The Science of Trust
Presented by Dr. John Gottman, PhD on 05-07-2010 at 9 a.m. Pacific to 10:30 a.m. Pacific (1:30 p.m. Eastern)
We are living through a global catastrophe of trust. We are experiencing this on every front today: decreased trust in our economic system, our government, our banks, in Wall Street, with employers, and more. Most tragic of all is the decreased trust that people are experiencing in their closest relationships, particularly in their marriage and love relationships. Dr. Gottman will review "the science of trust" in the context of couple relationships, including the physiology and mathematics of trust and betrayal. He will review how recent research has led to a precise definition of trust and discuss his new empirically-based theory of trust. Topics will include discussion on how to create trust in love relationships and how it is possible to sometimes heal from betrayal.
Continuing Education (CE) Information
1.5 CE credits will be provided by GoodTherapy.org for attending this web conference in its entirety.
GoodTherapy.org is also an Approved Education Provider by NAADAC, The Association for Addiction Professionals (provider #135463). Of the eight counselor skill groups ascribed to by NAADAC, this course is classified within counseling services.
GoodTherapy.org is an NBCC-Approved Continuing Education Provider (ACEPTM) and may offer NBCC-approved clock hours for events that meet NBCC requirements.
GoodTherapy.org, provider #1352, is approved as a provider for social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) www.aswb.org, through the Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program. ASWB Approval Period: March 30, 2016 through March 30, 2019. Social workers should contact their regulatory board to determine course approval. Social workers participating in this course will receive two clinical continuing education clock hours. GoodTherapy.org maintains responsibility for this program and its content and is solely responsible for all aspects of the program.
GoodTherapy.org, SW CPE is recognized by the New York State Education Department's State Board for Social Work as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed social workers #0395.
This event is available for free to GoodTherapy.org members.
Meet the Presenter
Dr. John Gottman, PhD
Dr. John Gottman is world-renowned for his work on marital stability and divorce prediction, which involves the study of emotions, physiology, and communication. He was recently voted as one of the Top 10 Most Influential Therapists of the past quarter-century by the Psychotherapy Networker publication. Dr. Gottman’s 30 years of breakthrough research on marriage and parenting has earned him numerous major awards including four National Institute of Mental Health Research Scientist Awards and the Presidential Citation for Outstanding Lifetime Research Contribution. He is the author of 190 articles and author or co-author of 40 books, including the New York Times bestseller, The Seven Principles for Making Marriage Work.
Dr. Gottman and his wife, Dr. Julie Schwartz Gottman, are the co-founders of the Gottman Institute™ where he currently teaches. He is the Executive Director of the Relationship Research Institute and is beginning a new research project on treatment for domestic violence. Dr. Gottman is also in private practice in Seattle and on Orcas Island, WA. He is an emeritus professor of psychology at the University of Washington and founded "The Love Lab." He and his wife currently co-present five couples workshops on "The Art and Science of Love" each year.
Continuing Education Provider Approvals
- GoodTherapy.org has been approved by NBCC as an Approved Continuing Education Provider, ACEP No. 6380. Programs that do not qualify for NBCC credit are clearly identified. GoodTherapy.org is solely responsible for all aspects of the programs.
- This course has been approved by GoodTherapy.org, as a NAADAC Approved Education Provider, for educational credits. NAADAC Provider #135463. GoodTherapy.org is responsible for all aspects of their programming.
- GoodTherapy.org, provider #1352, is approved as a provider for social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) www.aswb.org through the Approved Continuing Education (ACE) Program. GoodTherapy.org maintains responsibility for the program. ASWB Approval Period: 03/30/2016 – 03/30/2019. Social workers should contact their regulatory board to determine course approval for continuing education credits. Social workers participating in this course will receive 2 clinical continuing education clock hours.
- GoodTherapy.org, LLC is recognized by the New York State Education Department's State Board for Social Work as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed social workers #SW-0395.
- GoodTherapy.org, LLC is recognized by the New York State Education Department's State Board for Mental Health Practitioners as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed marriage and family therapists #MFT-0022 and for licensed mental health counselors #MHC-0031.