The Convergence of Neuroscience and Mindfulness: Insights and Practices that Improve Outcomes
Presented by Terry Fralich, LCPC on 12-11-2009 at 9 a.m. Pacific to 10:30 a.m. Pacific (1:30 p.m. Eastern)
In the late 1990s, a dramatic paradigm regarding the ability of the brain to change took place in neuroscience. As a result of this "new" neuroscience," we have a much better view of what is happening in the brain when we get stuck in such negative emotions as anxiety, anger, and depression, and a better view of we can work with these emotions in a way that actually changes the brain. Mindfulness offers practical techniques and practices for working with these negative emotions. The convergence of neuroscience and mindfulness is a powerful combination that can drive change: Neuroscience provides the view, and mindfulness provides the path.
In this 90-minute web conference, we explore the paradigm shift in neuroscience and its optimistic message about the brain's ability to change. In the process, we will consider the primary factors driving changes in the brain. We will then discuss specific mindfulness practices and techniques you can use right away to enhance clients' ability to nurture the healthy change they seek.
How the Web Conference Works
In short, participants will join the teleconference by calling into the teleconference center and entering an access code. The teleconference will include lecture, interaction, and question and answer periods.
All are available to GoodTherapy.org members at no additional cost.
Continuing Education (CE) Information
1.5 CE credits will be provided by GoodTherapy.org for attending this web conference in its entirety.
GoodTherapy.org is also an Approved Education Provider by NAADAC, The Association for Addiction Professionals (provider #135463). Of the eight counselor skill groups ascribed to by NAADAC, this course is classified within counseling services.
GoodTherapy.org is an NBCC-Approved Continuing Education Provider (ACEPTM) and may offer NBCC-approved clock hours for events that meet NBCC requirements.
GoodTherapy.org, provider #1352, is approved as a provider for social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) www.aswb.org, through the Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program. ASWB Approval Period: March 30, 2016 through March 30, 2019. Social workers should contact their regulatory board to determine course approval. Social workers participating in this course will receive two clinical continuing education clock hours. GoodTherapy.org maintains responsibility for this program and its content and is solely responsible for all aspects of the program.
GoodTherapy.org, SW CPE is recognized by the New York State Education Department's State Board for Social Work as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed social workers #0395.
This teleconference is available for free to GoodTherapy.org members.
This event has already taken place. An audio recording for this event may be available in the Member's Area.
Meet the Presenter
Terry Fralich, LCPC
Terry Fralich is a Licensed Clinical Professional Counselor practicing in Maine and the author of Cultivating Lasting Happiness: A 7-Step Guide to Mindfulness. Terry is also an attorney who practiced law in New York City and Los Angeles prior to becoming a counselor. Terry has studied extensively with leading Tibetan teachers, including the Dalai Lama, and with some of the pioneers of mindfulness work. He has taught more than 180 seminars nationwide for psychologists, social workers, and counselors in the application of neuroscience and mindfulness to a wide variety of client issues. He has pursued his own meditation and mindfulness practice for more than 30 years.
Continuing Education Provider Approvals
- GoodTherapy.org has been approved by NBCC as an Approved Continuing Education Provider, ACEP No. 6380. Programs that do not qualify for NBCC credit are clearly identified. GoodTherapy.org is solely responsible for all aspects of the programs.
- This course has been approved by GoodTherapy.org, as a NAADAC Approved Education Provider, for educational credits. NAADAC Provider #135463. GoodTherapy.org is responsible for all aspects of their programming.
- GoodTherapy.org, provider #1352, is approved as a provider for social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) www.aswb.org through the Approved Continuing Education (ACE) Program. GoodTherapy.org maintains responsibility for the program. ASWB Approval Period: 03/30/2016 – 03/30/2019. Social workers should contact their regulatory board to determine course approval for continuing education credits. Social workers participating in this course will receive 2 clinical continuing education clock hours.
- GoodTherapy.org, LLC is recognized by the New York State Education Department's State Board for Social Work as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed social workers #SW-0395.
- GoodTherapy.org, LLC is recognized by the New York State Education Department's State Board for Mental Health Practitioners as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed marriage and family therapists #MFT-0022 and for licensed mental health counselors #MHC-0031.