Presented by Stephen Jenkinson, MTS, MSW on 05-10-2013 at 9 a.m. Pacific to 10:30 a.m. Pacific (1:30 p.m. Eastern)
In a death-phobic culture, grief is the great scourge, the intruder; it is treated, contained, and managed. Death phobia begets grief illiteracy. In a sane, intact culture, grief is wisdom. Grief means that you get it. This continuing education presentation will yearn in the direction of intactness, deep culture, and that particular wisdom that is our birthright. Stephen will be sharing some of his insight as he did in the documentary Grief Walker.
This web conference is intermediate instructional level and designed to help clinicians:
- Critically reassess the attachment/loss etiology of grief;
- Critically reassess the professional pathologizing of grief;
- Reimagine grief not as a coping strategy but as a skill of living;
- Reimagine dying as a village making event and grief as a village making skill.
If you have any questions about this event or would like more information, please contact us here.
Event Reviews from Members
"I appreciated the presenter's overall view of grief. It is so completely different from what we learn in school and how our society dictates that we process (aka "get over") our pain and emotional response to death." - Jessi Eden Brown, MS, LMHC, LPC
"I thought Stephen was a wonderfully eloquent speaker and a remarkable person. His presence--even by telephone--was such a gift." - William Tracy Atkinson, MS, LPC, CRC
All are available to GoodTherapy.org members at no additional cost.
Continuing Education (CE) Information
1.5 CE credits will be provided by GoodTherapy.org for attending this web conference in its entirety.
GoodTherapy.org is also an Approved Education Provider by NAADAC, The Association for Addiction Professionals (provider #135463). Of the eight counselor skill groups ascribed to by NAADAC, this course is classified within counseling services.
GoodTherapy.org is an NBCC-Approved Continuing Education Provider (ACEPTM) and may offer NBCC-approved clock hours for events that meet NBCC requirements.
GoodTherapy.org, provider #1352, is approved as a provider for social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) www.aswb.org, through the Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program. ASWB Approval Period: March 30, 2016 through March 30, 2019. Social workers should contact their regulatory board to determine course approval. Social workers participating in this course will receive two clinical continuing education clock hours.
GoodTherapy.org is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. GoodTherapy.org maintains responsibility for this program and its content.
GoodTherapy.org, SW CPE is recognized by the New York State Education Department's State Board for Social Work as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed social workers #0395.
This web conference is available at no cost to GoodTherapy.org members.
This event has already taken place. An audio recording for this event may be available in the Member's Area.
Meet the Presenter
Stephen Jenkinson, MTS, MSW
Stephen Jenkinson, MTS, MSW, is a spiritual activist, teacher, author, storyteller, ceremonialist, and farmer. He has master’s degrees in theology from Harvard University and in social work from the University of Toronto (Social Work). Upon completion of an apprenticeship with a musician storyteller, he worked with people who were dying and their loved ones. As an assistant professor in a prominent Canadian medical school, he is now an advocate and educator in the helping professions. Stephen was a former program director for a major hospital in Canada, and he consults hospice organizations and redefines what it means to die well.
Stephen is the author of Homecoming: The Haiku Sessions (a live recorded teaching, 2012), How it All Could Be: A work book for dying people and those who love them (2009), Angel and Executioner: Grief and the Love of Life (a live recorded teaching, 2009), and Money and The Soul’s Desires: A Meditation (2002). He is also a contributing author to Palliative Care - Core Skills and Clinical Competencies (2007). Stephen is also the subject of Griefwalker, a National Film Board of Canada feature length film documentary (2008). He teaches what he has learned at the Orphan Wisdom School, which he created in 2010.
Stephen is revolutionizing the way people grieve and die in North America. In addition to his work with grief, Stephen is a traditional canoe builder, sculptor, and farmer whose house won a Governor General’s Award for architecture. Stephen travels and teaches internationally.
Continuing Education Provider Approvals
- GoodTherapy.org is Approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. GoodTherapy.org maintains responsibility for this program and its content. GoodTherapy.org received APA approval in May 2011. Events after 2011 may meet APA requirements for Continuing Education credits.
- GoodTherapy.org has been approved by NBCC as an Approved Continuing Education Provider, ACEP No. 6380. Programs that do not qualify for NBCC credit are clearly identified. GoodTherapy.org is solely responsible for all aspects of the programs.
- This course has been approved by GoodTherapy.org, as a NAADAC Approved Education Provider, for educational credits. NAADAC Provider #135463. GoodTherapy.org is responsible for all aspects of their programming.
- GoodTherapy.org, provider #1352, is approved as a provider for social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) www.aswb.org through the Approved Continuing Education (ACE) Program. GoodTherapy.org maintains responsibility for the program. ASWB Approval Period: 03/30/2016 – 03/30/2019. Social workers should contact their regulatory board to determine course approval for continuing education credits. Social workers participating in this course will receive 2 clinical continuing education clock hours.
- GoodTherapy.org, LLC is recognized by the New York State Education Department's State Board for Social Work as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed social workers #SW-0395.
- GoodTherapy.org, LLC is recognized by the New York State Education Department's State Board for Mental Health Practitioners as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed marriage and family therapists #MFT-0022 and for licensed mental health counselors #MHC-0031.