The Art of Sex Therapy, Part II: Assessment and Intervention
Presented by Ian Kerner, PhD, LMFT on 01-13-2017 at 9 a.m. Pacific (noon Eastern) to 11 a.m. Pacific (2 p.m. Eastern)
Providing quality sex therapy is an art. It requires the clinician to combine a vast knowledge of sex, sexuality, and human behavior with talk therapy and behavioral interventions. Sex problems are multidimensional and assessing them through a biopsychosocial lens is crucial for the clinician to develop a successful treatment plan.
Dr. Ian Kerner returns to share his knowledge and experience as a successful and well respected sex therapist. In this two hour continuing education web conference, Dr. Kerner will move beyond the clinical theory, principles, and practices of sex therapy he presented during The Art of Sex Therapy to share detailed strategies that have been proven to help individuals and couples both inside and outside the bedroom.
Dr. Kerner will introduce tools for assessment, case formulation, and treatment planning that he has used to help individuals and couples. He will describe how analysis tools specific to sex therapy such as the "Kerner Interview of the Sex Script" and "The International Index of Erectile Function Questionnaire" contribute to a healthy sex life that is supported by a healthy relationship.
This introductory instructional level web conference is designed to help clinicians:
- Discuss common assessment tools used by sex therapists.
- Utilize a specific framework for assessing sexual issues in the initial session with an individual or couple.
- Explain the difference between problematic and non-problematic Core Erotic Themes.
- Formulate a clinical or therapeutic intervention in the form of a first homework assignment.
- Recognize common types of clinical issues that are likely to be encountered in sex therapy along with baseline interventions.
If you have any questions or concerns about this continuing education web conference, or would like more information, please contact us here.
How the Web Conference Works
Before the scheduled event, all registered attendees will be sent a reminder email from GoodTherapy.org with specific instructions on how to log in to the web conference center, as well as links to optional handout materials if applicable.
To attend the event, registered attendees will log in to the web conference center using a computer or device (smartphone or tablet with internet access) and calling in to the teleconference line on a phone. Attendees will be able to ask live audio questions via phone and/or submit text chat questions via their computer or device. Attendees who are logged in to the event center will be able to see live streaming video and/or document sharing. Alternatively, attendees may dial in to the teleconference line only, though attendees dialing in by phone only will be unable to ask questions.
At the conclusion of this event, participants will receive an email with information about how to request a CE certificate in the GoodTherapy.org Member's Area. To confirm attendance, participants must enter the start and end codes announced at the beginning and end of the live presentation. Participants will also be prompted to complete an online survey evaluating the event. Participants will need to complete this online survey within six days after the event. Once completed, participants will be able to download a copy of their CE certificate instantly.
For additional information about this event or our CE grievance procedures, please contact us here.
All are available to GoodTherapy.org members at no additional cost.
Continuing Education (CE) Information
Two CE credits will be provided by GoodTherapy.org for attending this web conference in its entirety.
GoodTherapy.org is an Approved Education Provider by NAADAC, The Association for Addiction Professionals (provider #135463). Of the eight counselor skill groups ascribed to by NAADAC, this course is classified within clinical Intake and screening, clinical assessment, treatment plan, and counseling services.
GoodTherapy.org is an NBCC-Approved Continuing Education Provider (ACEPTM) and may offer NBCC-approved clock hours for events that meet NBCC requirements.
This organization, GoodTherapy.org, provider #1352, is approved as a provider for social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) www.aswb.org through the Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program. GoodTherapy.org maintains responsibility for the program. ASWB Approval Period: March 30, 2016 through March 30, 2019. Social workers should contact their regulatory board to determine course approval for continuing education credits. Social workers participating in this course will receive two clinical continuing education clock hours.
GoodTherapy.org is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. GoodTherapy.org maintains responsibility for this program and its content and is solely responsible for all aspects of the program.
GoodTherapy.org, SW CPE is recognized by the New York State Education Department's State Board for Social Work as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed social workers #0395.
GoodTherapy.org, LLC is recognized by the New York State Education Department's State Board for Mental Health Practitioners as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed marriage and family therapists #MFT-0022 and for licensed mental health counselors #MHC-0031.
This web conference is available at no cost to GoodTherapy.org members.
This event has already taken place. An audio recording for this event may be available in the Member's Area.
Meet the Presenter
Ian Kerner, PhD, LMFT
Ian Kerner, PhD, LMFT specializes in couples counseling and sex therapy, working with both couples and individuals to help them address any number of relational concerns. He also works with individuals who have experienced sexual trauma and those who wish to address issues associated with gender and identity.
In addition to writing a weekly column for CNN Health, Dr. Kerner maintains a private practice and is a staff therapist at The Institute for Contemporary Psychotherapy, a non-profit training and treatment center. He also serves as co-programmer of a New Sex Therapy Series at the same institution. Dr. Kerner studied human sexuality at the Robert Wood Johnson Medical School and earned his doctorate through the American Academy of Clinical Sexologists.
An author and editor, Dr. Kerner has appeared on Today, CNN, and NPR as an expert on the topics of sex and sexuality. He is regularly quoted by the media, gives frequent lectures on topics such as human sexuality and relationship issues, and his recent appearances include the Sex and Attachment conference in New York City and the 2016 Psychotherapy Networker Symposium. His books include:
- She Comes First: The Thinking Man's Guide to Pleasuring a Woman
- Be Honest, You’re Not That Into Him Either: Raise Your Standards and Reach for the Love You Deserve
- Passionista: The Empowered Woman's Guide to Pleasuring a Man
- Sex Recharge: A Rejuvenation Plan for Couples and Singles
Dr. Kerner is a New York City native where he currently resides with his wife, two sons, and their two family dogs. For more information about Dr. Kerner and his work, please visit www.iankerner.com.
* This page contains at least one affiliate link for the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, which means GoodTherapy.org receives financial compensation if you make a purchase using an Amazon link.
Continuing Education Provider Approvals
- GoodTherapy.org is Approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. GoodTherapy.org maintains responsibility for this program and its content. APA approval applies to all events listed after May 2011.
- GoodTherapy.org has been approved by NBCC as an Approved Continuing Education Provider, ACEP No. 6380. Programs that do not qualify for NBCC credit are clearly identified. GoodTherapy.org is solely responsible for all aspects of the programs.
- This course has been approved by GoodTherapy.org, as a NAADAC Approved Education Provider, for educational credits. NAADAC Provider #135463. GoodTherapy.org is responsible for all aspects of their programming.
- GoodTherapy.org, provider #1352, is approved as a provider for social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) www.aswb.org through the Approved Continuing Education (ACE) Program. GoodTherapy.org maintains responsibility for the program. ASWB Approval Period: 03/30/2016 – 03/30/2019. Social workers should contact their regulatory board to determine course approval for continuing education credits. Social workers participating in this course will receive 2 clinical continuing education clock hours.
- GoodTherapy.org, LLC is recognized by the New York State Education Department's State Board for Social Work as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed social workers #SW-0395.
- GoodTherapy.org, LLC is recognized by the New York State Education Department's State Board for Mental Health Practitioners as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed marriage and family therapists #MFT-0022 and for licensed mental health counselors #MHC-0031.