Overview of Law and Ethics for Therapists and Coaches
Presented by Patrick Williams, EdD, MCC, BCC on 08-16-2013 at 9 a.m. Pacific to 11 a.m. Pacific (2 p.m. Eastern)
Maintaining ethics is a crucial aspect of any business or human service, and this practice is most crucial in working as a 'helper' or 'healer' where people in therapy assume and expect an atmosphere of trust. Although there are legal aspects to every profession, ethics is a gray area, like codes of behavior. As a result, ethical practice requires critical thinking and adaptive actions based on the uniqueness of a situation that may arise in the professional relationship with a person in therapy.
Dr. Williams will explore various ethical codes but also some simple codes that can apply and be helpful to anyone, regardless of profession. Human ethics interweave with human conduct, and being conscious of choices allows you to evaluate how they may affect you and those in your web of influence or interaction.
This web conference is beginning instructional level and designed to help coaches:
- Distinguish between ethical guidelines and principles and ethical decision making;
- Reference ethical guidelines, similar to the elements of good therapy, in professions such as professional coaching;
- List opportunities and pitfalls of an online therapy relationship;
- Discuss the most common ethical complaints in the therapy field.
If you have any questions about this web conference or would like more information, please contact us here.
Event Reviews from Members
This web conference taught me that ethics are not hard and fast. Often they depend on the circumstances and added details. - Judy Koehler, MA, LPC, NCC
This was a very good review of ethical issues. It was very interesting to hear about how therapists "get in trouble" and what they've done. - Elizabeth Read
All are available to GoodTherapy.org members at no additional cost.
Continuing Education (CE) Information
Two CE credits will be provided by GoodTherapy.org for attending this web conference in its entirety.
GoodTherapy.org is an NBCC-Approved Continuing Education Provider (ACEPTM) and may offer NBCC-approved clock hours for events that meet NBCC requirements. GoodTherapy.org solely is responsible for all aspects of the program.
GoodTherapy.org is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. GoodTherapy.org maintains responsibility for this program and its content.
GoodTherapy.org, SW CPE is recognized by the New York State Education Department's State Board for Social Work as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed social workers #0395.
This web conference is available at no cost to GoodTherapy.org members.
This event has already taken place. An audio recording for this event may be available in the Member's Area.
Meet the Presenter
Patrick Williams, EdD, MCC, BCC
One of the initial pioneers to the coaching field, Dr. Pat Williams is often referred to as the ambassador of life coaching. Licensed as a psychologist since 1980, Pat began executive coaching in 1990 with Kodak, IBM, Hewlett Packard, and other companies in Colorado.
He developed a training program for those specializing in human services and created the Institute for Life Coach Training (ILCT). The Institute trains professionals all over the world, with offices in Turkey, Italy, China, Korea, and the UK.
Pat has taught graduate coaching classes, acted as a curriculum consultant, and was honored as educator of the year by the New England Educational Institute in 2008. Pat is a founding member of Harvard University’s Institute of Coaching and is an honorary VP of the Association of Coaching Psychology. He has served as president for the Association of Coach Training Organizations (ACTO) and co-chaired the International Coach Federation (ICF) regulatory committee.
Pat developed Coaching the Global Village to introduce coaching methodologies to developing countries and to leaders of the nongovernmental organizations and nonprofits who serve in those countries. For this initiative, Pat was awarded the first Global Visionary Fellowship by the Foundation of Coaching in May of 2006. Pat is passionate about coaching and is very dedicated to see that it remains a well-respected profession. For more information on his work, please visit the Institute for Life Coach Training. Pat has co-authored the following books:
- Therapist as Life Coach: Transforming Your Practice (2nd Edition 2007)
- Becoming a Professional Life Coach: Lessons from the Institute for Life Coach Training (2007)
- The Law and Ethics in Coaching: How to Solve and Avoid Difficult Problems in Your Practice (2006)
- Total Life Coaching: 50+ Life Lessons, Skills, and Techniques to Enhance your Practice and Your Life (2005)
Continuing Education Provider Approvals
- GoodTherapy.org is Approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. GoodTherapy.org maintains responsibility for this program and its content. GoodTherapy.org received APA approval in May 2011. Events after 2011 may meet APA requirements for Continuing Education credits.
- This course has been approved by GoodTherapy.org, as a NAADAC Approved Education Provider, for educational credits. NAADAC Provider #135463. GoodTherapy.org is responsible for all aspects of their programming.
- GoodTherapy.org, provider #1352, is approved as a provider for social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) www.aswb.org through the Approved Continuing Education (ACE) Program. GoodTherapy.org maintains responsibility for the program. ASWB Approval Period: 03/30/2016 – 03/30/2019. Social workers should contact their regulatory board to determine course approval for continuing education credits. Social workers participating in this course will receive 2 clinical continuing education clock hours.
- GoodTherapy.org, LLC is recognized by the New York State Education Department's State Board for Social Work as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed social workers #SW-0395.
- GoodTherapy.org, LLC is recognized by the New York State Education Department's State Board for Mental Health Practitioners as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed marriage and family therapists #MFT-0022 and for licensed mental health counselors #MHC-0031.