Hetty Irmer, LCSW-C
Hetty Irmer, LCSW-C
|Professions: Counseling, Marriage & Family Therapy, Psychotherapy|
|License Status: I'm a licensed professional.|
|Primary Credential: LCSW-C - 13262|
See other therapists in Silver Spring, MD.
See other therapists in Washington, DC.
If we could think our way into the life we wanted, we would already be there. But healing and growth is not simply about thinking. It is about attending to our feelings, accepting ourselves where we are, and believing in possibilities.
For Thinking Women: Are you struggling to feel better about yourself and your life? If you are feeling stressed and overwhelmed, if your relationships are causing pain or confusion, I can help. I know from hard-earned experience that being an intelligent "over-functioner" does not mean we can easily soothe our emotional pain and create a balanced life. I can help you tap into your inner wisdom and strength to create the life you desire.
For couples on the brink: I believe that couples deserve a safe space and a competent therapist to help them navigate their relationship, and move beyond problems to possibilities. I also believe that this work is sacred, and that couples who seek my help are doing so not only for themselves, but for the benefit of their children (if there are any), for their families, and for future generations. I have no pre-determined expectation of how a relationship will unfold. But I do firmly believe that any work the members of a couple do to speak for their feelings (not from them), and listen to their partner from a grounded sense of self can reap many benefits in the future, no matter what the outcome. People can grow; people DO grow as they work with me. It takes a village to raise a relationship, and I want to be part of that village.
Email or Call Hetty Irmer, LCSW-C at 1-800-651-8085 ext. 24098
More Info About My Practice
Areas of expertise: 1) I am "The Thinking Woman's Therapist" - I work well with bright women of all ages who have relied on their intellect, but now have a sense that there is another wisdom that they could learn to access. I help them deal with their moods, with life transitions, and with gaining a sense of purpose beyond work and super-busy and stressful lives as professional, mother, spouse.
2) Spirituality in Daily Life - I believe that spirituality, life purpose, and a sense of belonging to something greater than ourselves are powerful sources of personal strength and transformation. Individuals who seek to have a therapist who honors the spiritual path and who will help them deepen and expand their spiritual growth are in good hands with me.
3) Relationship Counseling - I am passionate helping couples do the important work to build the relationship they desire. It is challenging to be in an intimate relationship. Couples deserve the highest quality support and guidance to move beyond problems into possibilities. The Internal Family Systems model of couples counseling is simple and powerful. It enables couples to see themselves and one another with compassion and curiosity, and to learn how to relate to their feelings and their partner's feelings in a new way.
4) GROUPS for Women -- "Making Sense of My Self" Growth and Empowerment group meets on Saturday mornings in my office. Members have given positive feedback about how it has helped their lives.
What I Love about Being a Psychotherapist
I love the combination of offering practical skills & tools, focusing on strengths, and the opportunity for deep emotional healing that counseling and psychotherapy offers. My personal mission statement is to become the person I was created to become, and to help others do the same.
I have both witnessed and experienced powerful, healing and life-changing transformation through the therapy model that I work out of, called Internal Family Systems or "Parts Work."
I am a certified Internal Family Systems (IFS) therapist, and I teach this model of therapy to other therapists. I love it because it really works!
My Therapy Focus
My work with individuals, couples, and groups is based on principles of Self-Leadership, a research-validated, holistic model of personal understanding and growth. The Self-Leadership model, called Internal Family Systems (IFS) by therapists, consists of concrete skills and resources that enable individuals to:
- Identify distressing thoughts and feelings quickly and without self-criticism
- Develop productive tools to address emotional distress
- Create new pathways in the brain that help to heal past pain
- Look toward the future with a greater sense of capacity and hope
In other words, Self-Leadership skills offer a way to understand one's self with curiosity, heal past hurts with compassion, and step into the future with confidence and courage.
I offer a group for women called "Making Sense of My Self."
This Group is a great fit for the woman who is:
- Struggling to manage symptoms of anxiety, depression, and other mood difficulties
- Experiencing the effects of trauma and abuse
- Feeling disconnected from others
- Desiring to understand herself and others better
- Working to feel empowered and capable in her life
The 6 group sessions include:
- Learning the principles of Self-Leadership through experiential exercises
- Guided meditation practice
- Supportive and confidential discussion
- Practical skills to help manage moods and stress
Services I Provide
- Clinical Supervision
- Group Therapy
- Individual Therapy & Counseling
- Marriage, Couples, or Relationship Counseling
- Online Counseling / Phone Therapy
Ages I Work With
Groups I Work With
Thinking Women seeking a deeper kind of wisdom; People who are stressed out, anxious or depressed; Couples on the brink of separation or divorce; Parents wanting to strengthen their resources and parenting skills; Individuals recovering from trauma
By using this site, you signify your assent and agreement to the Terms of Service.