Professional Counselors as Gatekeepers in Immigration Evaluations
Presented by Juan Santos, MS, LPC on 10-19-2018 at 9 a.m. Pacific (noon Eastern) to 11 a.m. Pacific (2 p.m. Eastern)
Professional counselors may find themselves positioned as gatekeepers when providing mental health immigration evaluations. It is important for providers to learn best practices for immigration evaluations and understand how to work with attorneys while supporting their clients through this process.
In this two-hour continuing education web conference, Juan Santos, LPC will discuss the legal interpretation of common immigration cases that counselors may be exposed to. Juan will also discuss the role of the counselor and attorney as a collaborative relationship.
Juan will provide guidance for working with clients from the initial phone call to the evaluation, as well as an inside look at how evaluations are conducted and written. Juan will also explain professional and ethical considerations for immigration evaluations.
This introductory instructional level web conference is designed to help clinicians:
- Prepare for immigration cases.
- Summarize the role of the counselor in immigration cases.
- Summarize the role of the attorney in immigration cases.
- Write an immigration evaluation.
- Assess ethical and professional considerations in immigration cases.
- Plan how to work with clients from start to finish of immigration cases.
If you have any questions or concerns about this web conference, or would like more information, please contact us.
How the Web Conference Works
Before the scheduled event, all registered attendees will be sent a reminder email from GoodTherapy with specific instructions on how to log in to the web conference center, as well as links to optional handout materials if applicable.
To attend the event, registered attendees will log in to the web conference center using a computer or device (smartphone or tablet with internet access) and calling into the teleconference line on a phone. Attendees will be able to ask live audio questions via phone and/or submit text chat questions via their computer or device. Attendees who are logged in to the event center will be able to see the live streaming video and/or document sharing. Alternatively, attendees may dial into the teleconference line only, though attendees dialing in by phone only will be unable to ask questions.
At the conclusion of this event, participants will receive an email with information about how to request a CE certificate in the GoodTherapy Member's Area. To confirm attendance, participants must enter the start and end codes announced at the beginning and end of the live presentation. Participants will also be prompted to complete an online survey evaluating the event. Participants will need to complete this online survey within six days after the event. Once completed, participants will be able to download a copy of their CE certificate instantly.
For additional information about this event or our CE grievance procedures, please contact us here.
All are available to GoodTherapy.org members at no additional cost.
Continuing Education (CE) Information
2 CE contact hours will be provided by GoodTherapy for attending this web conference in its entirety.
GoodTherapy is an Approved Education Provider by NAADAC, The Association for Addiction Professionals (provider #135463). Of the eight counselor skill groups ascribed to by NAADAC, this course is classified within Counseling Services.
GoodTherapy is an NBCC-Approved Continuing Education Provider (ACEPTM) and may offer NBCC-approved clock hours for events that meet NBCC requirements.
This organization, GoodTherapy, provider #1352, is approved as a provider for social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) www.aswb.org through the Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program. GoodTherapy maintains responsibility for the program. ASWB Approval Period: March 30, 2016 through March 30, 2019. Social workers should contact their regulatory board to determine course approval for continuing education credits. Social workers participating in this course will receive two clinical continuing education clock hours.
GoodTherapy is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. GoodTherapy maintains responsibility for this program and its content.
GoodTherapy, SW CPE is recognized by the New York State Education Department's State Board for Social Work as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed social workers #0395.
GoodTherapy, LLC is recognized by the New York State Education Department's State Board for Mental Health Practitioners as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed marriage and family therapists #MFT-0022 and for licensed mental health counselors #MHC-0031.
Premium Membership with GoodTherapy includes access to this web conference at no cost. Not yet a Premium Member? Mental health professionals can attend this live web conference for $29.95 or access the home-study recording for $14.95.
Meet the Presenter
Juan Santos, MS, LPC
Juan Santos, MS, LPC is a professional counselor, consultant, and book author who specializes in immigration evaluations and in relationship stability. He has conducted over 50 immigration evaluations in cases ranging from Waivers to U-Visas. Juan works with attorneys in the NC Triad area providing evaluations to individuals in the immigration process. He has presented "Professional Counselors: Gatekeepers in Immigration Mental Health Evaluations" at the University of the Cumberland’s Summer 2018 doctoral residency and will be presenting at the NCLPCA 2018 Fall conference. To receive training from Juan in best practice for immigration evaluations, visit www.santoscounseling.com/hardship-evaluation-training
In addition to his work in immigration evaluations, Juan is the creator of two online-relationship courses: "Marriage Preparation Course: For Premarital Couples" and "The Relationship Building Course: For Struggling Couples." He is also the author of the following self-help books:
- Couples Workbook: Making Your Relationship Work,
- 100 Ways Married Men Can Remain Emotionally Connected
- Life Without Stress
- My Journal
- Parenting Education for Hispanic Families
Juan is the owner of Santos Counseling, PLLC, a counseling private practice located in Greensboro and Winston-Salem, North Carolina. Juan is currently completing his doctoral studies at the University of the Cumberlands. He spends his time away from work with his wife and their two children.
* This page contains at least one affiliate link for the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, which means GoodTherapy.org receives financial compensation if you make a purchase using an Amazon link.
Continuing Education Provider Approvals
- GoodTherapy.org is Approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. GoodTherapy.org maintains responsibility for this program and its content. GoodTherapy.org received APA approval in May 2011. Events after 2011 may meet APA requirements for Continuing Education credits.
- GoodTherapy.org has been approved by NBCC as an Approved Continuing Education Provider, ACEP No. 6380. Programs that do not qualify for NBCC credit are clearly identified. GoodTherapy.org is solely responsible for all aspects of the programs.
- This course has been approved by GoodTherapy.org, as a NAADAC Approved Education Provider, for educational credits. NAADAC Provider #135463. GoodTherapy.org is responsible for all aspects of their programming.
- GoodTherapy.org, provider #1352, is approved as a provider for social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) www.aswb.org through the Approved Continuing Education (ACE) Program. GoodTherapy.org maintains responsibility for the program. ASWB Approval Period: 03/30/2016 – 03/30/2019. Social workers should contact their regulatory board to determine course approval for continuing education credits. Social workers participating in this course will receive 2 clinical continuing education clock hours.
- GoodTherapy.org, LLC is recognized by the New York State Education Department's State Board for Social Work as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed social workers #SW-0395.
- GoodTherapy.org, LLC is recognized by the New York State Education Department's State Board for Mental Health Practitioners as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed marriage and family therapists #MFT-0022 and for licensed mental health counselors #MHC-0031.