Working with Transgender Clients: A Person-Centered and Narrative Therapy Model
Presented by Damon M. Constantinides, PhD, LSW on 04-06-2012 at 9 a.m. Pacific to 10:30 a.m. Pacific (1:30 p.m. Eastern)
Clients with a transgender identity may seek counseling to talk about their gender identity or for another reason such as depression, anxiety, or support in navigating a specific life transition. Transgender describes a gender identity that is different than the one assigned to a person at birth. Transgender identities include transsexual, female-to-male, male-to-female, genderqueer, and gender variant. Providing culturally competent services to transgender clients requires both knowledge of transgender issues and a level of comfort discussing gender and sexuality issues.
A person-centered and narrative therapy perspective is non-pathologizing, gives control to historically marginalized clients, and makes external oppression and discrimination visible.
This web conference will review terminology, transgender identity models, challenges of living with a stigmatized identity, and it will also provide examples of person-centered and narrative-based interventions for working with transgender clients.
This Web Conference is designed to help clinicians:
- Define the terms gender identity, transgender, transsexual, gender variance, and other terminology related to transgender identities;
- Learn one model of transgender coming out and identity formation;
- Name one barrier often experienced by people who identify as transgender;
- Learn two interventions designed for use with people who identify as transgender.
If you have any questions about this Web Conference or would like more information, please contact us here.
Continuing Education (CE) Information
1.5 CE credits will be provided by GoodTherapy.org for attending this web conference in its entirety.
GoodTherapy.org is also an Approved Education Provider by NAADAC, The Association for Addiction Professionals (provider #135463). Of the eight counselor skill groups ascribed to by NAADAC, this course is classified within counseling services.
GoodTherapy.org is an NBCC-Approved Continuing Education Provider (ACEPTM) and may offer NBCC-approved clock hours for events that meet NBCC requirements.
GoodTherapy.org, provider #1352, is approved as a provider for social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) www.aswb.org, through the Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program. ASWB Approval Period: March 30, 2016 through March 30, 2019. Social workers should contact their regulatory board to determine course approval. Social workers participating in this course will receive two clinical continuing education clock hours.
GoodTherapy.org is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. GoodTherapy.org maintains responsibility for this program and its content.
GoodTherapy.org, SW CPE is recognized by the New York State Education Department's State Board for Social Work as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed social workers #0395.
This Web Conference is available for free to GoodTherapy.org Members.
Meet the Presenter
Damon M. Constantinides, PhD, LSW
Damon is a social worker and sexuality educator who has a private psychotherapy practice in Philadelphia, PA. He holds a Master of Social Work (MSW) degree and a PhD in human sexuality education. Damon provides individual and couples counseling to adults and adolescents, he specializes in working with individuals who are struggling with identity issues. He has provided counseling services at two LGBT organizations in Philadelphia and currently co-facilitates a support group for transgender teenagers at The Attic Youth Center, an LGBT community center.
Damon has clinical experience working with transgender clients and has provided workshops about transgender competent care to providers at regional and national conferences including the American Associations of Sexuality Educators, Counselors, & Therapists. He is the author of a weekly blog and also contributes monthly articles as a GoodTherapy.org Topic Expert Contributor on the topic of identity issues. Damon can be reached for psychotherapy, consultation, and training services through his GoodTherapy.org profile page.
Continuing Education Provider Approvals
- GoodTherapy.org is Approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. GoodTherapy.org maintains responsibility for this program and its content. GoodTherapy.org received APA approval in May 2011. Events after 2011 may meet APA requirements for Continuing Education credits.
- GoodTherapy.org has been approved by NBCC as an Approved Continuing Education Provider, ACEP No. 6380. Programs that do not qualify for NBCC credit are clearly identified. GoodTherapy.org is solely responsible for all aspects of the programs.
- This course has been approved by GoodTherapy.org, as a NAADAC Approved Education Provider, for educational credits. NAADAC Provider #135463. GoodTherapy.org is responsible for all aspects of their programming.
- GoodTherapy.org, provider #1352, is approved as a provider for social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) www.aswb.org through the Approved Continuing Education (ACE) Program. GoodTherapy.org maintains responsibility for the program. ASWB Approval Period: 03/30/2016 – 03/30/2019. Social workers should contact their regulatory board to determine course approval for continuing education credits. Social workers participating in this course will receive 2 clinical continuing education clock hours.
- GoodTherapy.org, LLC is recognized by the New York State Education Department's State Board for Social Work as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed social workers #SW-0395.
- GoodTherapy.org, LLC is recognized by the New York State Education Department's State Board for Mental Health Practitioners as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed marriage and family therapists #MFT-0022 and for licensed mental health counselors #MHC-0031.