Ethical and Cultural Competence: Working with Arab and Muslim Clients
Presented by Jamila Oden, MEd, LPC on 11-02-2018 at 9 a.m. Pacific (noon Eastern) to 11 a.m. Pacific (2 p.m. Eastern)
Arab and Muslim populations in Western societies continue to grow, and these populations face unique challenges in our current global, political, and social climate. It is imperative for clinicians to develop a better understanding of the mental health needs of these communities in order to provide effective treatment.
During this two-hour continuing education web conference, Jamila Oden MEd, LPC will address culturally-unique aspects of ethnic Arabs and Muslims. She will also explore best practices and ethical considerations for mental health and addiction professionals to utlize and consider when working with these populations.
Jamila will explain how incorporating cultural competence into treatment improves therapeutic decision making. Applying cultural competence to clinical practice offers alternative ways to define and plan a treatment program that is firmly directed toward progress and recovery as defined by both the mental health provider and the client.
This introductory instructional level web conference is designed to help clinicians:
- Explain the importance of a multicultural view of psychotherapy and highlight unique aspects of Arab and Muslim cultures.
- List at least three unique barriers Arab and Muslim populations face to obtaining mental health services.
- Discuss research-supported best practices to improve cultural competence with Arab and Muslim populations and decrease stigmatization.
- Explain the importance of values clarification as a key component of a culturally sensitive psychotherapy practice.
- List at least three community resources for practitioners and clients on cultural competence with Arab and Muslim populations.
If you have any questions, please contact us here.
How the Web Conference Works
Before the scheduled event, all registered attendees will be sent a reminder email from GoodTherapy with specific instructions on how to log in to the web conference center, as well as links to optional handout materials if applicable.
To attend the event, registered attendees will log in to the web conference center using a computer or device (smartphone or tablet with internet access) and calling in to the teleconference line on a phone. Attendees will be able to ask live audio questions via phone and/or submit text chat questions via their computer or device. Attendees who are logged in to the event center will be able to see live streaming video and/or document sharing. Alternatively, attendees may dial in to the teleconference line only, though attendees dialing in by phone only will be unable to ask questions.
At the conclusion of this event, participants will receive an email with information about how to request a CE certificate in the GoodTherapy Member's Area. To confirm attendance, participants must enter the start and end codes announced at the beginning and end of the live presentation. Participants will also be prompted to complete an online survey evaluating the event. Participants will need to complete this online survey within six days after the event. Once completed, participants will be able to download a copy of their CE certificate instantly.
For additional information about this event or our CE grievance procedures, please contact us here.
All are available to GoodTherapy.org members at no additional cost.
Continuing Education (CE) Information
2 CE contact hours will be provided by GoodTherapy for attending this web conference in its entirety.
GoodTherapy is an Approved Education Provider by NAADAC, The Association for Addiction Professionals (provider #135463). Of the eight counselor skill groups ascribed to by NAADAC, this course is classified within Counseling Services.
GoodTherapy is an NBCC-Approved Continuing Education Provider (ACEPTM) and may offer NBCC-approved clock hours for events that meet NBCC requirements.
This organization, GoodTherapy, provider #1352, is approved as a provider for social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) www.aswb.org through the Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program. GoodTherapy maintains responsibility for the program. ASWB Approval Period: March 30, 2016 through March 30, 2019. Social workers should contact their regulatory board to determine course approval for continuing education credits. Social workers participating in this course will receive two clinical continuing education clock hours.
GoodTherapy is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. GoodTherapy maintains responsibility for this program and its content.
GoodTherapy, SW CPE is recognized by the New York State Education Department's State Board for Social Work as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed social workers #0395.
GoodTherapy, LLC is recognized by the New York State Education Department's State Board for Mental Health Practitioners as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed marriage and family therapists #MFT-0022 and for licensed mental health counselors #MHC-0031.
Premium Membership with GoodTherapy includes access to this web conference at no cost. Not yet a Premium Member? Mental health professionals can attend this live web conference for $29.95 or access the homestudy recording for $14.95.
Meet the Presenter
Jamila Oden, MEd, LPC
Jamila Oden, MEd, LPC is a licensed professional counselor in private practice in Oklahoma City. Jamila earned her Master in Education from Oklahoma City University in 2012 and obtained her professional counseling license in 2014.
Jamila has over 10 years of experience working within the community mental health field, both in Minnesota and in Oklahoma. Jamila has received extensive training in multiple evidence-based psychotherapies including motivational interviewing, cognitive behavioral therapy, cognitive processing therapy, acceptance and commitment therapy, and dialectical behavior therapy. Jamila is also a board approved LPC supervisor and enjoys providing clinical supervision to therapists in training.
Jamila has an intrinsic and intimate understanding of Muslim and Arab cultures, as well as partial fluency in Arabic. She is passionate about clarifying misconceptions and promoting understanding of these vibrant, beautiful, and important cultures.
Continuing Education Provider Approvals
- GoodTherapy.org is Approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. GoodTherapy.org maintains responsibility for this program and its content. GoodTherapy.org received APA approval in May 2011. Events after 2011 may meet APA requirements for Continuing Education credits.
- GoodTherapy.org has been approved by NBCC as an Approved Continuing Education Provider, ACEP No. 6380. Programs that do not qualify for NBCC credit are clearly identified. GoodTherapy.org is solely responsible for all aspects of the programs.
- This course has been approved by GoodTherapy.org, as a NAADAC Approved Education Provider, for educational credits. NAADAC Provider #135463. GoodTherapy.org is responsible for all aspects of their programming.
- GoodTherapy.org, provider #1352, is approved as a provider for social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) www.aswb.org through the Approved Continuing Education (ACE) Program. GoodTherapy.org maintains responsibility for the program. ASWB Approval Period: 03/30/2016 – 03/30/2019. Social workers should contact their regulatory board to determine course approval for continuing education credits. Social workers participating in this course will receive 2 clinical continuing education clock hours.
- GoodTherapy.org, LLC is recognized by the New York State Education Department's State Board for Social Work as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed social workers #SW-0395.
- GoodTherapy.org, LLC is recognized by the New York State Education Department's State Board for Mental Health Practitioners as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed marriage and family therapists #MFT-0022 and for licensed mental health counselors #MHC-0031.