The Zen of Helping: Self-Care and Open-Hearted Clinical Practice
Presented by Andrew Bein, PhD, LCSW on 03-13-2009 at 9 a.m. Pacific to 10:30 a.m. Pacific (1:30 p.m. Eastern)
In this teleconference, Andrew Bein, PhD, will share ways to cultivate a mindful and open-hearted self that is responsive and effective for clients as well as personally nourishing and generative for clinicians. Andrew will also guide participants through an examination of how the Zen metaphor, "strong back / soft front," can guide therapists in their effort to maintain presence with clients.
Also covered is the application of other Eastern concepts such as radical acceptance and mindfulness. Much of the material for the teleconference is based on Andrew's book, The Zen of Helping: Spiritual Principles for Mindful and Open-Hearted Practice.
If you have any questions about this web conference, or would like more information, please contact us here.
How the Web Conference Works
In short, participants will join the teleconference by calling into the teleconference center and entering an access code. The teleconference will include lecture, interaction, and question and answer periods.
All are available to GoodTherapy.org members at no additional cost.
Continuing Education (CE) Information
1.5 CE credits will be provided by GoodTherapy.org for attending this web conference in its entirety.
GoodTherapy.org is also an Approved Education Provider by NAADAC, The Association for Addiction Professionals (provider #135463). Of the eight counselor skill groups ascribed to by NAADAC, this course is classified within counseling services.
GoodTherapy.org is an NBCC-Approved Continuing Education Provider (ACEPTM) and may offer NBCC-approved clock hours for events that meet NBCC requirements.
GoodTherapy.org, provider #1352, is approved as a provider for social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) www.aswb.org, through the Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program. ASWB Approval Period: March 30, 2016 through March 30, 2019. Social workers should contact their regulatory board to determine course approval. Social workers participating in this course will receive two clinical continuing education clock hours. GoodTherapy.org maintains responsibility for this program and its content and is solely responsible for all aspects of the program.
GoodTherapy.org, SW CPE is recognized by the New York State Education Department's State Board for Social Work as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed social workers #0395.
This web conference is available at no cost to GoodTherapy.org members.
This event has already taken place. An audio recording for this event may be available in the Member's Area.
Meet the Presenter
Andrew Bein, PhD, LCSW
Dr. Andrew Bein, LCSW, has 25 years of experience as a clinician, consultant, trainer, and researcher. His rich work life includes the following settings: substance abuse, private practice, multi-service centers, and work with youth. Dr. Bein has served diverse communities and populations and has conducted nearly 100 national, state, and local presentations on a range of topics related to psychotherapy and counseling. Dr. Bein has been a Zen student for ten years and is a Full Professor with the Division of Social Work at Sacramento State University. For more information about Dr. Bein and his work, please visit his website.
Continuing Education Provider Approvals
- GoodTherapy.org has been approved by NBCC as an Approved Continuing Education Provider, ACEP No. 6380. Programs that do not qualify for NBCC credit are clearly identified. GoodTherapy.org is solely responsible for all aspects of the programs.
- This course has been approved by GoodTherapy.org, as a NAADAC Approved Education Provider, for educational credits. NAADAC Provider #135463. GoodTherapy.org is responsible for all aspects of their programming.
- GoodTherapy.org, provider #1352, is approved as a provider for social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) www.aswb.org through the Approved Continuing Education (ACE) Program. GoodTherapy.org maintains responsibility for the program. ASWB Approval Period: 03/30/2016 – 03/30/2019. Social workers should contact their regulatory board to determine course approval for continuing education credits. Social workers participating in this course will receive 2 clinical continuing education clock hours.
- GoodTherapy.org, LLC is recognized by the New York State Education Department's State Board for Social Work as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed social workers #SW-0395.
- GoodTherapy.org, LLC is recognized by the New York State Education Department's State Board for Mental Health Practitioners as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed marriage and family therapists #MFT-0022 and for licensed mental health counselors #MHC-0031.