An Overview of Maternal Depression: What Therapists Need to Know
Presented by Andrea Schneider, LCSW, MSW on 10-21-2011 at 9 a.m. Pacific
This web conference will provide clinicians/therapists with a general overview of perinatal mood/anxiety disorders, including their etiology and prevalence, and also delve into the importance of screening practices from conception through the first year postpartum. Andrea will address key assessment questions to ask people in therapy, risk factors, barriers to treatment, and intervention strategies. Myths of motherhood and addressing stigma as relates to perinatal depression/anxiety will also be discussed, in addition to bibliotherapy suggestions and resources for those in therapy.
Although comprehensive, the presentation addresses a subject of specialization that encourages clinicians to further their training in the perinatal area. The presentation will be a general overview and didactic in nature, with ample time for questions and answers.
This web conference is designed to help clinicians:
- Identify risk factors for perinatal mood/anxiety disorders that warrant further screening during pregnancy and through the first year postpartum;
- Differentiate between several differential diagnoses under the umbrella of perinatal mood anxiety/disorders and differentiate which constitutes a medical emergency versus what requires vigilant ongoing assessment (i.e. how is perinatal OCD different from perinatal psychosis?);
- Learn four key interventions for perinatal mood/anxiety disorders;
- Become aware of several resources that are helpful to those seeking treatment for perinatal issues;
- Understand the difference between "baby blues" and perinatal depression and the prevalence of both.
If you have any questions about this web conference or would like more information, please contact us here.
How the Web Conference Works
In short, participants will be able to listen to the event by calling in to our teleconference center. Prior to the event, all participants will be sent an email with instructions on how to log in to the teleconference and video conference center. This event will include lecture, interaction, and question and answer periods.
All are available to GoodTherapy.org members at no additional cost.
Continuing Education (CE) Information
1.5 CE credits will be provided by GoodTherapy.org for attending this web conference in its entirety.
GoodTherapy.org is also an Approved Education Provider by NAADAC, The Association for Addiction Professionals (provider #135463). Of the eight counselor skill groups ascribed to by NAADAC, this course is classified within counseling services.
GoodTherapy.org is an NBCC-Approved Continuing Education Provider (ACEPTM) and may offer NBCC-approved clock hours for events that meet NBCC requirements.
GoodTherapy.org, provider #1352, is approved as a provider for social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) www.aswb.org, through the Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program. ASWB Approval Period: March 30, 2016 through March 30, 2019. Social workers should contact their regulatory board to determine course approval. Social workers participating in this course will receive two clinical continuing education clock hours.
GoodTherapy.org is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. GoodTherapy.org maintains responsibility for this program and its content and is solely responsible for all aspects of the program.
GoodTherapy.org, SW CPE is recognized by the New York State Education Department's State Board for Social Work as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed social workers #0395.
This web conference is available at no cost to GoodTherapy.org members.
This event has already taken place. An audio recording for this event may be available in the Member's Area.
Meet the Presenter
Andrea Schneider, LCSW, MSW
Andrea Schneider, LCSW, MSW, is a perinatal psychotherapist in Glendora (Greater Los Angeles), CA. She specializes in women's reproductive mental health and helps women and their families work through issues such as pregnancy/postpartum mood/anxiety disorders, infertility, perinatal loss (i.e. miscarriage), the transition to parenting, and special needs parenting.
Andrea is the Regional Coordinator for the state of California for Postpartum Support International, where she provides support and training as a volunteer, also overseeing several volunteers who provide phone support. Andrea is also a member of the Los Angeles Perinatal Mental Health Task Force as well as the Inland Empire Perinatal Collaborative, where she supports best-practice perinatal trainings, legislation, fundraising, and networking at a grassroots level.
She speaks and consults regarding perinatal mood/anxiety disorders for many non-profit and medical centers in the Greater Los Angeles Area and has spoken in Seattle at the Postpartum Support International Conference. Most importantly, Andrea is the mother of two beautiful boys, aged five and 10, and she is also a survivor of postpartum depression.
For more information on Andrea and her work, please visit her website.
Continuing Education Provider Approvals
- GoodTherapy.org is Approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. GoodTherapy.org maintains responsibility for this program and its content. APA approval applies to all events listed after May 2011.
- GoodTherapy.org has been approved by NBCC as an Approved Continuing Education Provider, ACEP No. 6380. Programs that do not qualify for NBCC credit are clearly identified. GoodTherapy.org is solely responsible for all aspects of the programs.
- This course has been approved by GoodTherapy.org, as a NAADAC Approved Education Provider, for educational credits. NAADAC Provider #135463. GoodTherapy.org is responsible for all aspects of their programming.
- GoodTherapy.org, provider #1352, is approved as a provider for social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) www.aswb.org through the Approved Continuing Education (ACE) Program. GoodTherapy.org maintains responsibility for the program. ASWB Approval Period: 03/30/2016 – 03/30/2019. Social workers should contact their regulatory board to determine course approval for continuing education credits. Social workers participating in this course will receive 2 clinical continuing education clock hours.
- GoodTherapy.org, SW CPE is recognized by the New York State Education Department's State Board for Social Work as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed social workers #0395.