Internet Addiction: Diagnosis and Treatment
Presented by Kimberly Young, PsyD on 09-16-2011 at 9 a.m. Pacific to 10:30 a.m. Pacific (1:30 p.m. Eastern)
Research over the last decade has identified Internet addiction as an emergent mental health concern. Most recently, the American Psychiatric Association has considered including Internet addiction as a condition to be listed in the DSM-V.
This web conference will show mental health practitioners how to diagnosis and treat this type of addiction. Assessment issues, various forms of the condition, evidenced-based therapy approaches, and future trends will be covered in this ninety-minute presentation.
This web conference is designed to help clinicians:
- Identify the diagnostic criteria for internet addiction.
- Recognize subtypes of internet addiction.
- Describe one assessment tool for evaluating internet addiction.
- Describe at least one technique for treating internet addiction.
- Describe at least one future trend in the technology addiction field.
If you have any questions about this web conference or would like more information, please contact us here.
All are available to GoodTherapy.org members at no additional cost.
Continuing Education (CE) Information
1.5 CE credits will be provided by GoodTherapy.org for attending this web conference in its entirety.
GoodTherapy.org is an NBCC-Approved Continuing Education Provider (ACEPTM) and may offer NBCC-approved clock hours for events that meet NBCC requirements. GoodTherapy.org solely is responsible for all aspects of the program.
GoodTherapy.org is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. GoodTherapy.org maintains responsibility for this program and its content.
GoodTherapy.org, SW CPE is recognized by the New York State Education Department's State Board for Social Work as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed social workers #0395.
This web conference is available at no cost to GoodTherapy.org members.
This event has already taken place. A recording of this event may be available in the Member's Area.
Meet the Presenter
Kimberly Young, PsyD
Licensed psychologist Dr. Kimberly Young is internationally known as an expert on addiction to the Internet. She is the founder of the Center for Internet Addiction, which she started in 1995. Dr. Young has authored numerous book chapters and articles as well as four books about Internet addiction. Her books on this subject include Caught in the Net (which was the first book to address Internet addiction and has been translated into six different languages), Internet Addiction: A Handbook and Guide for Evaluation and Treatment, Tangled in the Web, and Breaking Free of the Web: Catholics and Internet Addiction.
Dr. Young's work has been featured widely in various media sources such as The Wall Street Journal, The New York Times, The London Times, Newsweek, USA Today, CBS News, Time, CNN, Fox News, The Today Show, and Good Morning America. Dr. Young is also a recipient of the Psychology in the Media Award from the Pennsylvania Psychological Association, and she was awarded the Alumni Ambassador Award for Outstanding Achievement by Indiana University at Pennsylvania. Dr Young is currently a professor at St. Bonaventure University and also serves as an expert on the website Addicted.com.
Continuing Education Provider Approvals
- GoodTherapy.org is Approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. GoodTherapy.org maintains responsibility for this program and its content. GoodTherapy.org received APA approval in May 2011. Events after 2011 may meet APA requirements for Continuing Education credits.
- GoodTherapy.org has been approved by NBCC as an Approved Continuing Education Provider, ACEP No. 6380. Programs that do not qualify for NBCC credit are clearly identified. GoodTherapy.org is solely responsible for all aspects of the programs.
- This course has been approved by GoodTherapy.org, as a NAADAC Approved Education Provider, for educational credits. NAADAC Provider #135463. GoodTherapy.org is responsible for all aspects of their programming.
- GoodTherapy.org, provider #1352, is approved as a provider for social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) www.aswb.org through the Approved Continuing Education (ACE) Program. GoodTherapy.org maintains responsibility for the program. ASWB Approval Period: 03/30/2016 – 03/30/2019. Social workers should contact their regulatory board to determine course approval for continuing education credits. Social workers participating in this course will receive 2 clinical continuing education clock hours.
- GoodTherapy.org, LLC is recognized by the New York State Education Department's State Board for Social Work as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed social workers #SW-0395.
- GoodTherapy.org, LLC is recognized by the New York State Education Department's State Board for Mental Health Practitioners as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed marriage and family therapists #MFT-0022 and for licensed mental health counselors #MHC-0031.