With the growth of the Internet, Web 2.0 and interactive social media, many counselors are having a difficult time keeping up with the ethics of maintaining an ethical online presence. Many Codes of Ethics representing the major mental health disciplines have not incorporated the use of social media. Because of the need to establish ground rules regarding such use, the Online Therapy Institute has created the Ethical Framework for the Use of Social Media by Mental Health Professionals.
This Web Conference is designed to help clinicians:
1) Understand Social Media and Web 2.0 concepts including the use of social media and social networking for collaboration and/or marketing efforts;
2) Determine when social networking efforts may result in dual relationships with clients;
3) Identify the risks of sharing client information on the internet in unencrypted and non-therapeutic environments;
4) List the possible risks of maintaining profiles on directories that rate therapy services and promote the use of client testimonials and feedback.
If you have any questions about this Web Conference, or would like more information, please contact us here.
1. Anthony, K. & Goss, S. (2009). Guidelines for Online Counselling and Psychotherapy 3rd Edition including Guidelines for Online Supervision. BACP Publishing, Rugby
2. Anthony, K. & Nagel, D.M. (2009). Online therapy: A practical guide. Sage Publishing: London.
3. Kolmes, K. (2010, February 1). Private Practice Social Media Policy. (Retrieved October 26 2010) from http://www.drkkolmes.com/docs/socmed.pdf
4. Kolmes, K., Nagel, D.M. & Anthony, K. (2011). “An Ethical Framework for the Use of Social Media by Mental Health Professionals”. Therapeutic Innovations in Light of Technology, Vol 1 (3): 20-29 http://issuu.com/onlinetherapyinstitute/docs/issue3/20
5. Nagel, D.M. & Anthony, K. (2009). Writing therapy using new technologies- the art of blogging. Journal of poetry therapy, 2009, 22(1).
DeeAnna Merz Nagel, LPC, DCC
DeeAnna Merz Nagel, LPC, DCC is a psychotherapist and an international consultant with expertise in online counseling and how the impact of technology affects mental health. She is one of the co-founders of the Online Therapy Institute as well as the Online Coach Institute where training and consultations are offered. She is the Managing Co-Editor of TILT Magazine ~ Therapeutic Innovations in Light of Technology, which is a FREE resource for professional coaches and therapists. She has published and presented on topics in regards to the mental health practitioners ethical considerations in the virtual world environment, social networking and online counseling.
She has written several articles and book chapters on mental health and technology. She has also edited and co-authored two text-books. DeeAnna is a graduate from the University of Georgia with a M.Ed. in Rehabilitation Counseling and currently has a license to practice in New York, Georgia, and New Jersey. She is also a Certified Rehabilitation Counselor, Distance Credentialed Counselor, and Board Certified Coach. She maintains a private practice in Atlantic Highlands, NJ. For more information, please visit: www.jerseyshoretherapy.com
1.5 CE credits will be provided by GoodTherapy.org for attending this Web Conference in its entirety. GoodTherapy.org is approved as a continuing education provider by the National Board for Certified Counselors (NBCC) and the California Board of Behavioral Sciences (BBS). “GoodTherapy.org" is an NBCC-Approved Continuing Education Provider (ACEPTM) and may offer NBCC-approved clock hours for events that meet NBCC requirements. GoodTherapy.org solely is responsible for all aspects of the program. GoodTherapy.org is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. GoodTherapy.org maintains responsibility for this program and its content.
In short, participants will be able to listen to the event by calling in to our teleconference center. Prior to the event, all participants will be sent an email with instructions on how to login to the teleconference center. This event will include lecture, interaction, and question and answer periods.
This Web Conference is available for free to GoodTherapy.org Members.
This event has already taken place. An audio recording for this event may be available in the Member's Area.