Suicide: What Therapists Need to Know
Presented by Lisa Firestone, PhD on 01-09-2015 at 9 a.m. Pacific to 11 a.m. Pacific (2 p.m. Eastern)
As psychotherapists, the most common psychiatric emergency we may encounter is suicide. In fact, 71% of clinicians report having worked with one or more clients who have attempted suicide, and 28% have had at least one client die by suicide.
This web conference will review risk factors and warning signs for suicide, provide a developmental perspective and conceptual model on the contributing factors of suicide, and look at the personal struggles and ambivalence associated with suicide through expert interviews and the stories of three survivors of suicide attempts. We will discuss using clinical judgment and objective assessment, and learn to use emerging crisis management techniques. New research validating treatment approaches will be addressed.
This web conference is intermediate instructional level and designed to help clinicians:
- Describe the core dynamics operating in clients at risk for suicide;
- Categorize negative attitudes and patterns of thought that contribute to self-destructive and suicidal behavior;
- Discover appropriate crisis interventions for at-risk clients;
- Examine a number of validated treatments directly targeted for suicidal behaviors.
If you have any questions or concerns about this web conference, or would like more information, please contact us here.
Event Reviews from Members
"The entire presentation was amazing...thank you for bringing such a great expert to me and offering the opportunity to enrich my knowledge through membership in Good Therapy...Excellent benefit of membership and this workshop was the best ever!" - Susan Albrecht, LCSW
"She was outstanding. Her knowledge made the presentation like a conversation among professionals. Great webinar! And obviously the concrete techniques are very important to saving lives. Bravo for all the efforts!" - Anat Samid, MSW, LCSW
Continuing Education (CE) Information
Two CE credits will be provided by GoodTherapy.org for attending this web conference in its entirety.
GoodTherapy.org is also an Approved Education Provider by NAADAC, The Association for Addiction Professionals (provider #135463). Of the eight counselor skill groups ascribed to by NAADAC, this course is classified within counseling services.
GoodTherapy.org is an NBCC-Approved Continuing Education Provider (ACEPTM) and may offer NBCC-approved clock hours for events that meet NBCC requirements.
GoodTherapy.org, provider #1352, is approved as a provider for social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) www.aswb.org, through the Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program. ASWB Approval Period: March 30, 2016 through March 30, 2019. Social workers should contact their regulatory board to determine course approval. Social workers participating in this course will receive two clinical continuing education clock hours.
GoodTherapy.org is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. GoodTherapy.org maintains responsibility for this program and its content.
GoodTherapy.org, SW CPE is recognized by the New York State Education Department's State Board for Social Work as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed social workers #0395.
Premium Membership with GoodTherapy includes access to this web conference at no cost. Not yet a Premium Member? Mental health professionals can attend this live web conference for $29.95 or access the homestudy recording for $14.95.
Meet the Presenter
Lisa Firestone, PhD
For 25 years, Dr. Lisa Firestone has been a clinical psychologist with practices in Santa Barbara and Los Angeles, California. Lisa is the Director of Research and Education for The Glendon Association and a Senior Editor for PsychAlive.org. She has co-authored several books, including The Self Under Siege, Conquer Your Critical Inner Voice, Sex and Love in Intimate Relationships, and Creating a Life of Meaning and Compassion: The Wisdom of Psychotherapy. Lisa is also a regular blogger for Huffington Post and is recognized nationally and internationally as a speaker addressing topics such as parenting, couple relations, violence and suicide prevention assessment and treatment.
Lisa received her PhD from the California School of Professional Psychology, and she has participated in clinical training and applied research in suicide and violence since 1987. Lisa and her father, Dr. Robert Firestone, have collaborated to develop the Firestone Assessment of Self-Destructive Thoughts (FAST) and the Firestone Assessment of Violent Thoughts (FAVT). You can learn more about Lisa Firestone’s work at www.glendon.org.
Continuing Education Provider Approvals
- GoodTherapy.org is Approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. GoodTherapy.org maintains responsibility for this program and its content. GoodTherapy.org received APA approval in May 2011. Events after 2011 may meet APA requirements for Continuing Education credits.
- GoodTherapy.org has been approved by NBCC as an Approved Continuing Education Provider, ACEP No. 6380. Programs that do not qualify for NBCC credit are clearly identified. GoodTherapy.org is solely responsible for all aspects of the programs.
- This course has been approved by GoodTherapy.org, as a NAADAC Approved Education Provider, for educational credits. NAADAC Provider #135463. GoodTherapy.org is responsible for all aspects of their programming.
- GoodTherapy.org, provider #1352, is approved as a provider for social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) www.aswb.org through the Approved Continuing Education (ACE) Program. GoodTherapy.org maintains responsibility for the program. ASWB Approval Period: 03/30/2016 – 03/30/2019. Social workers should contact their regulatory board to determine course approval for continuing education credits. Social workers participating in this course will receive 2 clinical continuing education clock hours.
- GoodTherapy.org, LLC is recognized by the New York State Education Department's State Board for Social Work as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed social workers #SW-0395.
- GoodTherapy.org, LLC is recognized by the New York State Education Department's State Board for Mental Health Practitioners as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed marriage and family therapists #MFT-0022 and for licensed mental health counselors #MHC-0031.