Topic Experts answer your questions about psychotherapy, mental health, and relationships.
- Why Can’t I Cry?
Dear GoodTherapy.org, My ex-husband is suing me. My kids don’t want anything to do with me. My job is a dead end, and my life sucks. I feel like I have no future ... Read more »
- How Do I Cope with Being the Least Favorite Child?
Dear GoodTherapy.org, My parents have three children, and I’m the least favorite. They’ve never said it in those exact words, but it’s obvious in the way they ... Read more »
- How Do I Feel Like a ‘Real’ Bisexual?
Dear GoodTherapy.org, I’m bisexual. I had a bunch of boyfriends in middle school. My parents joked I was “boy crazy.” But in high school, I started crushing on ... Read more »
- How Do I Fix Trust Issues After Being Caught Cheating?
Dear GoodTherapy.org, I cheated on my girlfriend. Yes, I’m a cheater and I’ll never live it down. I don’t deserve Read more »
- Should I Quit Teaching and Give Up on My Dream?
Dear GoodTherapy.org, I can’t do this anymore. I wasn’t expecting to strike it rich as a history professor. Nobody becomes a teacher for the money. But I thought ... Read more »
- Help! I’m OCD and Pregnant
Dear GoodTherapy.org, I am five months pregnant with my first child and all I can think about is how awful a mother I am going to be. I have bought and read all the ... Read more »
- Help! My Child Won’t Stop Washing His Hands
Dear GoodTherapy.org, Like most little boys, my 6-year-old son is messy. He tracks mud in the house, gets finger paint on the couch, and is basically a whirlwind of ... Read more »
- Help! I’m Catfishing Someone and I Don’t Know How to Stop
Dear GoodTherapy.org, I’m an ugly guy. I used to look okay, but I got a bad injury when I was 11. The surgeon did his best, but … there’s a reason I don’t ... Read more »
- Does OCD Get Worse Before It Gets Better?
- Help! My Partner Doesn't Like to Be Touched
Dear GoodTherapy.org, Have you ever dealt with couples where one partner had issues with being touched? That's the situation I am in now. I have been seeing a guy ... Read more »
- How Can I Help My Adult Child with Depression?
Dear GoodTherapy.org, My adult daughter is incredibly gifted (she tested around 130 IQ), but she has pretty serious Read more »
- Why Won't My Partner Sleep with Me?
- What Is Best for Alcoholism—Rehab, Alcoholics Anonymous, or Both?
Dear GoodTherapy.org, With the help of my friends and family, and particularly a recent Read more »
- Help! I’m Already Forgetting Words
- Am I a Sociopath?
Dear GoodTherapy.org, I recently took one of those online quizzes you see on Facebook sometimes. This one was about whether you're a sociopath or not. I love quizzes ... Read more »
- How Can I Get Out of Depression?
Dear GoodTherapy.org, I have been depressed for what seems like forever. My life took a terrible turn a few months ago: first my boyfriend broke up with me (and took ... Read more »
- Help! My Friend Is in an Abusive Relationship
- Why Is It So Hard for Me to Say No?
Dear GoodTherapy.org, I feel so strung out lately. I definitely consider myself a people-pleaser. I tend to go out of my way to make sure friends, family, and ... Read more »
- Is It Ethical for My Therapist to Work with My Ex and Not Tell Me?
Dear GoodTherapy.org, Several years ago, my wife began seeing a therapist. After a year, she asked that I join her for a session. Afterward, I began seeing the same ... Read more »
- Do I Have an Eating Disorder or Am I Overthinking Things?
Dear GoodTherapy.org, I joined the all-natural trend years ago and loved it. I got more energy, built more muscle, stopped having stomach pains, etc. But my friends ... Read more »
- Help! I Want Real Answers to My Existential Questions
Dear GoodTherapy.org, Lately, I've been feeling like I really don't belong in my life and my body and possibly even this universe. Every time I try and Google this ... Read more »
- Help! I Am Having an Affair and Don't Want to Stop
- Should I Come Forward About Being Sexually Harassed?
Dear GoodTherapy.org, Thirteen years ago, I was a young administrative assistant for a very powerful man who is well known in my community. On more than one ... Read more »
- Help! My Teenage Daughter Hates Me
Dear GoodTherapy.org, My 16-year-old daughter thinks I'm evil. Anytime I try to use discipline, whether it's asking her to help around the house or do her homework, ... Read more »
- Is It Wrong for Me to Want to Date Younger Men?
Dear GoodTherapy.org, Hallelujah! I just retired at age 63 after four decades in the loan industry. I can't wait to see what retirement holds for me. After my ... Read more »
- Who Knows What's Best for Me: My Therapist or Me?
