The Stopping Overshopping Model: Therapy, Case Illustration, Preliminary Outcome Data
Presented by April Benson, PhD on 01-11-2013 at 9 a.m. Pacific to 10:30 a.m. Pacific (1:30 p.m. Eastern)
The Stopping Overshopping model is a comprehensive 12-week experience that draws from psychodynamic psychotherapy, cognitive behavior therapy, dialectical behavior therapy, motivational interviewing, mindfulness, and acceptance and commitment therapy. The program teaches specific tools, strategies, and skills to help those who overshop break the cycle that leads to compulsive buying and develop the ability to lead a richer and fuller life.
Approaching the problem from affective, cognitive, and behavioral standpoints, a wide range of techniques are employed to help each client eliminate self-defeating behavior and replace it with constructive interests, relationships, and competencies. Underpinning the entire program is the non-judgmental stance of radical acceptance, which involves seeing clearly and then holding that with compassion. From the first meeting, clients are encouraged to adopt this centuries old method for eliminating suffering.
Dr. Benson will provide a detailed description of the model, both structure and content, illustrate the model with a vignette of her work with a particular overshopper, and present the results of a pilot randomized controlled study of the efficacy of this model. Results showed significant improvement on (a) all compulsive buying measures, (b) amount of money and time spent, and (c) number of compulsive shopping episodes, all of which were well-maintained at six-month follow-up.
If you have any questions about this Web Conference or would like more information, please contact us here.
All are available to GoodTherapy.org members at no additional cost.
Continuing Education (CE) Information
1.5 CE credits will be provided by GoodTherapy.org for attending this web conference in its entirety.
GoodTherapy.org is also an Approved Education Provider by NAADAC, The Association for Addiction Professionals (provider #135463). Of the eight counselor skill groups ascribed to by NAADAC, this course is classified within counseling services.
GoodTherapy.org is an NBCC-Approved Continuing Education Provider (ACEPTM) and may offer NBCC-approved clock hours for events that meet NBCC requirements.
GoodTherapy.org, provider #1352, is approved as a provider for social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) www.aswb.org, through the Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program. ASWB Approval Period: March 30, 2016 through March 30, 2019. Social workers should contact their regulatory board to determine course approval. Social workers participating in this course will receive two clinical continuing education clock hours.
GoodTherapy.org is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. GoodTherapy.org maintains responsibility for this program and its content..
GoodTherapy.org, SW CPE is recognized by the New York State Education Department's State Board for Social Work as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed social workers #0395.
This Web Conference is available for free to GoodTherapy.org members.
This event has already taken place. An audio recording for this event may be available in the Member's Area.
Meet the Presenter
April Benson, PhD
April Lane Benson, PhD, is the author of To Buy or Not to Buy: Why We Overshop and How to Stop and the editor of I Shop, Therefore I Am: Compulsive Buying and the Search for Self. She has appeared for interviews on national television shows such as CBS Evening News, CNN, The Today Show, Good Morning America, and many more. Dr. Benson holds a Master of Arts Degree in Counseling Psychology and has earned post-graduate certificates in Psychoanalysis from the Institute for Contemporary Psychotherapy. She has been in private practice for over twenty-five years in New York City. Dr. Benson currently serves on the Board of Directors for the Institute of Contemporary Psychotherapy. For more information about Dr. Benson and her work, please visit www.shopaholicnomore.com.
Continuing Education Provider Approvals
- GoodTherapy.org is Approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. GoodTherapy.org maintains responsibility for this program and its content. GoodTherapy.org received APA approval in May 2011. Events after 2011 may meet APA requirements for Continuing Education credits.
- GoodTherapy.org has been approved by NBCC as an Approved Continuing Education Provider, ACEP No. 6380. Programs that do not qualify for NBCC credit are clearly identified. GoodTherapy.org is solely responsible for all aspects of the programs.
- This course has been approved by GoodTherapy.org, as a NAADAC Approved Education Provider, for educational credits. NAADAC Provider #135463. GoodTherapy.org is responsible for all aspects of their programming.
- GoodTherapy.org, provider #1352, is approved as a provider for social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) www.aswb.org through the Approved Continuing Education (ACE) Program. GoodTherapy.org maintains responsibility for the program. ASWB Approval Period: 03/30/2016 – 03/30/2019. Social workers should contact their regulatory board to determine course approval for continuing education credits. Social workers participating in this course will receive 2 clinical continuing education clock hours.
- GoodTherapy.org, LLC is recognized by the New York State Education Department's State Board for Social Work as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed social workers #SW-0395.
- GoodTherapy.org, LLC is recognized by the New York State Education Department's State Board for Mental Health Practitioners as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed marriage and family therapists #MFT-0022 and for licensed mental health counselors #MHC-0031.