is responsible for all aspects of their programming.
- GoodTherapy.org, provider #1352, is approved as a provider for social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) www.aswb.org through the Approved Continuing Education (ACE) Program. GoodTherapy.org maintains responsibility for the program. ASWB Approval Period: 03/30/2016 – 03/30/2019. Social workers should contact their regulatory board to determine course approval for continuing education credits. Social workers participating in this course will receive 2 clinical continuing education clock hours.
- GoodTherapy.org, LLC is recognized by the New York State Education Department's State Board for Social Work as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed social workers #SW-0395.
- GoodTherapy.org, LLC is recognized by the New York State Education Department's State Board for Mental Health Practitioners as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed marriage and family therapists #MFT-0022 and for licensed mental health counselors #MHC-0031.