- Why Am I So Sensitive?
Dear GoodTherapy.org, I think I'm more sensitive than most people. I get offended or my feelings get hurt really easily. Even things that don't directly affect me ... Read more »
- Help! I Feel Guilty About Not Giving Gifts This Christmas
Dear GoodTherapy.org, Christmas is coming up and I'm dreading it. I'm so sick of all the commercialization. I'm also pretty much Read more »
- Help! I Don't Want to Hang Out with My Friends Who Drink
Dear GoodTherapy.org, I hope you can help me with something. Recently I decided I don't want to drink anymore. I was never a big drinker to begin with and don't have ... Read more »
- Help! My Partner Is a Terrible Kisser
Dear GoodTherapy.org, A few months ago I started dating a woman who has a lot going for her—great Read more »
- Help! My Husband Snores Terribly and Refuses to Do Anything About It
Dear GoodTherapy.org, My husband and I have been married for 27 years. About 10 years ago, his snoring became intolerable, and they ran some tests and Read more »
- Help! Caregiving for My Parent Is Making Me Resentful
- How Can I Tactfully Address a Labor Imbalance in Our Household?
Dear GoodTherapy.org, Let me start by saying my husband and I have a great relationship and great life. Our three kids are strong and happy, and I feel like as a ... Read more »
- It Needs to Happen, but the Idea of Creating a Will Makes Me Anxious
Dear GoodTherapy.org, I’ve managed to get to age 66 without writing a will. The thought has always terrified me, but now it’s more real than ever. As my kids ... Read more »
- Help! I'm Having Second Thoughts About Quitting My Job
Dear GoodTherapy.org, I left my job about two months ago, run-down and on the brink of something drastic because of how miserable I was. It was an extremely high-Read more »
- Why Can't I Stop Worrying About Money?
- Help! My Teenage Daughter Won't Listen to Me
Dear GoodTherapy.org, My daughter won't listen to me! She is 15 and thinks she has everything figured out. She yells at me all the time and says nasty things. I ... Read more »
- Should I Tell My Partner About My Gender Dysphoria?
Dear GoodTherapy.org, I need some friendly feedback with a problem I am stuck with. I am a 60-year-old male who was diagnosed 23 years ago with Read more »
- Help! How Do You Keep Mutual Friendships Intact After a Breakup?
Dear GoodTherapy.org, My girlfriend and I recently broke up, reluctantly, after two years together. We both felt strongly about remaining close friends, and we ... Read more »
- Performance Anxiety: How Do I Overcome My Fear of Public Speaking?
Dear GoodTherapy.org, I get a lump in my throat just thinking about having to speak in front of groups of people. Well, I had better get over it soon. Next semester ... Read more »
- Help! I Have No Interest in Sex
Dear GoodTherapy.org, Ever since my ex and I broke up a few years ago, my interest in Read more »
- Why Do People Say, 'I Know How You Feel'? They Don't!
Dear GoodTherapy.org, After I suddenly lost my husband to an accident last month, I attended a few grief Read more »
- Why Are We Here? Can Therapy Help Me Understand the Meaning of Life?
Dear GoodTherapy.org, I've been doing a lot of thinking lately about some heavy questions. What is the meaning of life? Why are we here? What's out there? Millions ... Read more »
- Help! My Wife Doesn't Love Me Anymore and Says She Needs 'Space'
Dear GoodTherapy.org, I've been married for nine years and have two children. This past month, my wife told me that she no longer loves me and she needs space. I was ... Read more »
- Help! My Partner Doesn't Seem to Like My Child
Dear GoodTherapy.org, I am a mother of one child, and I share custody of that child with her father. I've been divorced for seven years, and for the last two I've ... Read more »
- How Do I Get My Family to Stop Pressuring Me to Get Married?
Dear GoodTherapy.org, How can I make my family understand that I'm not ready for Read more »
- Help! My Partner Insists on Checking My Phone Messages
Dear GoodTherapy.org, I have been with my boyfriend for going on three years. A couple of months ago, he said he thought it would be "healthy" for us to be able to ... Read more »
- Is It Abuse When My Partner Calls Me Names?
- Is It Healthy to Masturbate to Thoughts of People I Know?
Dear GoodTherapy.org, Some people masturbate to thoughts of faceless figures. Some people masturbate to porn. Some people have fantasies about characters from fan ... Read more »
- I Don't Like Kids. I Don't Want Kids. What's Wrong with Me?
