As a clinician, it is important to recognize, understand, and compare the distinct differences and dynamics between gay men and lesbian couples. In this presentation, Dr. Kort will distinguish the differences in relationship dynamics between homosexual relationships and heterosexual relationships and will explore possible predicaments that may arise for lesbian women and gay men, such as:
• the desire for more integration among gay men
• responsible sexual practices
• lack of sexual desire
Participants will learn practical assessment tools and precise intervention skills that promote gay affirmative couples therapy.
This web conference is designed to help clinicians:
1) Assess psychological trauma of growing up gay and lesbian;
2) Recognize stages of coming out and how to work with couples at different stages;
3) Learn about the "doubling" factor of two members of the same gender and how this plays out in their relationship conflicts;
4) Examine attitudes and myths that can get in the way of effective therapy;
5) Utilize specific interventions and assessment tools that promote gay affirmative therapy (GAT) with same sex couples.
If you have any questions about this web conference, or would like more information, please contact us here.
Joe Kort, PhD, LMSW
Joe Kort, PhD, LMSW is a board certified sexologist and the founder of The Center for Relationship and Sexual Health and Joe Kort & Associates. Dr. Kort, a therapist, coach, and author, has been practicing psychotherapy since 1985. He specializes in sex therapy, gay affirmative psychotherapy, treatment for sex addiction, and IMAGO relationship therapy designed for couples to enhance their relationship through improved communication. Dr. Kort is the author of several books, including:
• 10 Smart Things Gay Men Can Do To Improve Their Lives
• 10 Smart Things Gay Men Can Do To Find Real Love
• Gay Affirmative Therapy for the Straight Clinician
This 90-minute presentation will begin at 9:00 AM PACIFIC on 06-21-2013
1.5 CE credits will be provided by GoodTherapy.org for attending this Web Conference in its entirety. GoodTherapy.org is approved as a continuing education provider by the National Board for Certified Counselors (NBCC) and the California Board of Behavioral Sciences (BBS). “GoodTherapy.org" is an NBCC-Approved Continuing Education Provider (ACEPTM) and may offer NBCC-approved clock hours for events that meet NBCC requirements. GoodTherapy.org solely is responsible for all aspects of the program. GoodTherapy.org is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. GoodTherapy.org maintains responsibility for this program and its content.
In short, participants will be able to listen to the event by calling in to our teleconference center. Prior to the event, all participants will be sent an email with instructions on how to login to the teleconference center. This event will include lecture, interaction, and question and answer periods.
This continuing education event is available at no cost to GoodTherapy.org members.