Gay Affirmative Couples Therapy
Presented by Joe Kort, PhD, LMSW on 06-21-2013 at 9 a.m. Pacific
As a clinician, it is important to recognize, understand, and compare the distinct differences and dynamics between gay men and lesbian couples. In this presentation, Dr. Kort will distinguish the differences in relationship dynamics between homosexual relationships and heterosexual relationships and will explore possible predicaments that may arise for lesbian women and gay men, such as:
- the desire for more integration among gay men
- responsible sexual practices
- lack of sexual desire
Participants will learn practical assessment tools and precise intervention skills that promote gay affirmative couples therapy.
This web conference is intermediate instructional level and designed to help clinicians:
- Assess psychological trauma of growing up gay and lesbian;
- Recognize stages of coming out and how to work with couples at different stages;
- Learn about the "doubling" factor of two members of the same gender and how this plays out in their relationship conflicts;
- Examine attitudes and myths that can get in the way of effective therapy;
- Utilize specific interventions and assessment tools that promote gay affirmative therapy (GAT) with same sex couples.
If you have any questions about this web conference or would like more information, please contact us here.
How the Web Conference Works
In short, participants will be able to listen to the event by calling in to our teleconference center. Prior to the event, all participants will be sent an email with instructions on how to login to the teleconference center. This event will include lecture, interaction, and question and answer periods.
All are available to GoodTherapy.org members at no additional cost.
Continuing Education (CE) Information
1.5 CE credits will be provided by GoodTherapy.org for attending this web conference in its entirety. GoodTherapy.org is approved as a continuing education provider by the California Board of Behavioral Sciences (BBS). Course meets the qualifications for two hours of continuing education credit for MFTs and/or LCSWs as required by the California Board of Behavioral Sciences.
GoodTherapy.org is also an Approved Education Provider by NAADAC, The Association for Addiction Professionals (provider #135463). Of the eight counselor skill groups ascribed to by NAADAC, this course is classified within counseling services.
GoodTherapy.org is an NBCC-Approved Continuing Education Provider (ACEPTM) and may offer NBCC-approved clock hours for events that meet NBCC requirements.
GoodTherapy.org, provider #1352, is approved as a provider for social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) www.aswb.org, through the Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program. ASWB Approval Period: March 30, 2016 through March 30, 2019. Social workers should contact their regulatory board to determine course approval. Social workers participating in this course will receive two clinical continuing education clock hours.
GoodTherapy.org is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. GoodTherapy.org maintains responsibility for this program and its content and is solely responsible for all aspects of the program.
This continuing education event is available at no cost to GoodTherapy.org members.
This event has already taken place. An audio recording for this event may be available in the Member's Area.
Event Reviews from Members
"Outstanding!" - Denise Humphrey, PhD
"Excellent presentation." - Howard Sharp, LPC
"It was fantastic!" - Sarah Noel, MS, LMHC
Meet the Presenter
Joe Kort, PhD, LMSW
Joe Kort, PhD, LMSW, is a board certified sexologist and the founder of The Center for Relationship and Sexual Health and Joe Kort & Associates. Dr. Kort, a therapist, coach, and author, has been practicing psychotherapy since 1985. He specializes in sex therapy, gay affirmative psychotherapy, treatment for sex addiction, and IMAGO relationship therapy designed for couples to enhance their relationship through improved communication. Dr. Kort is the author of several books, including:
- 10 Smart Things Gay Men Can Do To Improve Their Lives
- 10 Smart Things Gay Men Can Do To Find Real Love
- Gay Affirmative Therapy for the Straight Clinician
- GoodTherapy.org is Approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. GoodTherapy.org maintains responsibility for this program and its content. APA approval applies to all events listed after May 2011.
- GoodTherapy.org has been approved by NBCC as an Approved Continuing Education Provider, ACEP No. 6380. Programs that do not qualify for NBCC credit are clearly identified. GoodTherapy.org is solely responsible for all aspects of the programs.
- GoodTherapy.org is approved by the California Board of Behavioral Sciences (BBS) to provide continuing education credits; provider #4678.
- This course has been approved by GoodTherapy.org, as a NAADAC Approved Education Provider, for educational credits. NAADAC Provider #135463. GoodTherapy.org is responsible for all aspects of their programming.
- GoodTherapy.org, provider #1352, is approved as a provider for social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) www.aswb.org through the Approved Continuing Education (ACE) Program. GoodTherapy.org maintains responsibility for the program. ASWB Approval Period: 03/30/2016 – 03/30/2019. Social workers should contact their regulatory board to determine course approval for continuing education credits. Social workers participating in this course will receive 2 clinical continuing education clock hours.