The Do’s and Don’ts of Social Media for Psychotherapists
Presented by Keely Kolmes, PsyD on 12-07-2018 at 9 a.m. Pacific (noon Eastern) to 11 a.m. Pacific (2 p.m. Eastern)
Social media presents a variety of clinical and ethical challenges for clinicians who provide face-to-face mental health services. These challenges can include extra-therapeutic contacts between clinicians and their clients. Clinicians must also consider what distinguishes personal from professional activities online. These challenges are compounded when clinicians lack clearly developed policies related to their online behaviors and interactions.
In this 2-hour continuing education web conference, Dr. Keely Kolmes will discuss how to apply digital ethics to social networking sites and activities. Dr. Kolmes will provide guidelines for anticipating and managing issues that may arise for practitioners who are using social media. Additionally, Dr. Kolmes will address current applicable ethical standards.
This introductory instructional level web conference is designed to help clinicians:
- Analyze the latest research on clients and clinicians seeking one another’s information on the internet.
- Describe several popular social media sites and services.
- Summarize the ethical challenges that may arise from engaging in activities on the internet.
- Assess different approaches and strategies toward social networking and managing one’s online presence.
- Create a social media policy for a practice to address potential ethical issues with clients.
If you have any questions or concerns about this web conference or would like more information, please contact us here.
How the Web Conference Works
Before the scheduled event, all registered attendees will be sent a reminder email from GoodTherapy with specific instructions on how to log in to the web conference center, as well as links to optional handout materials if applicable.
To attend the event, registered attendees will log in to the web conference center using a computer or device (smartphone or tablet with internet access) and calling into the teleconference line on a phone.
Attendees will be able to ask live audio questions via phone and/or submit text chat questions via their computer or device. Attendees who are logged in to the event center will be able to see the live streaming video and/or document sharing. Alternatively, attendees may dial into the teleconference line only, though attendees dialing in by phone only will be unable to ask questions.
At the conclusion of this event, participants will receive an email with information about how to request a CE certificate in the GoodTherapy Member's Area. To confirm attendance, participants must enter the start and end codes announced at the beginning and end of the live presentation. Participants will also be prompted to complete an online survey evaluating the event. Participants will need to complete this online survey within six days after the event. Once completed, participants will be able to download a copy of their CE certificate instantly.
For additional information about this event or our CE grievance procedures, please contact us here.
Continuing Education (CE) Information
2 CE contact hours will be provided by GoodTherapy for attending this web conference in its entirety.
GoodTherapy is an Approved Education Provider by NAADAC, The Association for Addiction Professionals (provider #135463). Of the eight counselor skill groups ascribed to by NAADAC, this course is classified within Counseling Services.
GoodTherapy is an NBCC-Approved Continuing Education Provider (ACEPTM) and may offer NBCC-approved clock hours for events that meet NBCC requirements.
This organization, GoodTherapy, provider #1352, is approved as a provider for social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) www.aswb.org through the Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program. GoodTherapy maintains responsibility for the program. ASWB Approval Period: March 30, 2016 through March 30, 2019. Social workers should contact their regulatory board to determine course approval for continuing education credits. Social workers participating in this course will receive two clinical continuing education clock hours.
GoodTherapy is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. GoodTherapy maintains responsibility for this program and its content.
GoodTherapy, SW CPE is recognized by the New York State Education Department's State Board for Social Work as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed social workers #0395.
GoodTherapy, LLC is recognized by the New York State Education Department's State Board for Mental Health Practitioners as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed marriage and family therapists #MFT-0022 and for licensed mental health counselors #MHC-0031.
Premium Membership with GoodTherapy includes access to this web conference at no cost. Not yet a Premium Member? Mental health professionals can attend this live web conference for $29.95 or access the home-study recording for $14.95.
Meet the Presenter
Keely Kolmes, PsyD
Keely Kolmes, PsyD is a licensed psychologist in private practice in San Francisco, CA. Dr. Kolmes currently serves as Vice Chair on the Ethics Committee of the California Psychological Association (CPA) and is CPA's elected Council Representative on the American Psychological Association’s (APA) Council.
Dr. Kolmes writes, researches, and provides consultation and training on clinical and ethical issues related to social networking and technology. Their Private Practice Social Media Policy has been cited and adapted internationally. They have published a New York Times Op-Ed on the challenge of consumer reviews of mental health services. Dr. Kolmes has also been quoted in The Washington Post, Forbes.com, HuffPost Live, and BBC News on issues related to the internet, ethics, and clinical practice.
Continuing Education Provider Approvals
- GoodTherapy.org is Approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. GoodTherapy.org maintains responsibility for this program and its content. GoodTherapy.org received APA approval in May 2011. Events after 2011 may meet APA requirements for Continuing Education credits.
- GoodTherapy.org has been approved by NBCC as an Approved Continuing Education Provider, ACEP No. 6380. Programs that do not qualify for NBCC credit are clearly identified. GoodTherapy.org is solely responsible for all aspects of the programs.
- This course has been approved by GoodTherapy.org, as a NAADAC Approved Education Provider, for educational credits. NAADAC Provider #135463. GoodTherapy.org is responsible for all aspects of their programming.
- GoodTherapy.org, provider #1352, is approved as a provider for social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) www.aswb.org through the Approved Continuing Education (ACE) Program. GoodTherapy.org maintains responsibility for the program. ASWB Approval Period: 03/30/2016 – 03/30/2019. Social workers should contact their regulatory board to determine course approval for continuing education credits. Social workers participating in this course will receive 2 clinical continuing education clock hours.
- GoodTherapy.org, LLC is recognized by the New York State Education Department's State Board for Social Work as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed social workers #SW-0395.
- GoodTherapy.org, LLC is recognized by the New York State Education Department's State Board for Mental Health Practitioners as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed marriage and family therapists #MFT-0022 and for licensed mental health counselors #MHC-0031.