'You're Breaking Up with Me?' The Ethics of Termination
Presented by Michael E. Kahn, LPC, JD on 03-27-2015 at 9 a.m. Pacific to 11 a.m. Pacific (2 p.m. Eastern)
The length of therapeutic relationships is often uncertain and dependent upon many variables. No matter the duration, it is self-evident that therapy does come to an end eventually. Ideally, termination comes once treatment is complete, but studies suggest that many people who seek therapy leave after just one or two sessions. Other people may attend multiple sessions and terminate “prematurely.” Therapists, too, may initiate termination.
Termination is a critical element of the therapeutic relationship, and we will address the complexity of the issue in this web conference. We will also evaluate case examples and may watch a film clip or two. Relevant ethical code provisions will also be discussed.
This web conference is intermediate instructional level and designed to help clinicians:
- Describe perceived “failures” in therapy and how to best circumvent them;
- Develop skills for managing termination;
- Determine the goals of therapeutically beneficial and ethical terminations;
- Analyze the elements of and the need for a professional will.
If you have any questions or concerns about this web conference, or would like more information, please contact us here.
Event Reviews from Members
Great examples to determine the ethical goals and ways to handle beneficial terminations. Good outline for initiating termination with clients. I appreciate the practical examples that the presenter used. - Ronit Lev, LMFT
Overall well prepared and did cover meaningful points. The professional will was a really excellent addition for this topic and for ALL therapists to consider in practice. - Howard B. Weithorn, PhD.
Continuing Education (CE) Information
Two CE credits will be provided by GoodTherapy.org for attending this web conference in its entirety.
GoodTherapy.org is also an Approved Education Provider by NAADAC, The Association for Addiction Professionals (provider #135463). Of the eight counselor skill groups ascribed to by NAADAC, this course is classified within counseling services.
GoodTherapy.org is an NBCC-Approved Continuing Education Provider (ACEPTM) and may offer NBCC-approved clock hours for events that meet NBCC requirements.
GoodTherapy.org, provider #1352, is approved as a provider for social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) www.aswb.org, through the Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program. ASWB Approval Period: March 30, 2016 through March 30, 2019. Social workers should contact their regulatory board to determine course approval. Social workers participating in this course will receive two clinical continuing education clock hours.
GoodTherapy.org is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. GoodTherapy.org maintains responsibility for this program and its content.
GoodTherapy.org, SW CPE is recognized by the New York State Education Department's State Board for Social Work as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed social workers #0395.
Premium Membership with GoodTherapy includes access to this web conference at no cost. Not yet a Premium Member? Mental health professionals can attend this live web conference for $29.95 or access the homestudy recording for $14.95.
Meet the Presenter
Michael E. Kahn, LPC, JD
Michael Kahn, LPC, JD has been a counselor for more than 20 years. He received his master's degree from the University of North Carolina, Greensboro, and his law degree from Penn State University's Dickinson School of Law. Michael worked for six years in the Attorney General’s Office for the State of New Jersey and later at the Tulane University School of Law.
Michael offers workshops on diversity, grief, ethics, and other subjects for mental health professionals nationally and internationally, and he provides ethics trainings for attorneys. Learn more about Michael's workshops and trainings at the following websites:
When he isn't busy presenting workshops, Michael enjoys making documentary films. He also contributed a chapter to the book Cinemeducation, Volume 2: Using Film and Other Visual Media in Graduate and Medical Education titled “Saying Goodbye: Loss and Bereavement.”
Continuing Education Provider Approvals
- GoodTherapy.org is Approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. GoodTherapy.org maintains responsibility for this program and its content. GoodTherapy.org received APA approval in May 2011. Events after 2011 may meet APA requirements for Continuing Education credits.
- GoodTherapy.org has been approved by NBCC as an Approved Continuing Education Provider, ACEP No. 6380. Programs that do not qualify for NBCC credit are clearly identified. GoodTherapy.org is solely responsible for all aspects of the programs.
- This course has been approved by GoodTherapy.org, as a NAADAC Approved Education Provider, for educational credits. NAADAC Provider #135463. GoodTherapy.org is responsible for all aspects of their programming.
- GoodTherapy.org, provider #1352, is approved as a provider for social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) www.aswb.org through the Approved Continuing Education (ACE) Program. GoodTherapy.org maintains responsibility for the program. ASWB Approval Period: 03/30/2016 – 03/30/2019. Social workers should contact their regulatory board to determine course approval for continuing education credits. Social workers participating in this course will receive 2 clinical continuing education clock hours.
- GoodTherapy.org, LLC is recognized by the New York State Education Department's State Board for Social Work as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed social workers #SW-0395.
- GoodTherapy.org, LLC is recognized by the New York State Education Department's State Board for Mental Health Practitioners as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed marriage and family therapists #MFT-0022 and for licensed mental health counselors #MHC-0031.