A Thriving Practice in Any Economy: Enjoy a Fee-For-Service Psychotherapy Practice Outside Managed Care
Presented by Ofer Zur, PhD on 07-09-2010 at 9 a.m. Pacific
This presentation will teach participants the basics of how to develop, market, and sustain a thriving fee-for-service private practice outside managed care. This crash course will provide details of how to market and manage a successful private practice, information on how to use modern technologies to serve and attract clients, and ways to intermittently work with current clients throughout their life cycles.
The 21st century has presented psychotherapists in private practice with multiple challenges and an equal number of opportunities. On the one hand, the recent economic crisis has affected most current and potential clients. On the other hand, Internet technologies have opened new opportunities to expand therapists’ services and marketing efforts.
More specifically, this web conference will cover issues such as:
- Therapists' attitude towards money and wealth
- Setting reasonable fees
- Using managed care to operate outside of it
- Marketing 101
- The essentials of practice web pages
- Marketing motto: “I can help you!”
- Intermittent long-term work with individuals and families throughout their life cycle
- Your office is a direct reflection on you!
- Managing your private practice: On being a small business owner
- Internet transparency: When clients Google their therapists
- Employing flexible-ethical boundaries: Home visits, gifts, self-disclosure
- E-mails, texting, Web searches, social networking, other modern digital complexities.
How the Web Conference Works
In short, participants will join the teleconference by calling into the teleconference center and entering an access code. The teleconference will include lecture, interaction, and question and answer periods.
All are available to GoodTherapy.org members at no additional cost.
Continuing Education (CE) Information
1.5 CE credits will be provided by GoodTherapy.org for attending this web conference in its entirety. GoodTherapy.org is also an Approved Education Provider by NAADAC, The Association for Addiction Professionals (provider #135463). Of the eight counselor skill groups ascribed to by NAADAC, this course is classified within counseling services.
This event is available at no cost to GoodTherapy.org members.
This event has already taken place. An audio recording for this event may be available in the Member's Area.
Meet the Presenter
Ofer Zur, PhD
Ofer Zur, PhD, is a licensed psychologist and forensic consultant practicing in Sonoma, CA, and a fellow of the American Psychological Association (APA), Div. 42. He is the director of the Zur Institute, which offers over 100 online courses and is one of the most extensive online CE programs for psychologists, counselors, social workers, MFTs, and nurses. His teaching, consultations, and writings focus on private practice outside managed care, ethics, standard of care, boundaries, dual relationships, and Internet addiction. His books include Dual Relationships and Psychotherapy (Springer, 2002, co-edited with A. Lazarus), HIPPA Friendly (Norton, 2005), Private Practice Handbook, (ZI, 2007), and Boundaries in Psychotherapy (APA Books, 2007).
Dr. Zur is deeply concerned about the harm inflicted by dogmatic, inflexible, and ideologically rigid psychotherapeutic practices, and his website provides dozens of free articles and guidelines, for psychotherapists and the public.
Continuing Education Provider Approvals
- This course has been approved by GoodTherapy.org, as a NAADAC Approved Education Provider, for educational credits. NAADAC Provider #135463. GoodTherapy.org is responsible for all aspects of their programming.