Dear GoodTherapy.org, Everyone I know goes bonkers when they see a kid under the age of, say, 6. "Oh, what a sweet-faced little angel!" they'll say. All I see, ... Read more »
- Should I Try to Find My Biological Parents?
- Help! I Can't Stop Worrying About Getting Sick
Dear GoodTherapy.org, I'm a 27-year-old dental student with no serious Read more »
- How Can I Overcome My Fear of Spiders?
Dear GoodTherapy.org, Okay, so I get that spiders play an important role in the ecosystem. I get that they keep mosquitoes under control. I know they don't hunt ... Read more »
- Is Polyamory Right for Us If We Sometimes Experience Jealousy?
Dear GoodTherapy.org, One of my partners and I have been together for more than three years. About a year ago, we opened our relationship to a third person and ... Read more »
- How Can I Get Noticed at Work If My Supervisor Takes All the Credit?
Dear GoodTherapy.org, I work in an office where there are multiple layers of management, making it hard for the people at the bottom (like me) to get noticed by the ... Read more »
- My Dad Was Sexually Abused as a Child. Should I Talk to Him About It?
Dear GoodTherapy.org, My mom and dad divorced when I was 14. I'm in my forties now. Neither of my parents is in the best of health, and I don't know how much time ... Read more »
- Help! How Do I Deal with All This Resentment?
- Help! I Don't Know How to Say No to My Adult Children
Dear GoodTherapy.org, First, let me say I don't think I'm a great parent, but I do try to be one. I know the way I parent is different than how a lot of people are ... Read more »
- Help! How Do I Tell My Partner I Have an STD?
Dear GoodTherapy.org, I'm pretty sure I met the love of my life three weeks ago. I'm falling for him fast. He's Read more »
- I Hate My Parents—and I Hate Myself Because of It
Dear GoodTherapy.org, I'll just say it: I hate my parents with every fiber of my being. I'm pretty sure they hate me, too. My dad beat me almost every day when I was ... Read more »
- Therapy Isn't Helping. Is My Therapist Stringing Me Along?
Dear GoodTherapy.org, I am hoping you can give me an honest answer here. I have been seeing a therapist for nearly three years now and I just don't feel like it's ... Read more »
- Help! How Do I Get My Husband to Court Me Again?
Dear GoodTherapy.org, I have been married to my husband for 12 years and I love him with all my heart. I would never dream of leaving him, so I want to get that out ... Read more »
- Help! My Friend Expects Me to Solve All His Problems
Dear GoodTherapy.org, I have a close friend who comes to me with all his problems, and sometimes I don’t know how to help. Some small issues I can give advice on ... Read more »
- Help! I Don't Know How to Handle Being an Empty-Nester
Dear GoodTherapy.org, Well, the day has finally come. My youngest child is now all grown up and has moved away, leaving me with an empty nest for the first time in ... Read more »
- Help! My Partner Is Terrible at Communicating
Dear GoodTherapy.org, We've been together about a year and a half, and from the beginning we established a mutual dedication to open communication and sharing as ... Read more »
- My Sister Is Sabotaging My Relationship with My Daughter
Dear GoodTherapy.org, Please help me. I have one sibling, my sister, who has been my closest friend for most of my life. She is two years older than me and newly Read more »
- How Can I Get My Loved One to Rehab?
Dear GoodTherapy.org, My family and I are worried sick about my brother, who has a terrible Read more »
- How Can I Stop Grinding My Teeth? Is It Due to Anxiety?
Dear GoodTherapy.org, For years now, I've had a problem with grinding my teeth, and it only seems to be getting worse. I think it might be hereditary because my mom ... Read more »
- How Can I End My Gambling Addiction for Good?
- Help! I'm Letting Down the LGBTQ+ Community with My Divorce
Dear GoodTherapy.org, After two years of trying everything we could to make it work, my wife and I have decided we need to get a Read more »
- I Want to Be a Therapist. What Personal Work Comes First?
Dear GoodTherapy.org, So I've heard that if you want to be a mental health professional, it's necessary to do your own internal work in Read more »
- How Do I Take Care of Myself While Caring for a Parent?
- How Can I Deal with Profound Regret?
Dear GoodTherapy.org, Throughout my life, I've seemed to encounter many scenarios where I've been presented with choices or opportunities that had the power to ... Read more »
- Will a Therapist Tell My Parents About Self-Harm?
- Help! I'm Afraid of Everything!
Dear GoodTherapy.org, I'm afraid of everything. I seriously mean everything. Spiders, clowns, heights, germs, dying, dogs, small spaces, large crowds, ... Read more »
- How Can I Deal with a Coworker I Hate?
