Narrative Ideas and Therapeutic Practice: What Makes Narrative Therapy Novel?
Presented by Stephen Madigan, PhD on 11-13-2009 at 9 a.m. Pacific
Throughout this 90-minute discussion participants are guided through a step-by-step practice map of narrative therapy. The workshop outlines how David Epston and Michael White used post-structural theory to explain the six key concepts that form the practice map of narrative therapy. Stephen shows participants how the theory shapes narrative therapy's understanding of
- The landscapes of action and identity
- Relational externalizing conversations
- Unique outcomes
- Re-remembering conversations
- Therapeutic letter writing
- Outsider witness teams
Stephen will also answer, in detail, questions regarding any theoretical or narrative practice issue.
If you have questions or concerns about this event, please contact us here.
How the Web Conference Works
In short, participants will join the teleconference by calling into the teleconference center and entering an access code. The teleconference will include lecture, interaction, and question and answer periods.
All are available to GoodTherapy.org members at no additional cost.
Continuing Education (CE) Information
1.5 CE credits will be provided by GoodTherapy.org for attending this web conference in its entirety.
GoodTherapy.org is also an Approved Education Provider by NAADAC, The Association for Addiction Professionals (provider #135463). Of the eight counselor skill groups ascribed to by NAADAC, this course is classified within counseling services.
GoodTherapy.org is an NBCC-Approved Continuing Education Provider (ACEPTM) and may offer NBCC-approved clock hours for events that meet NBCC requirements.
GoodTherapy.org, provider #1352, is approved as a provider for social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) www.aswb.org, through the Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program. ASWB Approval Period: March 30, 2016 through March 30, 2019. Social workers should contact their regulatory board to determine course approval. Social workers participating in this course will receive two clinical continuing education clock hours. GoodTherapy.org maintains responsibility for this program and its content and is solely responsible for all aspects of the program.
GoodTherapy.org, SW CPE is recognized by the New York State Education Department's State Board for Social Work as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed social workers #0395.
This teleconference is available for free to GoodTherapy.org members.
This event has already taken place. An audio recording for this event may be available in the Member's Area.
Meet the Presenter
Stephen Madigan, PhD
Stephen Madigan founded the Vancouver School of Narrative Therapy and Yaletown Family Therapy in Vancouver, Canada as the first narrative therapy training clinics in the northern hemisphere. He holds an MSW, MSc, and PhD in Marriage and Family Therapy. In 2007, the American Family Therapy Academy honored Stephen with their Distinguished Award for Innovative Practice in Family Therapy Theory and Practice. In the spring of 2010, the American Psychological Association will release six "live session" DVDs of his work entitled Narrative Therapy Through Time along with his new book on narrative therapy theory and practice. Stephen is also the clinical lead with a Housing First ACT Team for the Canadian Federal Mental Health Commission's (new) $110 million, five-city, four-year research project on homelessness, mental health, and substance use.
Continuing Education Provider Approvals
- GoodTherapy.org has been approved by NBCC as an Approved Continuing Education Provider, ACEP No. 6380. Programs that do not qualify for NBCC credit are clearly identified. GoodTherapy.org is solely responsible for all aspects of the programs.
- This course has been approved by GoodTherapy.org, as a NAADAC Approved Education Provider, for educational credits. NAADAC Provider #135463. GoodTherapy.org is responsible for all aspects of their programming.
- GoodTherapy.org, provider #1352, is approved as a provider for social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) www.aswb.org through the Approved Continuing Education (ACE) Program. GoodTherapy.org maintains responsibility for the program. ASWB Approval Period: 03/30/2016 – 03/30/2019. Social workers should contact their regulatory board to determine course approval for continuing education credits. Social workers participating in this course will receive 2 clinical continuing education clock hours.
- GoodTherapy.org, LLC is recognized by the New York State Education Department's State Board for Social Work as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed social workers #SW-0395.
- GoodTherapy.org, LLC is recognized by the New York State Education Department's State Board for Mental Health Practitioners as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed marriage and family therapists #MFT-0022 and for licensed mental health counselors #MHC-0031.