Treating Narcissism: New Perspectives
Presented by Craig Malkin, PhD on 07-15-2016 at 9 a.m. Pacific (noon Eastern)
Pathological narcissism can be one of the hardest conditions for therapists to work with, but a spate of recent research has transformed clinicians' understanding of the condition and how to treat it. For example, research indicates there are many different presentations for narcissistic personality disorder (NPD) and unhealthy narcissism. The variety in presentations of the condition can be overwhelming for clinicians to track, and unreliability in clinical diagnoses are among the many reasons NPD was nearly eliminated from the most recent edition of the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual (DSM-5).
Healthy and unhealthy narcissism both become easier to understand when viewed on a continuum. Pathological narcissism is a normal, pervasive human tendency—the drive to feel special—grown wildly out of control. During this two-hour continuing education web conference, Dr. Craig Malkin will present evidence from his research on the Narcissism Spectrum Scale (NSS) for the validity of this perspective and the many clinical implications, including the importance of attachment and experiential frameworks in the treatment process.
This introductory instructional level course is designed to help clinicians:
- Define narcissism and describe the narcissism spectrum and how healthy narcissism becomes pathological.
- Critique the claims of “a narcissism epidemic” using the latest research on the condition.
- Recognize the traits of people who struggle with narcissism deficits, or “echoism."
- Identify the defenses common to most people with narcissism and empower those individuals to cope in healthy ways.
- List three evidence-based strategies to help people recognize and safely cope with unhealthy narcissism in others.
If you have any questions or concerns about this continuing education web conference, or would like more information, please contact us here.
How the Web Conference Works
Attendees who register for this event will log in to the web conference center by using a computer and calling in to the teleconference line. Attendees will be able to ask live audio questions via phone and/or submit text chat questions via computer. Live streaming video and/or document sharing will also be available to participants. Alternatively, attendees may dial in to the teleconference line only, though attendees dialing in by phone only will be unable to ask questions. Attendees may also access the web conference on a smartphone or tablet.
Before the scheduled event, all registered attendees will be sent a reminder email with specific instructions on how to log in to the web conference center, as well as links to optional handout materials if applicable.
At the conclusion of this event, you will receive an email with information about how to request a CE certificate. You will need to enter the start and end codes that will be announced at the beginning and end of the presentation. These codes confirm that you attended the entire event. You will be prompted to complete a survey. You will need to complete this online survey within six days of the event. Once you complete the survey, you can download a copy of your CE certificate instantly.
All are available to GoodTherapy.org members at no additional cost.
Continuing Education (CE) Information
Two CE credits will be provided by GoodTherapy.org for attending this web conference in its entirety.
GoodTherapy.org is an Approved Education Provider by NAADAC, The Association for Addiction Professionals (provider #135463). Of the eight counselor skill groups ascribed to by NAADAC, this course is classified within counseling services.
GoodTherapy.org is an NBCC-Approved Continuing Education Provider (ACEPTM) and may offer NBCC-approved clock hours for events that meet NBCC requirements.
This organization, GoodTherapy.org, provider #1352, is approved as a provider for social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) www.aswb.org through the Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program. GoodTherapy.org maintains responsibility for the program. ASWB Approval Period: March 30, 2016 through March 30, 2019. Social workers should contact their regulatory board to determine course approval for continuing education credits. Social workers participating in this course will receive two clinical continuing education clock hours.
GoodTherapy.org is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. GoodTherapy.org maintains responsibility for this program and its content and is solely responsible for all aspects of the program.
GoodTherapy.org, SW CPE is recognized by the New York State Education Department's State Board for Social Work as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed social workers #0395.
This web conference is available at no cost to GoodTherapy.org members.
This event has already taken place. An audio recording for this event may be available in the Member's Area.
Event Reviews from Members
Just great: knowledgeable, not pompous, funny, and open to questions and comments. - Nicole S. Urdang, MS, NCC, DHM
It was well done and worth my time. - Sirkka Vandergraaf, MA C Psych
Meet the Presenter
Craig Malkin, PhD
Dr. Craig Malkin is a clinical psychologist, lecturer for Harvard Medical School, and author of the acclaimed Rethinking Narcissism, which was named Amazon's Book of the Month and Daily Mail's Book of the Week. His experience helping individuals, couples, and families spans two decades, and his articles, advice, and relationship insights have appeared in newspapers and magazines such as Time, The New York Times, The Sunday Times, Women’s Health, Huffington Post, and Happen Magazine, as well as a number of other popular print and online media outlets. Dr. Malkin has also been featured on NPR, CBS Radio, the Oprah Winfrey Network channel, and various local morning shows and radio programs. Dr. Malkin is president and director of the Cambridge, Massachusetts–based YM Psychotherapy and Consultation, Inc., which provides psychotherapy and evidence-based couples workshops and currently resides in Boston with his wife and twin girls. For more information about Dr. Craig Malkin and his work, please visit www.drcraigmalkin.com.
* This page contains at least one affiliate link for the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, which means GoodTherapy.org receives financial compensation if you make a purchase using an Amazon link.
Continuing Education Provider Approvals
- GoodTherapy.org is Approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. GoodTherapy.org maintains responsibility for this program and its content. APA approval applies to all events listed after May 2011.
- GoodTherapy.org has been approved by NBCC as an Approved Continuing Education Provider, ACEP No. 6380. Programs that do not qualify for NBCC credit are clearly identified. GoodTherapy.org is solely responsible for all aspects of the programs.
- This course has been approved by GoodTherapy.org, as a NAADAC Approved Education Provider, for educational credits. NAADAC Provider #135463. GoodTherapy.org is responsible for all aspects of their programming.
- GoodTherapy.org, provider #1352, is approved as a provider for social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) www.aswb.org through the Approved Continuing Education (ACE) Program. GoodTherapy.org maintains responsibility for the program. ASWB Approval Period: 03/30/2016 – 03/30/2019. Social workers should contact their regulatory board to determine course approval for continuing education credits. Social workers participating in this course will receive 2 clinical continuing education clock hours.
- GoodTherapy.org, LLC is recognized by the New York State Education Department's State Board for Social Work as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed social workers #SW-0395.
- GoodTherapy.org, LLC is recognized by the New York State Education Department's State Board for Mental Health Practitioners as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed marriage and family therapists #MFT-0022 and for licensed mental health counselors #MHC-0031.