Isabel Melo, M.Ed., M.F.T.
Isabel Melo, M.Ed., M.F.T.
|Professions: Marriage & Family Therapy, Psychotherapy, Other|
I'm a licensed professional.
Marriage and Family Therapist - MELI10/07/050
to ask this therapist for billing and insurance information.
As a couple and family therapist, I believe that relationships are central to human experience and I therefore consider it an honour to help people strengthen and deepen their most significant relationships. I believe in people's innate capacity for growth and healing. And I believe these are optimally achieved in the context of relationship.
With couples, I focus on the transformative power of emotion and help partners see that the critical or distancing behaviours they experience from each other actually carry positive intentions for the relationship. I help them to more directly express these intentions by vulnerably reaching out for their partner, rather than critically pursuing them or withdrawing in fear.
My approach with families is to empower parents to parent from a place of intuition and connection. I emphasize non-punitive discipline with a focus on structure, routine and ritual. Most importantly, I encourage parents to nurture and protect their relationship with their child rather than focusing primarily on 'misbehaviour'. It is this relationship that provides the context within which we, as parents, can instruct, correct, guide and inspire our children, and so that they can remain open to our influence as they grow. As children develop into adolescents and young adults, I help parents give their kids the space to grow into their own persons, while maintaining a close and nurturing connection.
or Call Isabel Melo, M.Ed., M.F.T. at 1-800-651-8085 ext. 24523
Specific Issue(s) I'm Skilled at Helping With
I specialize in helping couples repair or restore their connection. I help parents make sense of their children's troubling behaviour and parent from a place of understanding and connection. I help individuals with issues related to adult AD/HD. I run parenting groups and couple workshops.
- Individual Therapy & Counseling
- Marriage, Couples, or Relationship Counseling
- Family Therapy
- Abuse / Abuse Survivor Issues
- Addictions and Compulsions
- Adjusting to Change / Life Transitions
- Aggression and Violence
- Attachment Issues
- Blended Family Issues
- Child and/or Adolescent Issues
- Communication Problems
- Divorce / Divorce Adjustment
- Eating and Food Issues
- Emotional Overwhelm
- Family of Origin Issues
- Family Problems
- Grief, Loss, and Bereavement
- Inattention, Impulsivity, and Hyperactivity (ADHD)
- Infidelity / Affair Recovery
- Life Purpose / Meaning / Inner-Guidance
- Oppositional and Defiant Behavior in Children and Teen
- Pre-Marital Counseling
- Relationships and Marriage
- Women's Issues
- Anger Management
- Emotion Focused Couples Therapy
- Emotion Focused Therapy
- Emotionally Focused Couples Therapy
- Emotionally Focused Therapy
- Existential Psychotherapy
- Family Systems Therapy
- Gottman Method
- Humanistic Psychology
- Integration of different therapy models
- Object Relations
- Other - Not Listed Here
- Parent Work
- Person Centered / Rogerian
- Somatic Experiencing
- Systems Theory /Therapy
By using this site, you signify your
assent and agreement to the Terms of Service.