Positive Psychotherapy: The Application of Positive Psychology in Clinical Settings
Presented by Tayyab Rashid, PhD, CPsych on 06-20-2014 at 9 a.m. Pacific to 11 a.m. Pacific (2 p.m. Eastern)
Based on the concept that strengths can effectively ameliorate symptoms, the positive psychotherapy (PPT) approach integrates strengths and symptoms, resources and risks, values and vulnerabilities. PPT builds optimism, gratitude, love, curiosity, and zest with the theory that strengths will build over time to enhance quality of life and resilience and buffer against future psychological anguish.
Specifically, PPT suggests that nurturing positive emotions, developing character strengths, finding meaning, cultivating positive relationships, and reaching intrinsically motivated goals can assist clients in coping with psychiatric stress.
This web conference will teach clinicians to identify and apply positive resources including positive emotions, meaning, accomplishment, engagement, and relationships to manage symptoms and promote well-being. Positive psychotherapy has been clinically tested, demonstrating promising results in eight randomized pilot studies and three non-randomized studies.
This web conference is intermediate instructional level and designed to help clinicians:
- Discuss the ways that accentuating character strengths, positive emotions, and meaning is empirically linked with therapeutic effectiveness;
- Identify and employ strengths in conjunction with management of symptoms;
- Incorporate strengths into a nuanced therapeutic process without dismissing cultural factors and negative attributes;
- Utilize positive psychotherapy as a stand-alone treatment or incorporate its elements in well-established treatment protocol for various psychological concerns.
If you have any questions or concerns about this web conference or would like more information, please contact us here.
Event Reviews from Members
"This was my favorite of all the GoodTherapy.org workshops I have ever attended! More from Dr. Rashid, please!" - Linda K Lavin, MS, NCC, LMHC
All are available to GoodTherapy.org members at no additional cost.
Continuing Education (CE) Information
Two CE credits will be provided by GoodTherapy.org for attending this web conference in its entirety.
GoodTherapy.org is also an Approved Education Provider by NAADAC, The Association for Addiction Professionals (provider #135463). Of the eight counselor skill groups ascribed to by NAADAC, this course is classified within counseling services.
GoodTherapy.org is an NBCC-Approved Continuing Education Provider (ACEPTM) and may offer NBCC-approved clock hours for events that meet NBCC requirements.
GoodTherapy.org, provider #1352, is approved as a provider for social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) www.aswb.org, through the Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program. ASWB Approval Period: March 30, 2016 through March 30, 2019. Social workers should contact their regulatory board to determine course approval. Social workers participating in this course will receive two clinical continuing education clock hours.
GoodTherapy.org is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. GoodTherapy.org maintains responsibility for this program and its content.
GoodTherapy.org, SW CPE is recognized by the New York State Education Department's State Board for Social Work as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed social workers #0395.
This web conference is available at no cost to GoodTherapy.org members.
This event has already taken place. An audio recording for this event may be available in the Member's Area.
Meet the Presenter
Tayyab Rashid, PhD, CPsych
Tayyab Rashid, PhD, CPsych, is a clinical psychologist at the University of Toronto's Health and Wellness Center in Scarborough. He specializes in positive clinical psychology, multicultural counseling, strength-based resilience, posttraumatic growth, and positive education. Dr. Rashid created positive psychotherapy at the University of Pennsylvania under the mentorship of Dr. Martin Seligman.
Dr. Rashid provides consultation for nonprofit organizations and international trainings for educators and mental health professionals. He has also worked with Asian tsunami survivors, flood relief workers in Pakistan, and families affected by 9/11. Dr. Rashid has authored several book chapters and scholarly papers, and his work has been showcased at the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation (CBC) and in the Wall Street Journal and TEDx.
For more information on Dr. Rashid and his work, please visit www.tayyabrashid.com.
Continuing Education Provider Approvals
- GoodTherapy.org is Approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. GoodTherapy.org maintains responsibility for this program and its content. GoodTherapy.org received APA approval in May 2011. Events after 2011 may meet APA requirements for Continuing Education credits.
- GoodTherapy.org has been approved by NBCC as an Approved Continuing Education Provider, ACEP No. 6380. Programs that do not qualify for NBCC credit are clearly identified. GoodTherapy.org is solely responsible for all aspects of the programs.
- This course has been approved by GoodTherapy.org, as a NAADAC Approved Education Provider, for educational credits. NAADAC Provider #135463. GoodTherapy.org is responsible for all aspects of their programming.
- GoodTherapy.org, provider #1352, is approved as a provider for social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) www.aswb.org through the Approved Continuing Education (ACE) Program. GoodTherapy.org maintains responsibility for the program. ASWB Approval Period: 03/30/2016 – 03/30/2019. Social workers should contact their regulatory board to determine course approval for continuing education credits. Social workers participating in this course will receive 2 clinical continuing education clock hours.
- GoodTherapy.org, LLC is recognized by the New York State Education Department's State Board for Social Work as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed social workers #SW-0395.
- GoodTherapy.org, LLC is recognized by the New York State Education Department's State Board for Mental Health Practitioners as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed marriage and family therapists #MFT-0022 and for licensed mental health counselors #MHC-0031.