Power Abused, Power Healed
Presented by Judith Barr, MA, LMHC on 07-11-2008 at 9 a.m. Pacific to 10:30 a.m. Pacific (1:30 p.m. Eastern)
Misuse and abuse of power is commonplace in our world. It occurs in homes, schools, churches, government and sadly, in therapists' practices and healing workshops. Any position of power carries with it the temptation to abuse that power. Typically disguising itself as something noble, the root of power abuse is woundedness, woundedness calling to be healed! As therapists, we need to answer that call in behalf of ourselves, our clients, and our world. As therapists we are in positions of power. It is our responsibility to learn how people form their relationship with power, how power is misused and abused in our work, and how we can help to heal the relationship with power in ourselves, our clients, and our world.
Judith Barr will utilize her book Power Abused, Power Healed, to help participants begin exploring the theme of misuse and abuse of power in the healing professions. Through the stories in her book and other ways of teaching, participants will start to recognize experiences from colleaguial conversations, client reports, and their own life encounters, both professional and personal. They will also begin to comprehend the impact on others and on themselves when power is misused and abused, especially in places where we believe we are safe. This workshop is intended to inspire participants to meet, face, and heal themselves when they are tempted to misuse or abuse their power. To be a call and guide to the right use of power in their practices and in their lives! And to help their clients heal their own relationships with power!
All are available to GoodTherapy.org members at no additional cost.
Continuing Education (CE) Information
1.5 CE credits will be provided by GoodTherapy.org for attending this web conference in its entirety.
GoodTherapy.org is also an Approved Education Provider by NAADAC, The Association for Addiction Professionals (provider #135463). Of the eight counselor skill groups ascribed to by NAADAC, this course is classified within counseling services.
GoodTherapy.org is an NBCC-Approved Continuing Education Provider (ACEPTM) and may offer NBCC-approved clock hours for events that meet NBCC requirements.
GoodTherapy.org, provider #1352, is approved as a provider for social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) www.aswb.org, through the Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program. ASWB Approval Period: March 30, 2016 through March 30, 2019. Social workers should contact their regulatory board to determine course approval. Social workers participating in this course will receive two clinical continuing education clock hours. GoodTherapy.org maintains responsibility for this program and its content and is solely responsible for all aspects of the program.
GoodTherapy.org, SW CPE is recognized by the New York State Education Department's State Board for Social Work as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed social workers #0395.
This web conference is available at no cost to GoodTherapy.org members.
This event has already taken place. A recording of this event may be available in the Member's Area.
Meet the Presenter
Judith Barr, MA, LMHC
Judith Barr is passionate about her desire to help heal and transform the planet and is committed to making a difference one-by-one and on a global scale. She brings to her practice a tapestry of natural gifts interwoven with her life experience and professional skills, combining her deep roots in psychotherapy with her own growing-edge spiritual midwifery, the practice of serving as midwife to the birthing and journey of another's soul.
Judith practices in Brookfield, Connecticut. Her background includes private practice as a depth psychotherapist since 1975, an MS in Counseling, and licensure as a Mental Health Counselor. She has published an audio series, "The Spoken Word on Behalf of the Feminine," and more than two dozen articles for both professionals and the general public. Judith offers her healing expertise in an array of formats, including working with individuals, groups, workshops, and consultations. In addition to this she offers training and supervision programs for healing arts professionals. Her work with power and the birth of this book inspire her to explore beyond her imagination how she can be of further service in our world.
Continuing Education Provider Approvals
- GoodTherapy.org has been approved by NBCC as an Approved Continuing Education Provider, ACEP No. 6380. Programs that do not qualify for NBCC credit are clearly identified. GoodTherapy.org is solely responsible for all aspects of the programs.
- This course has been approved by GoodTherapy.org, as a NAADAC Approved Education Provider, for educational credits. NAADAC Provider #135463. GoodTherapy.org is responsible for all aspects of their programming.
- GoodTherapy.org, provider #1352, is approved as a provider for social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) www.aswb.org through the Approved Continuing Education (ACE) Program. GoodTherapy.org maintains responsibility for the program. ASWB Approval Period: 03/30/2016 – 03/30/2019. Social workers should contact their regulatory board to determine course approval for continuing education credits. Social workers participating in this course will receive 2 clinical continuing education clock hours.
- GoodTherapy.org, LLC is recognized by the New York State Education Department's State Board for Social Work as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed social workers #SW-0395.
- GoodTherapy.org, LLC is recognized by the New York State Education Department's State Board for Mental Health Practitioners as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed marriage and family therapists #MFT-0022 and for licensed mental health counselors #MHC-0031.