Moving Toward Money Harmony: For You and Your Clients
Presented by Olivia Mellan, MS on 09-25-2009 at 9 a.m. Pacific to 10:30 a.m. Pacific (1:30 p.m. Eastern)
In the therapy office and in life in general, money is often the last taboo in relationships. Not only is it one of the top areas of marital discontent, but psychotherapists as a group tend to avoid dealing with money issues with their clients (and in themselves). This web conference will provide insights and exercises to help you develop a more balanced relationship to money in your life, and will help you help your clients resolve their money conflicts, whether intrapsychic or interpersonal.
Olivia will explore the reasons why people are so irrational around money, money messages and childhood vows, money myths which need to be debunked, money personality types, gender differences around money, and couples polarization patterns. Olivia will also spend a little time looking at money dysfunctions such as compulsive overspending, and talk about how people change for good using Prochaska's model. Finally, you'll learn about creating money dialogues, an exercise that can transform your (and your clients') relationship to money over time.
Continuing Education (CE) Information
1.5 CE credits will be provided by GoodTherapy.org for attending this web conference in its entirety.
GoodTherapy.org is an NBCC-Approved Continuing Education Provider (ACEPTM) and may offer NBCC-approved clock hours for events that meet NBCC requirements. GoodTherapy.org solely is responsible for all aspects of the program.
GoodTherapy.org, SW CPE is recognized by the New York State Education Department's State Board for Social Work as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed social workers #0395.
This teleconference is available for free to GoodTherapy.org members.
Meet the Presenter
Olivia Mellan, MS
Olivia Mellan, MS, is a Washington, DC-based psychotherapist who has been in private practice with the Washington Therapy Guild since 1974. In 1982, she created "money harmony" work, helping individuals, couples, and practitioners understand and resolve their relationship to money, and their relationship to others around money. For over 25 years, she has been speaking and training all over the country, to therapists, financial professionals, women's groups, and the general public around money conflict resolution, stress management, and communication skills. She writes a monthly column in Investment Advisor magazine, The Psychology of Advice, helping financial professionals build stronger connections with their clients. She offers one series of teleclasses to therapists, counselors, coaches and financial professionals, and another to the general public. Author of five critically acclaimed books, Olivia has appeared frequently on The TODAY Show, Oprah and ABC's 20-20, and has been interviewed nationally on radio, TV, and in print media. More information about Olivia and her work can be found on her website.
Continuing Education Provider Approvals
- GoodTherapy.org has been approved by NBCC as an Approved Continuing Education Provider, ACEP No. 6380. Programs that do not qualify for NBCC credit are clearly identified. GoodTherapy.org is solely responsible for all aspects of the programs.
- This course has been approved by GoodTherapy.org, as a NAADAC Approved Education Provider, for educational credits. NAADAC Provider #135463. GoodTherapy.org is responsible for all aspects of their programming.
- GoodTherapy.org, provider #1352, is approved as a provider for social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) www.aswb.org through the Approved Continuing Education (ACE) Program. GoodTherapy.org maintains responsibility for the program. ASWB Approval Period: 03/30/2016 – 03/30/2019. Social workers should contact their regulatory board to determine course approval for continuing education credits. Social workers participating in this course will receive 2 clinical continuing education clock hours.
- GoodTherapy.org, LLC is recognized by the New York State Education Department's State Board for Social Work as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed social workers #SW-0395.
- GoodTherapy.org, LLC is recognized by the New York State Education Department's State Board for Mental Health Practitioners as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed marriage and family therapists #MFT-0022 and for licensed mental health counselors #MHC-0031.