Dear GoodTherapy.org, Please help me figure out how to keep my sanity around this person I have to encounter every day at work. You know how some personalities just ... Read more »
- Help! My Antisocial Personality Diagnosis Terrifies Me
Dear GoodTherapy.org, I started going to therapy a couple months ago as part of a court order after I was arrested (again) for shoplifting. I also have Read more »
- How Do I Convince a Parent to Go to Therapy?
Dear GoodTherapy.org, My mom is nearing 70. She was widowed four years ago, and ever since then she seems to have given up on life. She barely leaves her house, ... Read more »
- Help! I'm Worried About My Child's Aggressive Play
- Is Being Selfish Always Bad?
- Help! I'm a Natural Flirt, but It's Hurting My Partner
Dear GoodTherapy.org, My husband and I have been together for five years and have a great marriage that includes a very satisfying and active sex life. I've never Read more »
- Do I Need to Give My Kids an Allowance?
Dear GoodTherapy.org, My oldest child is 7, and many of his friends receive an allowance from their parents for doing chores around the house. I never gave the idea ... Read more »
- How Do I Overcome the Shame of Sex?
Dear GoodTherapy.org, I grew up in a fairly religious household where sex was rarely discussed (and when it was, it was talked about for the purposes of conception). ... Read more »
- Is It Valid to Feel Fear and Anxiety After Trump's Election?
Dear GoodTherapy.org, The unthinkable has happened: Donald Trump has been elected president. I am reeling from the Read more »
- Help! My Family Doesn't Approve of My Relationship
Dear GoodTherapy.org, I've been seeing this wonderful girl for over three years now, and my parents still have not warmed up to her. She and I are a perfect fit, ... Read more »
- My Partner Is an Addict. Should I Leave?
Dear GoodTherapy.org, First of all, my partner does not hit, abuse, or commit any acts of Read more »
- Help! I Think My Husband Is Gay
- What Can I Do About My Terrible Road Rage?
Dear GoodTherapy.org, I figured it was time to write in with this question since I just got out of my car shaking with Read more »
- Help! I Just Found Out I Can't Have Children
Dear GoodTherapy.org, Please help me cope with the very confusing and conflicting feelings I'm having. I'm 28 and just found out last month I Read more »
- Am I Crazy for Talking to Myself All the Time?
Dear GoodTherapy.org, Apparently, I am the only person in my life who has remained unaware that I have a huge problem with talking to myself and narrating my own ... Read more »
- Am I Nuts for Wanting Liposuction?
Dear GoodTherapy.org, I've been overweight my entire life. I'm now in my 30s and in the "obese" category, and I hate feeling like ... Read more »
- Do I Need to Be More Social?
Dear GoodTherapy.org, I'm reaching out partly at the insistence of a few friends, who all seem to be worried about me and my antisocial habits. I guess the problem, ... Read more »
- Why Are My Dreams So Stressful?
- Can I Heal from Depression on My Own?
Dear GoodTherapy.org, Before you say it, yes, I know it's not ideal or advisable to try to recover from Read more »
- My Parents Are Awful Racists! What Can I Do?
Dear GoodTherapy.org, I recently attended a family reunion (full disclosure: this was in the deep south) and was horrified to discover how closed-minded and bigoted ... Read more »
- Help! Should I Be More Excited About Being Pregnant?
- Is It Selfish to Bring a Child into an Unstable World?
Dear GoodTherapy.org, I grew up in a large, loving family, and thought for most of my life that I'd have a few kids of my own. I do ache for a family all my own, ... Read more »
- War Changed My Husband; Should I Feel Guilty for Leaving?
Dear GoodTherapy.org, Three months ago, my husband returned from his second deployment to the Middle East. I was excited to see him and resume our life together, but ... Read more »
- Am I Horrible for Not Crying at My Father's Funeral?
Dear GoodTherapy.org, I recently attended my father's funeral, which was a very large gathering with family, friends, and people in the community. He touched many ... Read more »
- What Does Love Feel Like?
Topic Experts answer your questions about psychotherapy, mental health, and relationships.
About Dear GoodTherapy.org
"Dear GoodTherapy.org" is published as a community service with the intention of addressing visitor- submitted questions about psychotherapy, mental health, and relationship issues and is edited by Noah Rubinstein, LMFT, Founder and CEO of GoodTherapy.org. This column and any other content on this website is not a substitute for professional advice, diagnosis, medical treatment, or psychotherapy. Always seek the advice of a licensed mental health practitioner without delay with questions you may have regarding any mental health symptom or medical condition. Please never disregard professional advice because of something you have read on GoodTherapy.org.