Reducing Sexual and Gender Identity Microaggressions in Counseling
Presented by Jeff Peterson, LCPC, LPC, NCC on 08-12-2016 at 9 a.m. Pacific (noon Eastern) to 11 a.m. Pacific (2 p.m. Eastern)
Microaggressions involving sexual and gender identity occur in everyday life, from current events and social media to interactions in the therapist’s office. Systemic microaggressions can perpetuate existing mental health issues while intersectional microaggressions may compound those issues when sexual orientation, race, gender identity, social class and other identities intersect.
During this two-hour continuing education web conference, Jeff Peterson will outline strategies to help mental health clinicians advocate for reducing sexual and gender identity microaggression. He will discuss how such microaggressions can act as significant deterrents for individuals seeking healthcare. Participants will develop skills for instructing healthcare administrators and providers as well as policy makers about critically reflecting on their own identities in order to reduce bias.
Participants will learn how to demonstrate practical ways for reducing or eliminating sexual and gender identity microaggressions in their individual healthcare setting. Jeff will present and define appropriate terminology for addressing issues pertinent to sexual and gender minorities. He will also share strategies for specific changes that mental health providers can make to reduce these barriers and increase accessibility to healthcare.
This introductory instructional level web conference is designed to help clinicians:
- Demonstrate the ability to define and understand microaggressions.
- Recognize microaggressive terminology in order to develop alternative language.
- Explain the social ecology of sexual and gender identity.
- Recognize the chilling effects of microaggressions and how they impair accessibility to healthcare.
- Identify and analyze personal microaggressions.
- Summarize what providers can do to help reduce microaggressions in counseling.
If you have any questions or concerns about this web conference, or would like more information, please contact us contact us here.
Event Reviews from Members
Personal stories were relevant and enriched the presentation. - Deanna Richards, LMHC
The presenter was well informed and thorough, and the information is very relevant in this changing world! - Ramona K Clifton, LCSW
Continuing Education (CE) Information
Two CE credits will be provided by GoodTherapy.org for attending this web conference in its entirety.
GoodTherapy.org is an Approved Education Provider by NAADAC, The Association for Addiction Professionals (provider #135463). Of the eight counselor skill groups ascribed to by NAADAC, this course is classified within counseling services.
GoodTherapy.org is an NBCC-Approved Continuing Education Provider (ACEPTM) and may offer NBCC-approved clock hours for events that meet NBCC requirements.
This organization, GoodTherapy.org, provider #1352, is approved as a provider for social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) www.aswb.org through the Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program. GoodTherapy.org maintains responsibility for the program. ASWB Approval Period: March 30, 2016 through March 30, 2019. Social workers should contact their regulatory board to determine course approval for continuing education credits. Social workers participating in this course will receive two clinical continuing education clock hours.
GoodTherapy.org is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. GoodTherapy.org maintains responsibility for this program and its content.
GoodTherapy.org, SW CPE is recognized by the New York State Education Department's State Board for Social Work as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed social workers #0395.
Premium Membership with GoodTherapy includes access to this web conference at no cost. Not yet a Premium Member? Mental health professionals can attend this live web conference for $29.95 or access the homestudy recording for $14.95.
Meet the Presenter
Jeff Peterson, LCPC, LPC, NCC
Jeff Peterson is a Licensed Clinical Professional Counselor, a Licensed Professional Counselor, and a Nationally Certified Counselor in Missouri, Kansas, and Colorado. He is a graduate of the University of Iowa and Walden University and is currently a PhD doctoral candidate in Clinical Mental Health Counseling Education and Supervision. Jeff is adjunct faculty in the Psychology Department at Avila University in Kansas City and at Argosy University in Denver, Colorado.
Jeff is a member of Golden Key and Chi Sigma Iota graduate honors societies, and a two-time graduate scholarship recipient with over 4,000 hours of mental-health based volunteer community service. He is also the co-founder and organizer of the Healthcare Guild, a national non-profit organization dedicated to helping sexual and gender minorities find affirming and culturally competent health care.
For more information about Jeff Peterson, please visit his website at www.kcpsychotherapy.com.
Continuing Education Provider Approvals
- GoodTherapy.org is Approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. GoodTherapy.org maintains responsibility for this program and its content. GoodTherapy.org received APA approval in May 2011. Events after 2011 may meet APA requirements for Continuing Education credits.
- GoodTherapy.org has been approved by NBCC as an Approved Continuing Education Provider, ACEP No. 6380. Programs that do not qualify for NBCC credit are clearly identified. GoodTherapy.org is solely responsible for all aspects of the programs.
- This course has been approved by GoodTherapy.org, as a NAADAC Approved Education Provider, for educational credits. NAADAC Provider #135463. GoodTherapy.org is responsible for all aspects of their programming.
- GoodTherapy.org, provider #1352, is approved as a provider for social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) www.aswb.org through the Approved Continuing Education (ACE) Program. GoodTherapy.org maintains responsibility for the program. ASWB Approval Period: 03/30/2016 – 03/30/2019. Social workers should contact their regulatory board to determine course approval for continuing education credits. Social workers participating in this course will receive 2 clinical continuing education clock hours.
- GoodTherapy.org, LLC is recognized by the New York State Education Department's State Board for Social Work as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed social workers #SW-0395.
- GoodTherapy.org, LLC is recognized by the New York State Education Department's State Board for Mental Health Practitioners as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed marriage and family therapists #MFT-0022 and for licensed mental health counselors #MHC-0031.