Circle of Meaning: A Narrative Tool for Exploring Spirituality in Clinical Practice
Presented by Patricia A Burke, MSW, LCSW on 01-08-2010 at 9 a.m. Pacific to 10:30 a.m. Pacific (1:30 p.m. Eastern)
Recent research demonstrates a strong relationship between spirituality and the development of a resilient world view. This teleconference explores the meaning of spirituality and resilience as intervening factors in the treatment of and recovery from trauma and addictions. It will also build a conceptual framework and experiential method for the Circle of Meaning, a narrative tool developed by the presenter to help clinicians focus their conversations with clients about their spiritual lives in a respectful and culturally sensitive way. The Circle of Meaning can people enhance spirituality as a resource in combating the negative influence of trauma and addictions in their lives, and it honors and celebrates the diversity and complexity of people’s own meanings, intentions, values, and commitments in recovery.
All are available to GoodTherapy.org members at no additional cost.
Continuing Education (CE) Information
1.5 CE credits will be provided by GoodTherapy.org for attending this web conference in its entirety.
GoodTherapy.org is also an Approved Education Provider by NAADAC, The Association for Addiction Professionals (provider #135463). Of the eight counselor skill groups ascribed to by NAADAC, this course is classified within counseling services.
GoodTherapy.org is an NBCC-Approved Continuing Education Provider (ACEPTM) and may offer NBCC-approved clock hours for events that meet NBCC requirements.
GoodTherapy.org, provider #1352, is approved as a provider for social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) www.aswb.org, through the Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program. ASWB Approval Period: March 30, 2016 through March 30, 2019. Social workers should contact their regulatory board to determine course approval. Social workers participating in this course will receive two clinical continuing education clock hours. GoodTherapy.org maintains responsibility for this program and its content and is solely responsible for all aspects of the program.
GoodTherapy.org, SW CPE is recognized by the New York State Education Department's State Board for Social Work as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed social workers #0395.
This teleconference is available for free to GoodTherapy.org members.
This event has already taken place. A recording of this event may be available in the Member's Area.
Meet the Presenter
Patricia A Burke, MSW, LCSW
Patricia is a Board Certified Diplomat in Clinical Social Work and a Certified Clinical Alcohol, Tobacco, and Other Drugs Social Worker with over twenty five years of clinical and teaching experience. Patricia has been on the faculty of the Rutgers Summer School of Alcohol and Drug Studies since 1989 and the Addiction Technology Transfer Center of New England at the Brown University Center of Alcohol Studies since 1999. She is currently on the faculty of Union Institute & University undergraduate program in the Psychology & Human Development and Religion, Spirituality, & Holistic Studies concentrations. Her most recent publications include three chapters in Psychological Trauma and Addiction Treatment, published by Haworth Press. Patricia is a qualified member of the Motivational Interviewing Network of Trainers (MINT) and maintains a private clinical and consultation practice in West Baldwin and Yarmouth, Maine.
Continuing Education Provider Approvals
- GoodTherapy.org has been approved by NBCC as an Approved Continuing Education Provider, ACEP No. 6380. Programs that do not qualify for NBCC credit are clearly identified. GoodTherapy.org is solely responsible for all aspects of the programs.
- This course has been approved by GoodTherapy.org, as a NAADAC Approved Education Provider, for educational credits. NAADAC Provider #135463. GoodTherapy.org is responsible for all aspects of their programming.
- GoodTherapy.org, provider #1352, is approved as a provider for social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) www.aswb.org through the Approved Continuing Education (ACE) Program. GoodTherapy.org maintains responsibility for the program. ASWB Approval Period: 03/30/2016 – 03/30/2019. Social workers should contact their regulatory board to determine course approval for continuing education credits. Social workers participating in this course will receive 2 clinical continuing education clock hours.
- GoodTherapy.org, LLC is recognized by the New York State Education Department's State Board for Social Work as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed social workers #SW-0395.
- GoodTherapy.org, LLC is recognized by the New York State Education Department's State Board for Mental Health Practitioners as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed marriage and family therapists #MFT-0022 and for licensed mental health counselors #MHC-0031.