Find a Therapist in Staten Island, NY
Clinical Social Worker, Mental Health Counselor, Pastoral Counselor
Age groups I work with: Teens, Adults, Elders
"I am a therapist who believes in hope and embraces faith. We will work together to grow in your understanding, releasing past hurts through forgiveness (i"... Read More
About Staten Island
Staten Island is one of five administrative units or boroughs of New York City. Along with a few smaller islands, it forms Richmond County. Staten Island has 35 miles of waterfront. The island has a land area of 58 square miles.
Staten Island has 479,000 inhabitants. Among these residents, 17,600 are military veterans. The median age in the borough is 40 years old.
The ethnic composition of Staten Island is 62% white, 18% Hispanic, 10% black, and 8% Asian. Foreign-born people make up 22% of the population. Thirty-one percent of people in Staten Island speak a foreign language at home. Staten Island has 46,400 Spanish speakers, 15,400 Russian speakers, and 11,500 Chinese speakers.
Staten Island residents make an average annual wage of $32,700. The median household income is $74,000. Sixty-nine percent of families in Staten Island own their home. Over 13% of residents live below the poverty line.
Mental Health in Staten Island
Substance abuse is a major issue in Staten Island. In 2016, 116 residents died from drug overdose. In 2017, there were 29 suspected cases of drug overdose in a 24-day period. Local health care teams saved over 128 lives in 2017 using the overdose reversal drug naloxone. have saved many lives using the overdose reversal drug naloxone.
Mental health issues impact thousands of people in Staten Island. On average, Staten Island has more mental health cases than other parts of the city. As of 2016, Staten Island’s North Shore has a rate of 956 psychiatric hospitalizations per 100,000 residents. New York City’s average is much lower at 684 hospitalizations per 100,000 people.
- Richmond County (Staten Island Borough), New York. (n.d.). United States Census Bureau. Retrieved from https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/fact/table/richmondcountystatenislandboroughnewyork/PST045217
- Richmond County, NY. (n.d.). Data USA. Retrieved from https://datausa.io/profile/geo/richmond-county-ny
- Staten Island. (n.d.). Encyclopedia Britannica. Retrieved from https://www.britannica.com/place/Staten-Island
- Staten Island’s mental health: 16 troubling trends. (2017, October 19). Retrieved from http://www.silive.com/news/2017/10/staten_islands_mental_health.html
- 29 overdoses in 24 days on Staten Island, D.A. reports. (2017, August 10). Retrieved from http://www.silive.com/news/2017/08/da_29_overdoses_in_24_days_on.html