The Therapist's Unique Use of Self in Empowering Eating Disorder Recovery
Presented by Abigail Natenshon, MA, LCSW, GCFP on 02-22-2013 at 9 a.m. Pacific to 10:30 a.m. Pacific (1:30 p.m. Eastern)
This web conference highlights unique aspects of eating disorder recovery that set its treatment requirements apart from those of generic mental health practice, both in terms of case management and the therapist’s versatile use of self. Though most practitioners have already acquired the skills they need to manage these disorders effectively, the challenge for clinicians is to learn why, how and which of these previously mastered techniques to use when, in response to the unique demands of the eating disordered person and treatment moment. Reinforcing professional intention and confidence, the discussion will speak to the importance of integrating parents and loved ones into the healing process.
This web conference is intermediate instructional level and designed to help clinicians:
- Recognize the unique qualities that set eating disorder recovery apart from generic practice;Discover the unique personal challenges for health professionals treating eating disorders;
- Use effective nuts-and-bolts practice techniques to manage patient resistance, motivate a complete and sustainable recovery, and integrate parents and families into the healing process;
- Understand the significance of a quality therapeutic relationship in promoting the healing process.
If you have any questions about this web conference or would like more information, please contact us here.
All are available to GoodTherapy.org members at no additional cost.
Continuing Education (CE) Information
1.5 CE credits will be provided by GoodTherapy.org for attending this web conference in its entirety.
GoodTherapy.org is also an Approved Education Provider by NAADAC, The Association for Addiction Professionals (provider #135463). Of the eight counselor skill groups ascribed to by NAADAC, this course is classified within counseling services.
GoodTherapy.org is an NBCC-Approved Continuing Education Provider (ACEPTM) and may offer NBCC-approved clock hours for events that meet NBCC requirements.
GoodTherapy.org, provider #1352, is approved as a provider for social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) www.aswb.org, through the Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program. ASWB Approval Period: March 30, 2016 through March 30, 2019. Social workers should contact their regulatory board to determine course approval. Social workers participating in this course will receive two clinical continuing education clock hours.
GoodTherapy.org is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. GoodTherapy.org maintains responsibility for this program and its content.
GoodTherapy.org, SW CPE is recognized by the New York State Education Department's State Board for Social Work as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed social workers #0395.
This web conference is available for free to GoodTherapy.org members.
This event has already taken place. An audio recording for this event may be available in the Member's Area.
Meet the Presenter
Abigail Natenshon, MA, LCSW, GCFP
Abigail Natenshon, MA, LCSW, GCFP, has been a practicing psychotherapist for 43 years, specializing in treating individuals and families with eating disorders. She founded and currently serves as the director for Eating Disorder Specialists of Illinois: a Clinic without Walls. She authored Doing What Works: an Integrative System for the Treatment of Eating Disorders from Diagnosis to Recovery (NASW Press) and When Your Child Has An Eating Disorder: A Step-by-Step Workbook for Parents and Other Caregivers (Jossey-Bass Publishers). She recently completed an e-book primer about eating disorder recovery which serves health professionals, clients, and parents alike as a guidebook for healing. As a Guild Certified Feldenkrais Practitioner, she uses body-centered somatic education to promote awareness of body acceptance in individuals with eating disorders.
She has appeared on several television shows such as ABC News, Fox News, MSNBC, The John Walsh Show, and the The Oprah Winfrey Show. She has also made appearances on National Public Radio and has been widely published in professional journals and print media.
A graduate of the University of Chicago School of Social Service Administration, Abigail has a practice in Highland Park, Illinois. She is well known for speaking to professionals and parents for her expertise in eating and mood disorders.
To learn more about Abigail and her work, please visit www.AbigailNatenshon.com
Continuing Education Provider Approvals
- GoodTherapy.org is Approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. GoodTherapy.org maintains responsibility for this program and its content. GoodTherapy.org received APA approval in May 2011. Events after 2011 may meet APA requirements for Continuing Education credits.
- GoodTherapy.org has been approved by NBCC as an Approved Continuing Education Provider, ACEP No. 6380. Programs that do not qualify for NBCC credit are clearly identified. GoodTherapy.org is solely responsible for all aspects of the programs.
- This course has been approved by GoodTherapy.org, as a NAADAC Approved Education Provider, for educational credits. NAADAC Provider #135463. GoodTherapy.org is responsible for all aspects of their programming.
- GoodTherapy.org, provider #1352, is approved as a provider for social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) www.aswb.org through the Approved Continuing Education (ACE) Program. GoodTherapy.org maintains responsibility for the program. ASWB Approval Period: 03/30/2016 – 03/30/2019. Social workers should contact their regulatory board to determine course approval for continuing education credits. Social workers participating in this course will receive 2 clinical continuing education clock hours.
- GoodTherapy.org, LLC is recognized by the New York State Education Department's State Board for Social Work as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed social workers #SW-0395.
- GoodTherapy.org, LLC is recognized by the New York State Education Department's State Board for Mental Health Practitioners as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed marriage and family therapists #MFT-0022 and for licensed mental health counselors #MHC-0031.