Membership and Directory Requirements
GoodTherapy.org is an association of therapists who are committed to ethical therapy practices and we uphold the highest standards of any online directory for clinicians. Mental health professionals can join GoodTherapy.org to receive benefits such as online continuing education, media relations and publication opportunities, as well as client referrals through our exclusive therapist directory.
Members must be mental health professionals and agree that the services they provide accord to the Elements of Good Therapy statement. Members who elect to be listed in our online therapist directory must meet additional requirements, outlined below. These requirements support GoodTherapy.org's mission to advocate for and promote healthy, ethical, nonpathologically-based therapy practices.
GoodTherapy.org's online therapist directory lists only the following professionals*:
- Mental health counselors (e.g., LMHCs and LPCs)
- Social workers
- Marriage and family therapists
- Nurse practitioners
To qualify for a listing in the GoodTherapy.org therapist directory, you must:
- have graduate-level academic training and a degree in psychotherapy, counseling, or a related field from an accredited institution.**
- be either:
- a licensed professional***
- a prelicensed professional practicing legally under the supervision of a licensed professional***
- an unlicensed professional in a jurisdiction in which it is legal to practice counseling and/or psychotherapy without a license****
- pass our peer-reviewed online application process. (All applicants are reviewed within one business day.) If you have questions or concerns about the requirements for clinicians listed in our online therapist directory, please contact us here.
* Many of our members also practice related professions such as hypnotherapy and addictions counseling, but in order to qualify for a listing in GoodTherapy.org's therapist directory, it is necessary to be a credentialed professional in at least one field listed above.
** In certain countries outside of the United States, postgraduate academic training may be substituted for a graduate-level degree at GoodTherapy.org’s discretion.
*** Applicants with revoked or suspended licenses are not eligible for a listing in GoodTherapy.org's therapist directory. Applicants who have had a license revoked or suspended in the past, or who have a history of disciplinary action, may still be eligible for membership provided they hold an active license. In these cases, applicants will be asked to provide the GoodTherapy.org review team with documentation and an explanation of the disciplinary action taken against them for further consideration.
**** The scope of practice for an unlicensed professional must be equivalent to that of a licensed mental health counselor, psychotherapist, social worker, marriage and family therapist, psychologist, psychoanalyst, psychiatrist, physician, or nurse practitioner.
CE Sponsor Approvals
GoodTherapy.org is Approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. GoodTherapy.org maintains responsibility for this program and its content. GoodTherapy.org received APA approval in May 2011. Events after 2011 may meet APA requirements for Continuing Education credits.
GoodTherapy.org has been approved by NBCC as an Approved Continuing Education Provider, ACEP No. 6380. Programs that do not qualify for NBCC credit are clearly identified. GoodTherapy.org is solely responsible for all aspects of the programs.
This course has been approved by GoodTherapy.org, as a NAADAC Approved Education Provider, for educational credits. NAADAC Provider #135463. GoodTherapy.org is responsible for all aspects of their programming.
GoodTherapy.org, provider #1352, is approved as a provider for social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) www.aswb.org through the Approved Continuing Education (ACE) Program. GoodTherapy.org maintains responsibility for the program. ASWB Approval Period: 03/30/2016 – 03/30/2019. Social workers should contact their regulatory board to determine course approval for continuing education credits. Social workers participating in this course will receive 2 clinical continuing education clock hours.
GoodTherapy.org, LLC is recognized by the New York State Education Department's State Board for Social Work as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed social workers #SW-0395.
GoodTherapy.org, LLC is recognized by the New York State Education Department's State Board for Mental Health Practitioners as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed marriage and family therapists #MFT-0022 and for licensed mental health counselors #MHC-0031.