An Intentional Divorce After An Affair
Presented by Tammy Nelson, PhD on 10-02-2015 at 9 a.m. Pacific
This presentation will guide you through five essential strategies for helping couples facing separation and divorce, introduce a process for healing with intention, and provide interventions that facilitate couples as they navigate each stage of the process. You will learn clear and effective treatment strategies to apply in your work with couples as they determine how to proceed and to help them move toward a health separation when necessary.
Drawing upon Dr. Nelson's years of experience, we will look at case examples and evaluate contemporary treatment intervention strategies. You will acquire empowering techniques that will serve you and your clients as they intentionally and conscientiously close their relationships after infidelity, allowing all of you to avoid experiencing further trauma, chaos, or feelings of failure.
This intermediate, instructional level web conference is designed to help clinicians:
- Define how to end a relationship with integrity and describe the importance of closure after an affair.
- List five essential strategies in facilitating intentional divorce therapy after infidelity and explain how the process can be healing for couples.
- Explain how partners collude with the narrative that leads to divorce, how healthy dissolution can be achieved, and how separation does not necessarily imply treatment failure, but can, in fact, help each person move toward a healthy individual and family life.
- Describe the process for healing shame and helping couples move toward decision making, facilitate intervention, improve communication, work through grief, and cultivate a new vision for the future.
If you have any questions or concerns about this web conference, or would like more information, please contact us here.
How the Web Conference Works
Attendees who register for this event will log in to the web conference center by using a computer and calling in to the teleconference line. Attendees will be able to ask live audio questions via phone and/or submit text chat questions via computer. Live streaming video and/or document sharing will also be available to participants. Alternatively, attendees may dial in to the teleconference line only, though attendees dialing in by phone only will be unable to ask questions. The video portion of the web conference center is not accessible via smartphone or tablet.
Before the scheduled event, all registered attendees will be sent a reminder email with specific instructions on how to log in to the web conference center, as well as links to optional handout materials if applicable.
This event will include lecture and question-and-answer periods. After the live event, a written transcript of the event will be available in the Member's Area. Members of GoodTherapy.org can receive continuing education credits for attending this event by logging in to the GoodTherapy.org Member's Area.
At the conclusion of this event, you will receive an email with information about how to request a CE certificate. You will need to enter the start and end codes that will be announced at the beginning and end of the presentation. These codes confirm that you attended the entire event. You will be prompted to complete a survey. You will need to complete this online survey within six days of the event. Once you complete the survey, you can download a copy of your CE certificate instantly.
All are available to GoodTherapy.org members at no additional cost.
Continuing Education (CE) Information
Two CE credits will be provided by GoodTherapy.org for attending this web conference in its entirety.
GoodTherapy.org is also an Approved Education Provider by NAADAC, The Association for Addiction Professionals (provider #135463). Of the eight counselor skill groups ascribed to by NAADAC, this course is classified within counseling services.
GoodTherapy.org is an NBCC-Approved Continuing Education Provider (ACEPTM) and may offer NBCC-approved clock hours for events that meet NBCC requirements.
GoodTherapy.org, provider #1352, is approved as a provider for social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) www.aswb.org, through the Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program. ASWB Approval Period: March 30, 2016 through March 30, 2019. Social workers should contact their regulatory board to determine course approval. Social workers participating in this course will receive two clinical continuing education clock hours.
GoodTherapy.org is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. GoodTherapy.org maintains responsibility for this program and its content and is solely responsible for all aspects of the program.
GoodTherapy.org, SW CPE is recognized by the New York State Education Department's State Board for Social Work as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed social workers #0395.
This web conference is available at no cost to GoodTherapy.org members.
This event has already taken place. An audio recording for this event may be available in the Member's Area.
Dr. Nelson is very practical and has an excellent grasp of current concerns for couples. - Therese Bogan, LMFT
I liked that this presentation provided clear questions for client or marriage partners to consider when contemplating divorce. - Susan McChord Hurd, LCPC
I loved the examples of how couples have chosen to conscientiously de-couple through a ceremony or ritual. I love that idea and want to use it in my work with couples. - Alisha Fleming LPC
Meet the Presenter
Tammy Nelson, PhD
Tammy Nelson, PhD is a licensed counselor and psychotherapist specializing in relationships and sex. She has been in practice for nearly 30 years, and is certified as a sex therapist, a sexologist, and an Imago relationship therapist.
Tammy is committed to global relational change, and she travels internationally for speaking and training engagements on the topic of sustainable relationships and renewable monogamy. She has been featured as an expert in the Washington Post, Glamour Magazine, Men's Health, and the New York Times, among others. Tammy has authored many books, including The New Monogamy: Redefining Your Relationship After Infidelity, What’s Eating You? A Workbook for Anorexia, Bulimia, and Other Eating Disorders, and the forthcoming Sex and Lies: The Naked Therapist, which is currently under negotiation. Learn more about Tammy's work at www.drtammynelson.com, and follow her blog at www.drtammynelson.com/blog.
Continuing Education Provider Approvals
- GoodTherapy.org is Approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. GoodTherapy.org maintains responsibility for this program and its content. APA approval applies to all events listed after May 2011.
- GoodTherapy.org has been approved by NBCC as an Approved Continuing Education Provider, ACEP No. 6380. Programs that do not qualify for NBCC credit are clearly identified. GoodTherapy.org is solely responsible for all aspects of the programs.
- This course has been approved by GoodTherapy.org, as a NAADAC Approved Education Provider, for educational credits. NAADAC Provider #135463. GoodTherapy.org is responsible for all aspects of their programming.
- GoodTherapy.org, provider #1352, is approved as a provider for social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) www.aswb.org through the Approved Continuing Education (ACE) Program. GoodTherapy.org maintains responsibility for the program. ASWB Approval Period: 03/30/2016 – 03/30/2019. Social workers should contact their regulatory board to determine course approval for continuing education credits. Social workers participating in this course will receive 2 clinical continuing education clock hours.
- GoodTherapy.org, LLC is recognized by the New York State Education Department's State Board for Social Work as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed social workers #SW-0395.
- GoodTherapy.org, LLC is recognized by the New York State Education Department's State Board for Mental Health Practitioners as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed marriage and family therapists #MFT-0022 and for licensed mental health counselors #MHC-0031.