Developing Cultural Competence in Psychotherapy Practice
Presented by Laura S. Brown, PhD, ABPP on 01-14-2011 at 9 a.m. Pacific
This web conference will introduce attendees to a model of culturally competent practice focusing on the self of the therapist. Avoiding guilt and shame, being able to make effective, empowering heart-to-heart connections with clients, and increasing awareness of one's own non-conscious biases will be the focus of this presentation.
This web conference is intermediate instructional level and designed to help clinicians:
- Discuss the ADDRESSING model and other intersectionality models of identity;
- Explain the concept of aversive bias as it applies to their practice;
- Analyze how privilege and disadvantage affect well-being and psychological distress;
- Apply strategies for integrating diversity into diagnostic formulation and treatment planning.
If you have any questions about this web conference or would like more information, please contact us here.
How the Web Conference Works
In short, participants will have two options for participating in this event. Option one, listening to the event by calling in to our teleconference center. Option two, listening to the event by calling in to the teleconference and viewing the event online. Prior to the event all participants will be sent an email with instructions on how to log in to the teleconference and videoconference center. This event will include lecture, interaction, and question and answer periods.
All are available to GoodTherapy.org members at no additional cost.
Continuing Education (CE) Information
1.5 CE credits will be provided by GoodTherapy.org for attending this web conference in its entirety.
GoodTherapy.org is also an Approved Education Provider by NAADAC, The Association for Addiction Professionals (provider #135463). Of the eight counselor skill groups ascribed to by NAADAC, this course is classified within counseling services.
GoodTherapy.org is an NBCC-Approved Continuing Education Provider (ACEPTM) and may offer NBCC-approved clock hours for events that meet NBCC requirements. GoodTherapy.org, provider #1352, is approved as a provider for social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) www.aswb.org, through the Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program. ASWB Approval Period: March 30, 2016 through March 30, 2019. Social workers should contact their regulatory board to determine course approval. Social workers participating in this course will receive two clinical continuing education clock hours. GoodTherapy.org maintains responsibility for this program and its content and is solely responsible for all aspects of the program.
GoodTherapy.org, SW CPE is recognized by the New York State Education Department's State Board for Social Work as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed social workers #0395.
This web conference is available at no cost to GoodTherapy.org members.
This event has already taken place. An audio recording for this event may be available in the Member's Area.
Meet the Presenter
Laura S. Brown, PhD, ABPP
Laura S. Brown received her doctorate in clinical psychology from Southern Illinois University at Carbondale in 1977, and she has lived and practiced in Seattle since then. Her many books include, among the most recent, Cultural Competence in Trauma Therapy: Beyond the Flashback and Feminist Therapy, both published by the American Psychology Association. She is featured in four videos produced by the APA: Feminist Therapy, Feminist Therapy Over Time (a six-session DVD), Therapy with Men Survivors of Trauma, and Therapy with Women Survivors of Trauma.
Laura has taught the topics of feminist therapy theory and practice and culturally competent trauma treatment throughout North America and in Europe, Israel, and Taiwan, and she is sought after for her engaging, empowering presentations. In addition to her practice of clinical and forensic psychology, Dr. Brown is the founder and director of a low-fee training clinic, the Fremont Community Therapy Project. More information about Dr. Brown can be found on her website.
Continuing Education Provider Approvals
- GoodTherapy.org has been approved by NBCC as an Approved Continuing Education Provider, ACEP No. 6380. Programs that do not qualify for NBCC credit are clearly identified. GoodTherapy.org is solely responsible for all aspects of the programs.
- This course has been approved by GoodTherapy.org, as a NAADAC Approved Education Provider, for educational credits. NAADAC Provider #135463. GoodTherapy.org is responsible for all aspects of their programming.
- GoodTherapy.org, provider #1352, is approved as a provider for social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) www.aswb.org through the Approved Continuing Education (ACE) Program. GoodTherapy.org maintains responsibility for the program. ASWB Approval Period: 03/30/2016 – 03/30/2019. Social workers should contact their regulatory board to determine course approval for continuing education credits. Social workers participating in this course will receive 2 clinical continuing education clock hours.
- GoodTherapy.org, SW CPE is recognized by the New York State Education Department's State Board for Social Work as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed social workers #0395.