Are Your Clients Brilliant at People Pleasing But Long to Be Authentic?
Presented by Lynda Klau, PhD on 04-05-2013 at 9 a.m. Pacific
"The privilege of a lifetime is to become who you truly are." - Carl Jung
How can we best help people heal the people pleaser within and learn how to think, speak, and act from their authentic selves? We begin by articulating the roots of people pleasing, defining authenticity, differentiating the two different paradigms that “pleasers” and “authentics” live in, and identifying the essential variables that facilitate the development of being authentic in our work with people.
We can help those we treat make this journey to the extent that we are conscious of the people pleaser/authenticity relationship in ourselves. In this Web Conference we will focus on ourselves, our issues, and what we can develop in order to become increasingly effective with those we treat. Ultimately we will be concurrently working on ourselves and those in treatment. For example:
- How many of us want the people we treat to like us?
- How many of us do not say what we truly feel for fear of someone leaving treatment?
- How many of us feel abandoned when a person leaves therapy?
This web conference is intermediate instructional level and designed to help clinicians:
- Attune to a person's subtexts;
- Open to a person's negative feelings towards us, or in other words, hold their negative transference;
- Increase our awareness of our counter-transference when people are very angry at us, hate us, leave therapy abruptly, act out their neediness, etc.;
- Differentiate and Integrate—to hold and differentiate our own “pleaser” and “authentic”, as well as that of those in therapy, and then be able to link these differentiated parts. This results in increased integration and well-being for ourselves and those we are treating.
If you have any questions about this Web Conference or would like more information, please contact us here.
How the Web Conference Works
In short, participants will be able to listen to the event by calling in to our teleconference center. Prior to the event, all participants will be sent an email with instructions on how to login to the teleconference center. This event will include lecture, interaction, and question and answer periods.
All are available to GoodTherapy.org members at no additional cost.
Continuing Education (CE) Information
1.5 CE credits will be provided by GoodTherapy.org for attending this web conference in its entirety.
GoodTherapy.org is also an Approved Education Provider by NAADAC, The Association for Addiction Professionals (provider #135463). Of the eight counselor skill groups ascribed to by NAADAC, this course is classified within counseling services.
GoodTherapy.org is an NBCC-Approved Continuing Education Provider (ACEPTM) and may offer NBCC-approved clock hours for events that meet NBCC requirements.
GoodTherapy.org, provider #1352, is approved as a provider for social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) www.aswb.org, through the Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program. ASWB Approval Period: March 30, 2016 through March 30, 2019. Social workers should contact their regulatory board to determine course approval. Social workers participating in this course will receive two clinical continuing education clock hours.
GoodTherapy.org is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. GoodTherapy.org maintains responsibility for this program and its content and is solely responsible for all aspects of the program.
GoodTherapy.org, SW CPE is recognized by the New York State Education Department's State Board for Social Work as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed social workers #0395.
This Web Conference is available for free to GoodTherapy.org members.
This event has already taken place. An audio recording for this event may be available in the Member's Area.
Meet the Presenter
Lynda Klau, PhD
Lynda Klau, PhD, has worked with teams, organizations, individuals, and couples for over two decades as a coach, an integrative psycho-spiritual therapist, and a holistic business strategist. Dr. Klau is a published author and public speaker, and she travels internationally conducting workshops and making appearances on various television and radio programs. Dr. Klau is an expert in the development of human possibility and addresses a full spectrum of issues including depression, trauma, anxiety, leadership, female empowerment, finding one's passion, manifesting one's power, relationship issues, and pursuing one's calling in the world.
Dr. Klau serves on the Board of The Global Association for Interpersonal Neurobiology (GAINS). She has co-hosted a monthly online seminar with Dr. Dan Siegel for professionals in New York City since 2009. She is a member of the faculty of The Association for Spirituality and Psychotherapy’s Graduate Program for clinicians and a former tenured Assistant Professor of Clinical Psychology at Ramapo College in New Jersey. She has trained in Interpersonal Neurobiology (IPNB) and started the company Life Unlimited: The Center for Human Possibility. Dr. Klau's practice is based in New York City, where she lives.
For more information about Dr. Klau, please visit her website.
Continuing Education Provider Approvals
- GoodTherapy.org is Approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. GoodTherapy.org maintains responsibility for this program and its content. APA approval applies to all events listed after May 2011.
- GoodTherapy.org has been approved by NBCC as an Approved Continuing Education Provider, ACEP No. 6380. Programs that do not qualify for NBCC credit are clearly identified. GoodTherapy.org is solely responsible for all aspects of the programs.
- This course has been approved by GoodTherapy.org, as a NAADAC Approved Education Provider, for educational credits. NAADAC Provider #135463. GoodTherapy.org is responsible for all aspects of their programming.
- GoodTherapy.org, provider #1352, is approved as a provider for social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) www.aswb.org through the Approved Continuing Education (ACE) Program. GoodTherapy.org maintains responsibility for the program. ASWB Approval Period: 03/30/2016 – 03/30/2019. Social workers should contact their regulatory board to determine course approval for continuing education credits. Social workers participating in this course will receive 2 clinical continuing education clock hours.
- GoodTherapy.org, LLC is recognized by the New York State Education Department's State Board for Social Work as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed social workers #SW-0395.
- GoodTherapy.org, LLC is recognized by the New York State Education Department's State Board for Mental Health Practitioners as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed marriage and family therapists #MFT-0022 and for licensed mental health counselors #MHC-0031.